Esteemed Contributor

Re: People who are always late for work

I am and never have been late for anything I can remember. I prepare for everything that could happen to make me late and give adequate time to circumvent. So, I usually arrive early. I can remember as far back as Elementary school and making sure I was on time. 

My one son, OTOH, is usually late to everything. I don't understand this, as he was raised to be on time for everything. It's like he's late to everything b/c of me. Nothing makes him hurry up. I know I made him my "hurry-up" child. Time just doesn't bother him, and I don't think he would rush unless it was a fire.. 

I just don't understand people who are late. 8)

Honored Contributor

I had a coworker who was always very late. She came in on a heavy interstate.  She didn't wear makeup and had really easy to care for hair.  No children to take care of.  I could never figure out why she didn't leave more early!

As a person I adored her but the time she took off of the floor in the store where we worked was apparently tolerated because she had high sales.

Honored Contributor

One company I work for has a very strict point policy, in fact you can not even punch in over 7 minutes late........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Wondering how others feel about it.  There is a lady where I work who is late for work everyday, not just a few minutes, half and hour now.  No excuses, just because she keeps getting away with it.  She keeps coming in later and later.  Everyone one else in the office is here on time.  I have heard all the arguments that as long as they get their work done, etc.  Her work is not that good and her attitude even worse.  It has been brought up terminating her in the past however it is a small office and with our busy time coming up the owners feel she is better than nothing (unfortunatily I have to agree).

I just find it to be so disrecptful to co-workers to always be late not to mention stealing from the company expecting to be paid for time you are not there.  What do you think.

@CrazyDaisy

Started working after my paper route at age 8, as a car hop, at age 12, at a drive-in restaurant. That job and every job I worked after that, until I retired, had 1 thing in common. At every single one of them I HAD to punch a time clock "in" and also "out".

Late? First you DO NOT get paid for the time missed. Come in late over a set number? First you are given a written warning. If you continue to be late, even 1 minute, of your scheduled starting time? It' BYE, BYE job.

Why salaried jobs do not use the same method escapes me. Are salaried workers "better than" those of us that punch a clock? More honest and reliable? In a higher "social status" working for the same company as us hourly workers? Are they maybe non-unionized?

I mention the above paragraph because I have seen what the OP is stating with my own eyes for decades. I have also heard this from unheard of numbers of friends and associates. "So and so is always late". I see a simple solution, come in late, dock pay. Come in late too often?  Nobody is irreplaceable, I don't care what the title of their job. Fire them, PERIOD!

If companies choose to trust employees that are not trust worthy? They not only alienate workers who are on time, some of which have to do the "come lately's" work. Makes not 1 iota of sense to me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

hckynut,

By your own admission you never worked an exempt job, so it's understandable why you don't understand how they work.

If you are salaried you are expected to get the job done no matter how many hours it takes. You are expected to travel, often on your own time. You don't necessarily get to go home at 5:00. You might have to work weekends or while at home. You might be on call 24 hours per day.  You might have to work while on vacation or on a paid holiday.

You don't get overtime.

The upside is you get some flexibility with your work schedule.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get paid hourly, but I don't use a time clock. I don't work for a small business either. I have to be on time, or there would be a big problem.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

One company I work for has a very strict point policy, in fact you can not even punch in over 7 minutes late........

Am I reading this correctly?  As long as you are no more than 6 minutes late, you are considered on time?

I don't consider that to be on time.  If someone is supposed to be at work at 8:00 and they get there at 8:05, IMO they are late.  My husband has always had to clock in where he works and they have zero leeway.  If you are 1 minute late, you are considered late. 

Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

hckynut,

By your own admission you never worked an exempt job, so it's understandable why you don't understand how they work.

If you are salaried you are expected to get the job done no matter how many hours it takes. You are expected to travel, often on your own time. You don't necessarily get to go home at 5:00. You might have to work weekends or while at home. You might be on call 24 hours per day.  You might have to work while on vacation or on a paid holiday.

You don't get overtime.

Exactly.  I am an exempt employee.  There have been times I've had to work a Saturday to get something done. There have been times I've been at work at 7:00 when my normal starting time is 8:00, because I needed to get something done or I had a client coming in that needed to see me before he/she had to be at work.

There are more times than I can count that I've shortened my lunches for one reason or another and stayed past 5:00.

I don't get paid for anything other than 40 hours.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Am I reading this correctly?  As long as you are no more than 6 minutes late, you are considered on time?

I don't consider that to be on time.  If someone is supposed to be at work at 8:00 and they get there at 8:05, IMO they are late.  My husband has always had to clock in where he works and they have zero leeway.  If you are 1 minute late, you are considered late. 

This is standard procedure in hospitals. You may clock in 6 or fewer minutes early, and up to 6 minutes "late" is not considered late by HR. You may not clock in any earlier, anf 7+ minutes gets you docked for 15 min. of pay as the docking or overtime pay is in 15 minute increments.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

hckynut,

You don't get overtime.

@mstyrion 1

The salaried people of which I spoke are those that work specific hours, Monday through Friday. They work only at their desk, most in their own cubicle, they are not in sales and/or promotion type of jobs that require traveling.

In, I guess, your world, I haven't a clue what "an exempt job" even means. I know people that work with a specialized and specific "signed contract", and I also know many that are partners in business and/or own their own small businesses. Never heard any of them use the term " exempt job"?

I also know many that work in businesses where "They DO" travel, some even government jobs, 1 Hockey player for the IRS. Almost all of them traveled on specific days when doing their types of business. 

My perception of the OP's intent by starting this thread was she was/is speaking of "stay put" desk/cubicle type jobs, not jobs that required traveling around the country or around the world.

Maybe I was wrong in that perception and if so, this may narrow down the specific types of jobs of which I speak. Those are the types of "salaried jobs"(not professions) that my wife spent her life working, and with way too many co-workers like those mentioned by the OP. Hey! Now I know a new word " exempt", well not the definition of that word, but what you say is conferred in some types of employments.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)