Regular Contributor

Re: People who are always late for work

@febe1 That's how I feel, too, which is why I wanted to dispell the notion that anyone who comes in later is cheating the company. I might come in late, but I am very rigid about documenting exactly when I came in and exactly how long my lunch break was so that I stay until at least eight full hours has passed. It's some of my colleagues who get to work "on time" who I see taking long lunch breaks and then leaving as soon as the clock strikes 5. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peoplearenuts wrote:

Yes, we have all worked with "one of those".  Sometimes management does address it, but most of the time it does no good.  Take an active approach - all of you start coming in 10-15 minutes late every day for a week or so and see how that goes over.  Sometimes management needs a slap in the face.  I had one supervisor who would start meetings at 4:00 - we were hourly and our quit time was 4:30.  After a couple of times with the meetings running 15-20 minutes past our quit time, at 4:30 I asked him if he was done or if we were getting paid over time.  Stand up for yourself - no one else is going to do it if your keep putting up with this co-worker's behavior.

@Peoplearenuts

As an hourly worker, I can tell you how us machine operators handled, what we saw as an overzealous Supervisor. Wanted our breaks to be exactly 10 minutes(took 2 minutes to walk outside walking fast and same walking back) and 20 minutes for lunch.

We said, "Ok, but we to will follow our job description to the T". Now with our machines, running them was the easy part. When you shut them down? Sometimes it took hours to get them up and running again.

We worked as " paired partners" for lunch and breaks. When my partner went to breaks and lunch I would take care of his machines, and vice versa. There were 50 machines with 25 operators. Nowhere in the "job description" did it say 1 operator would work 4 machines.

So, for each 10 minute break, all 50 machines were shut down. If lucky, maybe half would be running again by lunch time. If they were? They were all shut down again for 20 minutes. Same deal with getting them running again, them comes our 10 minute afternoon break, shut down the few that might be running. Supervisor could do nothing since we were following our "written by the company job description".

I'm talking millions and millions of feet of telephone wires that were not being made on our 8 hour shift. Upper management wanted to know the WHY the lack of wire production on just our shift. Once they put 2 and 2 together they knew the WHY and the WHO of the problem.

He changed his " by the book breaks and lunch" and us operators returned to what worked best for the company and for us operators. We all "stuck together" and that nonsense was short lived.

In our case it solved a very unnecessary problem for the good of all concerned. Being machine operators in a 100+° factory had few perks, but a little longer breaks and lunch, was one of them.

Western Electric/AT&T, before Judge Greene called Ma Bell. That ended in 1984 when he saw it as a monopoly.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

I am one who thinks that people who come to work late routinely are inconsiderate, and any boss who tolerates it is inconsiderate of the other employees. To keep an employee "because they are better than nothing" is a coward, and should not be in a management position. That's all. 

I doubt you'll get any disagrements on that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Would tell them "I see it and if you keep it up I'm telling on your as*". Blows my stack when people feel entitled to not follow rules and mock those that do follow them. Co-workers can also hold other co-workers responsible, its not just BOSSES.

@morganjen wrote:

Yes, we have a couple. They say that unless the supervisor witnesses it, it doesn't matter.