Honored Contributor

Re: People who are always late for work

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

when the word "exempt" is used in a job classification, it means that the position is exempt from FLSA regulations that apply to hourly workers. Many supervisory and management jobs are classified this way. It means, if you are exempt, you are exempt from the rules that apply to hourly workers. It can mean long hours and weekends and being on-call, but it also allows for a Thursday afternoon off to golf.

@MaggieMack

Thank you for your explanation of that term. I knew  salaried people, that were my friends, that also worked for AT&T. They never traveled and always used the word "salaried" and I used the word "hourly, when referring to our jobs within our company.

In my first post it was my presumption that the OP was referring to people that were " salaried", but also worked a 9 to 5 job. Those were the ones to whom I was directing my comments, not those whose employment requires much different schedules.

Thanks again for your direct answer to me, I appreciate it very much.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for all the different perspectives.

This has to be one of the oddest places I have worked, yet probability one of the best.  They usually have no problem if people need to come in late or leave early on occasion.  It is very much a family business and the employees are considered part of the family (both the good and bad aspects). 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

CrazyDaisy wrote:

This has to be one of the oddest places I have worked, yet probability one of the best.  They usually have no problem if people need to come in late or leave early on occasion.  It is very much a family business and the employees are considered part of the family (both the good and bad aspects). 

That sounds like a really nice set up - as long as there aren't those who take advantage, eh?  Smiley Happy     I've worked such environments and we were usually fortunate to have situations where everybody did their part and played by the SAME rules.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Thankfully, I think most places are, or should be, okay with occasionally. But when it gets to the "What time will X be here?" and the daily response is "your guess is as good as mine" stage - not good ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Why salaried jobs do not use the same method escapes me. Are salaried workers "better than" those of us that punch a clock? More honest and reliable? In a higher "social status" working for the same company as us hourly workers? Are they maybe non-unionized?

Husband is a salaried employee. He doesnt always come to work on a set time as he almost always works no less then 16 hours and sometimes 20 hours a day and also works 6-7 days a week. Being salaried he get not one penny more for that extra working time of over 80-120 hours a week (if he did get paid hourly we would be very well off and have more time together) Works 2 weeks worth of work and hours in one week. He gets no overtime and no holidays. Cant speak for everyone but me thinks him being salaried he is being taken advantage of big time, not the other way around. Obviously he also doesnt think he is better then anyone as he is being screwed time off wise and also money wise. The only saving grace for us is that his salary accounts for some of that incinvenience working double and triple time with no added bonus of overtime, holidays etc. His general working shift is 3pm till 5am the next morning. Obviopusly we dont have much of a life! Not every situation has a fit- all approach. (Is why I try my darnest to be careful not to lump everyone in same basket LOLOL) smiles and giggles. Thank goodness I was not salary as I see him killing himself and it is not fun to watch,

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt, most of my working life I was respected for my knowledge and abilities and work ethic and left almost entirely to my own devices and my own decision-making. I was TRUSTED.

This last job (17+ years) was totally different. Multiple co-workers, each of whom thought they were in charge of all the others. Back-stabbing and character assassination on a daily basis, even by the professionals you worked with/for. Every single minute was CYA for every single task or phone call taken. The constant game was making everyone else look bad or incompetent. No one except one person was trusted or believed. You were bird-dogged and second-guessed all day long, every day. And add to that, from the Introvert thread, that my supervisor had decided she didn't understand, like, trust or believe me. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not a fan of Dr. Phil & rarely watch him. However, years ago he had a show on this subject & said that people who're always late are total narcissists. I agree.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

"Why salaried jobs do not use the same method escapes me. Are salaried workers "better than" those of us that punch a clock? More honest and reliable? In a higher "social status" working for the same company as us hourly workers? Are they maybe non-unionized?"

Yes, companies have always considered salaried workers "better" than hourly workers and with higher "social status"  as well because the salaried employees are the CEOs supervisors, dept heads, etc. who make higher wages without having to punch a clock. They typically are college-educated. All of the above. It has always been that way; it's not a new phenomenon.

And yes, salaried or 'exempt' employees are not unionized. That's why they step in to cover in the even of a strike.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

"Why salaried jobs do not use the same method escapes me. Are salaried workers "better than" those of us that punch a clock? More honest and reliable? In a higher "social status" working for the same company as us hourly workers? Are they maybe non-unionized?"

Yes, companies have always considered salaried workers "better" than hourly workers and with higher "social status"  as well because the salaried employees are the CEOs supervisors, dept heads, etc. who make higher wages without having to punch a clock. They typically are college-educated. All of the above. It has always been that way; it's not a new phenomenon.

And yes, salaried or 'exempt' employees are not unionized. That's why they step in to cover in the even of a strike.

In my experience companies make people salaried when they know darn well that the job they are going to have to do will not be able to be completed in a regular 40 hour week, so to save themselves from all the OT pay they just make the job a salaried position. For instance my DH was in sales and his job required travel and even when home he had to be available to his customers in an emergency so he was salaried. Believe me - being salaried is usually a rip off to the employee. 

Respected Contributor

We have a teacher who is chronically late for everything, but especially in the morning when there are children unattended.

I call the principals office to get someone to cover since I ma busy w/my own homeroom students. Let them keep track of this nonsense.

btw-I live 2x as far away from the school as this teacher does and am always in early or on time. Go figure.