Honored Contributor

Re: People who lack Drive and Motivation

@JBKOwrote:

Hi Cherry. We have to tag-team in certain areas of our job and she makes so many mistakes. I have to clean up her mess. I've let her know gently and given her friendly reminder. To me, she has the demeanor of someone who doesn't really care. Maybe if she wasn't on her cell phone or listening to music...

@JBKO  Ok so now you are upgrading the situation by saying she is on her phone and listening to music.

If you are so troubled by this co-worker, my advice is to speak to a supervisor.  If you have and the situation has not changed, then you have decisions to make.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO, sounds like a kinda mean post to me.

This is a co-worker, which sounds like you are not her supervisor who is the only one who can properly evaluate this co-worker,  quality of work  and set goals and guidance.  

Perhaps you should strive to adopt some of her "niceness"; perhaps, you should strive to become less judgemental.  It's quite possible that this nice co-worker could be running loops around you regarding quality and quantity of work output.  In any case, it's none of your business.

You only need to be concerned about yourself and let others function as they so chose.  You are not the boss.  And, if you ever rise to that level, I hope you've learned and adopted some much needed traits along the way:  being nice is one of them.

Honored Contributor

People that aren't able to function,  are doing the best they can.  I would nicely ask your supervisor t,o talk to her about the phone and the music.

Beyond that,  just do your best ,and perhaps , you will be able to show her how things should be done, by being a good example

Honored Contributor

@JBKOwrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'll try to keep this pretty brief, but I wanted to share and get your thoughts. I have a coworker who has no drive, no motiviation, and no zest for life really. She kind of reminds me of those cartoons who you only know they're alive because the little black dots they have as eyes blink every so often lol. Anyhow, it has made me realize how I really hope I never end up working with someone else like her. She is not mean at all; I'd never characterize her as a nasty person. However, she does the bare mininum and there is a carelessness that runs through her work. I am someone who cares about the quality of my work and she doesn't. She's a seat warmer who is only there for a check. 

I just wanted to bring this up because it has truly made me realize and appreciate all those people who are innovative, who have a passion, who are creative and have changed the world with their ingenuity. I really think that our organization would completely fall apart it everyone in every department was like her! She's never badmouthed anyone but she's never brought up a good idea either! If she was a scent, she'd be scentless. If she was a flavor, she'd be flavorless. Curious to know how you all feel because it has truly made me aware of how being nice is very important, but you really need more to get to that next level.

Wow!  Because she is very different from you, you are simply dismissing her as a person and being critical of her personality in a very harsh way.  So she isn't like you.  At least she isn't competing with you for the attention and kudos at work.  And you know, your department might do quite well without people like you if everyone simply came to work and did their job.  Maybe a lot of their attention is foused on whatever their life consists of out of work.  Maybe she is working to make a living. 

Sorry, but I think your comments were terribly demeaning to someone just because they don't live for work.  

Trusted Contributor

I've actually given this coworker the benefit of the doubt so many times and anytime I learn something that may be helpful to her, I make sure to share. 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

I didn't want to mention it because I don't want to highlight all the negative, but this is someone who is pertually late on top of things. 

Honored Contributor

She sounds depressed to me and maybe this job is not what she really wants to do. I would leave her alone if you don't intend to find out why she is the way she is. Her employer will no doubt have a talk with her at some point if she's not performing up to par.

Honored Contributor

If she is such a poor employee, why hasn't the supervisor talked to her? 

Trusted Contributor

Everyone who has mentioned that our supervisor should/ will speak with her, is on the money. I still stand by everything I said in my original post. I was able to make a realization that I probably wouldn't have if I was working with my former coworker, for example.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO  you are an employee, the same as her right?   I don't think it is your job, to decide  that she is the way you post about her.

That is the job of management..You don't have to like it, but you should try to get along with her, all the same