Respected Contributor

Re: People who are always late for work

As a manager of many different types of organizations over the years, lateness was something I never tolerated.  I never had to write anyone up because the first time was usually the last:  the person and I discussed the situation and expectations privately.

Aside from trains arriving late, there were usually no major problems.

The thing that never ceased to amaze me ( and a lot of other folks) was one friend who could be counted on to arrive late...and I mean really, really late.  As a training consultant, I once sent her an article on "What Being Late Says About You" --- basically, a lack of respect for others.  Don't know if that changed her behavior.

We got to a point where we told her the time for an event was almost an hour before its actual start.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Wondering how others feel about it.  There is a lady where I work who is late for work everyday, not just a few minutes, half and hour now.  No excuses, just because she keeps getting away with it.  She keeps coming in later and later.  Everyone one else in the office is here on time.  I have heard all the arguments that as long as they get their work done, etc.  Her work is not that good and her attitude even worse.  It has been brought up terminating her in the past however it is a small office and with our busy time coming up the owners feel she is better than nothing (unfortunatily I have to agree).

I just find it to be so disrecptful to co-workers to always be late not to mention stealing from the company expecting to be paid for time you are not there.  What do you think.

I think I worked with her once.

She may be available again soon.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

One of the women I work with is late every single morning.  Her starting time is 30 minutes after mine.

I wouldn't care at all if it didn't affect me.  But my bosses want the phones answered beginning at 8:30 and if she's not here, I have to answer them until she arrives.  Most of the time, she just comes in when she comes in which is anywhere from 10-20 minutes late.  But at least once a week she calls with some lame excuse as to why she's going to be even later, usually like 30 minutes late.   We do not clock in and she is paid hourly so she is on the honor system to keep track of her hours worked.   

Respected Contributor

Chronic tardiness is one of my pet peeves.  Supervisors who don't address the issue are foolish.  It costs the business many dollars over time and promotes resentment between co-workers.

Honored Contributor

SO glad I am retired and no longer have to deal with these people who nit pik about everything about everybody else and what they do.... or do not do.....  Those  were the people no one liked and made work MISERABLE...... 

To the OP.. do everyone a favor and worry about YOURSELF. 

Honored Contributor

Co workers who are frequently late are ignorant, not just inconsiderate.

It was nice to see them go, whether they were fired because of it, or retired.

Regular Contributor

I have always worked in the same field, I'm in my 20th year now. Different agencies but the same line of work.

I'm not a 20 something who thinks I deserve everything like some posters apparently think all 20 somethings do. (I don't believe that at all).

I have been fortunate I guess in that in my field every single place I've worked has flexible hours. As long as you work 40 hours in a week, when you do them is not a huge deal. It just has to be approved if the hours are out of the ordinary.  Come in 30 mins late, then you stay 30 mins or work that extra another day during the week.

Now, I completely understand there are not places that can do this. For those that work in those places, punctuality is important. But as a boss (and I've been for many years), I would find out why this person is always late. There is probably a reason behind it. If it's family or traffic issues I understand that and would just remind her though of her work obligations as well. If it continued for no reason or at least not a good reason, then the person would be let go. Plain and simple. Didn't matter if I needed them or not, punctuality IS part of your work. You can't handle that, then find another job. I am more than happy to help someone else be a part of the working economy.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

SO glad I am retired and no longer have to deal with these people who nit pik about everything about everybody else and what they do.... or do not do.....  Those  were the people no one liked and made work MISERABLE...... 

It's fine (and good practice) to worry about yourself if the work you do is not dependent on anyone else or if others don't depend upon you.  More often than not (at least in every work situation I've been in), the employees work as a team and, as such, what one person does affects everyone else, so it becomes everyone's concern if a person is chronically late.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

OK....Thank you for your input.  However this is part of my job, thus it is my business.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

This is great coming from you.  Perhaps you might want to take a bit of the advice you are giving here.  Smiley Happy