Esteemed Contributor

People who are always late for work

Wondering how others feel about it.  There is a lady where I work who is late for work everyday, not just a few minutes, half and hour now.  No excuses, just because she keeps getting away with it.  She keeps coming in later and later.  Everyone one else in the office is here on time.  I have heard all the arguments that as long as they get their work done, etc.  Her work is not that good and her attitude even worse.  It has been brought up terminating her in the past however it is a small office and with our busy time coming up the owners feel she is better than nothing (unfortunatily I have to agree).

I just find it to be so disrecptful to co-workers to always be late not to mention stealing from the company expecting to be paid for time you are not there.  What do you think.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: People who are always late for work

It's a "universal" problem............there were several at every place I have ever worked.   "They" always have some kind of excuse.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Yes, we have a couple. They say that unless the supervisor witnesses it, it doesn't matter.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

As long as the late comer stays an additional half hour on the back end of the day, I don't see a problem with it unless its one of those jobs where you are required to be on time.

For some, being late is a control issue-- 'you all have to wait for me' for others, its an organizational issue-- ' I can't get myself together every day'.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy - so if everyone did it, it would be okay?!

Esteemed Contributor

I worked for a company where we had badges that opened the door to the building. If you were late three times in one year, you got the boot, even if it was two minutes late. There were forgivable excuses, of course. 

This woman's behavior is thoughtless and controlling. If she worked for me, I would have a discussion with her, lay out the "new" rules, and tell her the choice was hers to work here or not, that everyone would know how important her job was to her by her record of timely arrivals in the future.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Totally disrespectful, get your act together.

What most people don't think about is how much the chronically late person(s) costs a company, not only in dollars but in morale.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

In the office where my DSIL works, they "clock in" and "out" every day on their computer, which is tied into Payroll Dept.  I don't know if this would work where you're working, but maybe some version of it might.  That way, at least her "time" would be documented.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

As long as the late comer stays an additional half hour on the back end of the day, I don't see a problem with it unless its one of those jobs where you are required to be on time.

For some, being late is a control issue-- 'you all have to wait for me' for others, its an organizational issue-- ' I can't get myself together every day'.

This would be fine if the late employee has an unforeseen circumstance on an isolated occasion and makes up the time at the end of the day, but I disagree with this as a usual practice (unless the employee's new hours have been set and okayed by the boss).  Calling one's own hours, unsupervised, is not appropriate IMO.  Unfortunately, more people than not will take advantage and it's very bad for office morale.

I especially get annoyed when someone is late to a meeting or workshop first thing in the morning, usually resulting in everyone who got there early or on time to wait for that person to arrive.  It's inconsiderate.

Honored Contributor

OP, how would you like to work in a situation where you have to be relieved by the person coming in for the next shift and they are a half hour late,so you can't go home. Nursing has these people too.