QVC Customer Care

Re: People who are always late for work

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered a rude commment

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

"Why salaried jobs do not use the same method escapes me. Are salaried workers "better than" those of us that punch a clock? More honest and reliable? In a higher "social status" working for the same company as us hourly workers? Are they maybe non-unionized?"

Yes, companies have always considered salaried workers "better" than hourly workers and with higher "social status"  as well because the salaried employees are the CEOs supervisors, dept heads, etc. who make higher wages without having to punch a clock. They typically are college-educated. All of the above. It has always been that way; it's not a new phenomenon.

And yes, salaried or 'exempt' employees are not unionized. That's why they step in to cover in the even of a strike.

That is simply not true.

In many companies sales people, claims people, IT people etc are salaried. They are certainly not dept. heads, CEOs and the like.  They are not considered "better" than hourly workers.  They just have different job functions that require them to be available outside of the normal 8 hour day.

They may make higher wages than some hourly employees but that is usually because they do a more technical job.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

when the word "exempt" is used in a job classification, it means that the position is exempt from FLSA regulations that apply to hourly workers. Many supervisory and management jobs are classified this way. It means, if you are exempt, you are exempt from the rules that apply to hourly workers. It can mean long hours and weekends and being on-call, but it also allows for a Thursday afternoon off to golf.

@MaggieMack

Thank you for your explanation of that term. I knew  salaried people, that were my friends, that also worked for AT&T. They never traveled and always used the word "salaried" and I used the word "hourly, when referring to our jobs within our company.

In my first post it was my presumption that the OP was referring to people that were " salaried", but also worked a 9 to 5 job. Those were the ones to whom I was directing my comments, not those whose employment requires much different schedules.

Thanks again for your direct answer to me, I appreciate it very much.

hckynut(john)

Woman Very Happy

~Enough is enough~
Contributor

I would like to respectfully disagree.  I am a salaries worker and do not consider myself "better" than anyone.  I am not a CEO or a department head.

I do not punch a clock.  My schedule is flexible.  I come in between 8:30 - 9:00; earlier if I have meetings.  I am here most nights late. I work weekends.  I get 30 days vacation and often have trouble using it.  

If this is the "benefit" of having a college educationt then so be it.

Regular Contributor

@Maureen1234 wrote:

I would like to respectfully disagree.  I am a salaries worker and do not consider myself "better" than anyone.  I am not a CEO or a department head.

I do not punch a clock.  My schedule is flexible.  I come in between 8:30 - 9:00; earlier if I have meetings.  I am here most nights late. I work weekends.  I get 30 days vacation and often have trouble using it.  

If this is the "benefit" of having a college educationt then so be it.

HOLY COW that's alot!  I wish I had that many. I work my butt off and am exempt as well. I am the one who normally puts in 60 - 75 hours a week.

I only get 10 days of leave a year and 9 holidays. I'm totally jealous of yours.

Honored Contributor

@Alice-QVC, it was a rude comment to a very unnecessarily deliberately rude comment posted previously. Seems only fair to delete that comment as well, which IMO and others, was far ruder ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

I agree - I am very fortunate w/ vacation!

Respected Contributor

I usually get to work right on the dot so it's a minute or 2 before I'm actually at my desk.    My boss never complains because I almost always stay late, tonight was typical as I left 1  1/2 hours later than the end of the work day.  Almost everyone else is out right at quiting time.

No one has to cover for me for that minute or 2.  The members of the evening cleaning staff have told me that I'm 1 of only 2 people who stay so late after hours. 

I don't care if someone's a minute or 2 late to their desk.  It's more important to me that once they get to work, they're team players and they work hard.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the whole thread, but what disturbs me more than the woman's frequent lateness is that the employers don't seem to care.  Is that because the rest of their employees cover for her, and if they are all doing that -  are they enablers or just good souls?   I don't have the answer - just the questions.

Honored Contributor

I find people who are late for work often are the same ones who are late for meetings.  I can totally understand being late every once and a while, but not a couple times or more a week.