Trusted Contributor

People who lack Drive and Motivation

Hi Everyone,

I'll try to keep this pretty brief, but I wanted to share and get your thoughts. I have a coworker who has no drive, no motiviation, and no zest for life really. She kind of reminds me of those cartoons who you only know they're alive because the little black dots they have as eyes blink every so often lol. Anyhow, it has made me realize how I really hope I never end up working with someone else like her. She is not mean at all; I'd never characterize her as a nasty person. However, she does the bare mininum and there is a carelessness that runs through her work. I am someone who cares about the quality of my work and she doesn't. She's a seat warmer who is only there for a check. 

I just wanted to bring this up because it has truly made me realize and appreciate all those people who are innovative, who have a passion, who are creative and have changed the world with their ingenuity. I really think that our organization would completely fall apart it everyone in every department was like her! She's never badmouthed anyone but she's never brought up a good idea either! If she was a scent, she'd be scentless. If she was a flavor, she'd be flavorless. Curious to know how you all feel because it has truly made me aware of how being nice is very important, but you really need more to get to that next level.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: People who lack Drive and Motivation

She may be content where she is.

Lack of self-confidence?

Too intimidated by workers who show more outgoing personalities?

And one that always comes to mind-fear not of failure but fear of success.  Yes fear of success.  It happens.

jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Unless I walk a mile in her shoes, I don't judge.  Everyone's life circumstances are different.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be too hard on her. You have no idea what might be going on in her life

She could have PTSD, or depression. There might be many reasons for her behavior. She could be suffering from some sort of illness ,and no one knows about it

How do you know she isn't doing her best?

Honored Contributor

It's hard to know a person without walking a mile in their shoes. You don't know if she has been beaten down by life, maybe a parent or significant other has led her to believe she is worthless, and she has low self esteem. I would try to not judge her too harshly. We are all different, some of us are achievers who strive for all life has to offer, some of us are content with the staus quo.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO. Thoughtful of you to take notice, but not close enough to approach her to help. She may have issues that are coming to the surface and showing up as lack of motivation, etc. 

Underlying the outward appearance of the co-worker, there could be something you aren’t prepared or willing to deal with. Tread lightly. 

Honored Contributor

Also you may not realize it but your description of her as having no flavor or thoughts to contribute-you reflect that at work.  You may not realize it but she is very well picking up what you think of her.

Whether we like to admit it or not, our body language, eye contact, etc. can reflect what we think more than we realize without saying a word.

As I said earlier, she may not have enough confidence; she may be content where she is.

Her work is between her and her supervisor.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Cherry. We have to tag-team in certain areas of our job and she makes so many mistakes. I have to clean up her mess. I've let her know gently and given her friendly reminder. To me, she has the demeanor of someone who doesn't really care. Maybe if she wasn't on her cell phone or listening to music...

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

I share office space (I am self employed, the other person is employed by another company), we ony share space.....

I like her, she comes to work every day but does the bare minimum for her employer....(employer is NOT in this office) her dress is uber casual, and not that she has to dress up but clothes are ragged, snagged, short, etc.  Her dh works so she has money to purchase something new on occasion.

I don't understand it....how she can come to work daily and just exist...but I am guessing as long as she shows up for work, gets her job done, her job is safe.

Honored Contributor

Could be that what you perceive as "lack of drive and motivation" your employer perceives as effective and efficient.