Respected Contributor

Re: People who Age Overnight

I can truthfully say that although it didn't happen overnight, I am one of those people who aged quickly. 

My father died when I was 50 years old.  It devastated me and I fell into a hole of depression.  I functioned normally, but my heart wasn't in anything I did.  I woke up, went to work, and for a year, I felt nothing.  No joy, no happiness, but functioning ,so no one questioned my emptiness. Only  one friend at my office mentioned to me that I had to let go of the grief, but that was after I had gifted him an expensive crystal vase that I had cherished at one time. I gifted many, many items that meant a lot to me.  I later learned, that is a sign of depression brought on by loss of a loved one.   

When I finally began "waking up" my hair had thinned out, turned completely white and I had gained 15 lbs.  I looked at myself in the mirror and didn't know who was looking back.  It was such a shock to me that I realized I had to re join the world.

I can't change the ageing that happened to me during that time, but I did regain my happiness and joy of being alive.    

Today, I am old for real, but happy and reasonably healthy.  I have so much to be thankful and grateful for.  But, I for one, can attest to the fact that grief and depression can age anyone.       

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO

Celebrities don't age much due to filters being used, lighting, makeup, wigs, fake eye lashes, fake nails, nips and tucks!!! In person, they look completely different. Their pics are also photo-shopped.

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama.....(((Hugs)))

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Also if you research online things that age you and also food that ages you, you will see that what you eat can really accelerate aging!

Plus other things that you can see in the research such as smoking, not using sunscreen, eating poorly and more!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Valued Contributor

i was on muscle relaxers because of chronic back spasms for about 20 years.  I weaned off the medication and I have not looked back since.  It took two months to wean off the medicaiton.  Now I  problems with sleeping, but I don't care.  I am not on that medication anymore.  My doctor talked to me about sleeping pills, but I said no.

Honored Contributor

Surgery, fillers, and botox can hide a lot of aging.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dad left for WW11 at age 25.He was a typical young man - a redhead, someone who was always smiling I've been told. The next time he was seen by my Mother he had been in an explosion, was deaf, had burns over a significant portion of his body, and one eye was scarred over, so he could not see from it (though years later they were able to fix that surgically). In 2 short years his hair had turned white, and his gait was that of a much older man.At 27 - 28 years old he looked like he was 50.Photos of him are shocking. Over the next several years - with a lot of loving care from my Mom he slowly regained some of his youthfulness.With the help of a lot of PT and several skingraft surgeries he was able to regain his ability to stand straight and tall and walk normally.The smile slowly came back and the extreme saddness was gone.  He was never exactly the same as before, and he always looked much older than my Mom, but if you look at pics of him before the war, right after he came home from the hospital, and then years later with us kids - you'd never believe they are all the same person. In that instant that grenade went off my Dad lost his youth.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think I aged, but my weight went up when I went from commuting 4 days a week to 5. Stress is a killer. (not of fat cells unfortunately)

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The forum is run by the “Immune Deficiency Foundation” (IDF Friends) and here is the link:

https://idffriends.org/

So glad you are doing well!💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I was very sick for about a month last winter and I feel it has aged me. Now when I look in the mirror, I do not see the woman who always looked ten years younger. Such is life.