Honored Contributor

Re: People who lack Drive and Motivation

@JBKOwrote:

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. My birthday is actually today! Dinner last night was really nice.

In most jobs, you're evaluated on how well you meet your expectations. Are you exceeding, are you just meeting them, are you falling short?I really can't believe that expecting an employee to meet those expectations is a controversial topic. 

It's been implied that I am an over-achiever and that that may have it's drawback. Maybe she's an underachiever?

Or maybe you just don't play well with others. LOL Why don't you start your own company? That way you can pick and choose whom you wish to work with. Certainly after your vivid description of your superior intellect, it should be a breeze for you.

Honored Contributor

I suspect those defending the inept co-worker are just like her.
Honored Contributor

You are not her boss, keep your mouth shut, do the job you are paid for and that is it. Things like this have a way of coming back to bite you 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Respected Contributor

@Moonchildewrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

This pretty much sums up an article I read recently on "priviledge" (which apparently extends beyond what you'd generally think - is much more than just race/gender) which includes things like internal motivation, perserverence, etc. - and which -  makes it totally unfair to expect a coworker to actually do her job - because she just may not have the motivation, energy, concern about doing it right and/or creating work for others to "clean up"  etc.  She has just as much "right" to the job as the more industrious coworker and it is morally wrong to expect more from her.

@Isobel Archer, the article sounds interesting. Any chance you can point us in the direction of where to find it?

I tried - it was deleted as inappropriate just now.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Moonchildewrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

This pretty much sums up an article I read recently on "priviledge" (which apparently extends beyond what you'd generally think - is much more than just race/gender) which includes things like internal motivation, perserverence, etc. - and which -  makes it totally unfair to expect a coworker to actually do her job - because she just may not have the motivation, energy, concern about doing it right and/or creating work for others to "clean up"  etc.  She has just as much "right" to the job as the more industrious coworker and it is morally wrong to expect more from her.

@Isobel Archer, the article sounds interesting. Any chance you can point us in the direction of where to find it?

I tried - it was deleted as inappropriate just now.

How strange. Thanks anyway.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainwrote:
I suspect those defending the inept co-worker are just like her.

@occasionalrain  The ineptness is in the eye of the beholder, being the OP.

She asked what people thought; I don't view my response as defending her but offering some thoughts.

Asked and answered.  I'd say more but I'm not motivated enough.Woman Tongue

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I have worked with people like this.  They are counting the days until they retire when they are in their 20s.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Isobel Archer, just going by your paraphrasing, I suspect that the writer was making some leaps of logic based on his or her political beliefs. Nothing wrong with that, but this thread is from the perspective of one who is presumed to be motivated, not from one who the writer would describe as lacking such qualities.

No one here is suggesting that the if a coworker's attitude is hurting the business, she should be given a pass; some of us are homing in on what appears to be a chest-thumping brag of sorts  on the OP.

The writer sounds as if he or she is just adding to the political POV that loves to label people as being lazy and weak.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Isobel Archer, just going by your paraphrasing, I suspect that the writer was making some leaps of logic based on his or her political beliefs. Nothing wrong with that, but this thread is from the perspective of one who is presumed to be motivated, not from one who the writer would describe as lacking such qualities.

No one here is suggesting that the if a coworker's attitude is hurting the business, she should be given a pass; some of us are homing in on what appears to be a chest-thumping brag of sorts  on the OP.

The writer sounds as if he or she is just adding to the political POV that loves to label people as being lazy and weak.

THIS ^^^^^