Esteemed Contributor

Re: People who Age Overnight

[ Edited ]

@LTT1  Compromised immune systems do leave us with less energy; however, I have found that my daily walks and every-other-day swims help restore energy levels and keep me much stronger (physically). I'll never go back to mowing my lawn, but just scored a coup with two new rose bushes for $5 each at my favorite nursery! And, yes, I'll plant those tomorrow morning when it is cool.

There was a time when first diagnosed, that I didn't have the strength to lift a gallon of milk for my grandson. Those are the awful memories for me. Hope he has forgotten those horrible days. Have been on Disability since age 51; but helped care for mom for last 14 years. I'm in remission for the first lengthy time. Who knew life could be so "normal" again? Feeling so grateful and happy to be alive.  

Best wishes to a happy and fulfilling retirement. Hope you are able to keep your health issues in remission.  

ETA: Not familiar with the IDF Forum. Where do I find it? Is it for Lupus, RA and MCTD patients? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's weird but I have not aged like normal people do at my age of 62. I was diagnosed with scleroderma which tightened and pulled my skin so it's a lot smoother than other people of my age. Another thing about scleroderma is that there is an over-production of collagen in the body so my skin is thicker than normal. Unfortunately this disease has many more negatives about it and I wish I didn't have it.  It's a disease that makes you look younger but makes you feel so old.

Honored Contributor

@Sharke wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I will tell you that winter of 2016 to 2017 I could honestly say I hardly had a wrinkle on my face except laugh lines around my eyes. I looked like I was in my early 60's. However, ove the course of about a year, my whole appearance has changed. I feel like I aged 10 years in 1 year.

Last summer I had a bad fall down a flight of stairs.I cracked 3 ribs and a vertabrae.I have been in pain ever since - for an entire year now, and all the doctors have to offer me is pain meds, reccommend I do light water aerobics and keep telling me to give it more time. I had back issues previous to this but nothing in comparison to the pain I've had these last 12 months. To make it worse I fell again in the bathroom onto the hard ceramic tile, onto both my knees. Now the cartiledge in my knees is inflammed and , again, all the doctors have to say is time, light exercise and painmeds.

Anyway, I'm sure a year of constant pain & the use of pain meds  is contributing to my face looking so much older. I think actually the appearance of my whole body has aged. How I hold myself now etc. is the appearance of a much older woman. It can happen almost overnight. It happened to me. I've also seen it happen to some of my friends.Many of the people who moved into their new homes here as new retirees 8 years ago , when we did, have really changed in appearance over those 8 years. When you look at a picture from back then and look at us now - we have all aged a decade.I think we have all gone from looking middle aged to looking like we are in our 70's- which we are all hovering right around age 70 right now.

@151949  If you don't mind me asking what pain meds did the Dr.'s prescribe for you? I've had another bout of costochrondritis since Feb and I"m sick to death of not being able to lift, pull, tug, etc. Which is probably why I"m in the shape I'm in , in the first place.

Naproxyn sodium is what I take.

I'd like to know what he prescribed for you.

Thank you !

Unfortunately, due to having stage 2 kidney disease I can't take any NSAID so my doctor gave me a Rx for Tramadol 3x a day. I have , however, been managing to get by on just 1 a day in the morning.Don't want to take too much of this addictive drug. Beside that I don't like the side effects - sleepiness and constipation. Anyway, I'm managing to get by just taking one. I do as much housework as I can plus other errands like grocery shopping etc in the mornings,while the pill is controlling my pain.I also do my water aerobics class in the morning.If I could take NSAID drugs that is what I would be taking.I was on Meloxicam for a couple days and I felt great but couldn't continue to take it.

Honored Contributor

Of course that's not true....lol  Biologically, it isn't even possible.  Also, in real life those stars don't look as good or as young as you think they do.  It's smoke&mirrors and trick photography and professional make up artists, hair pieces  and in most cases, cosmetic surgery.  Age is gradual but sometimes we THINK someone aged overnight but we just caught them when they weren't all fixed up.  

Respected Contributor

Being a caregiver 24/7 for close to two years now has taken a toll on me. I'm tired and I look it. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

Yes I do. I think the booze will catch up with them. Kate Hudson better be careful , Her Mother Goldie's has looked bad for years because of her drinking and smoking. And I saw Kate smoking also. Maybe she will find a way to quit as she is expecting again.

Trusted Contributor

When we see people in person often, we don't notice the signs of aging as much as when we see them infrequently. 

One can't hardly compare celebrities to average people, for the obvious reasons. 

Stress, grief, illness and addictions take their tolls on our health and it naturally shows. 

Respected Contributor

I don’t think Angelina Jolie has escaped aging. I think she looks older, tired, stressed, and “hard” in recent pictures. She has had some messy years and it shows. 

I agree, constant pain and ongoing illness take their toll on the best of us; skin and hair reflect our state of health, and walking stooped over or shuffling also make people appear suddenly older. Actors on stage rely on that technique because we identify stooped posture and mobility issues with aging.  My father looked and acted old at 40, and my Mom always looked years younger. 

Respected Contributor

I would like to see these “ageless” celebrities up close and personal.  Years ago, I got to see Polly Bergen at a department store counter. She was selling turtle oil skin care and I stood right in front of her.  She was pretty, but her skin was a fine network of wrinkles, not smooth and flawless like photos.

Also, I have seen many pictures of celebrities without makeup and they usually look their age. 

Honored Contributor

Stress,and illness ages people quickly.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.