Trusted Contributor

I know my bad vision may have something to do with it, but I find that so many celebrities look great for their age. Jennifer Lopez, Angelina Jolie, Kate Hudson, and so many actresses I remember from the early 2000s look like they haven't aged. I was reminded of what my friend Richard said about those who look like they don't age--they will age overnight.

Do any of you find this to be true? I find that most people in my family age gradually. There are a few former classmates that look like they've aged overnight though. Weight gain and hair loss may have something to do with it.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: People who Age Overnight

The people I know who seem to have "aged overnight", either had a major illness, or they had a major stressor occur in their lives.

Also, yes weight gain or loss and hair loss I feel do play a part.

But for the most part, the folks I know seem to age gradually, except for a few who seem to not age at all, and one thing those people have in comon, is they have stayed active.

My inlaws are more active now in retirement than they were when they were working. They both have health issues, but sometimes they have to really slow down, but they never just stop. I really think that is a big part of aging well.

Honored Contributor

One of my uncles.  He never lost his hair or got gray, never had any wrinkles, never gained weight, didn't need glasses.  He was 10 years older than me.  I saw him regularly.  My brother and I used to joke that he looked "unused."  Never had any health issues.  He smoked.  He was a really easy going - no drama guy.  I was in my mid-sixties and he was mid-seventies at the time.  

Then .... for various reasons, we didn't see him for a year or so  ... then in early 2009 - we were all at the same function and he was hardly recognizable.  He was thin, stooped over, white hair and balding.   He was 77.  He died a year later.    

It wasn't overnight but it was a dramatic aging in a short time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those that the poster mentioned who look like they haven't aged, have $$ & great plastic surgeons & dermatologists. Gravity takes it's toll. Major stress events will age one quickly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will tell you that winter of 2016 to 2017 I could honestly say I hardly had a wrinkle on my face except laugh lines around my eyes. I looked like I was in my early 60's. However, ove the course of about a year, my whole appearance has changed. I feel like I aged 10 years in 1 year.

Last summer I had a bad fall down a flight of stairs.I cracked 3 ribs and a vertabrae.I have been in pain ever since - for an entire year now, and all the doctors have to offer me is pain meds, reccommend I do light water aerobics and keep telling me to give it more time. I had back issues previous to this but nothing in comparison to the pain I've had these last 12 months. To make it worse I fell again in the bathroom onto the hard ceramic tile, onto both my knees. Now the cartiledge in my knees is inflammed and , again, all the doctors have to say is time, light exercise and painmeds.

Anyway, I'm sure a year of constant pain & the use of pain meds  is contributing to my face looking so much older. I think actually the appearance of my whole body has aged. How I hold myself now etc. is the appearance of a much older woman. It can happen almost overnight. It happened to me. I've also seen it happen to some of my friends.Many of the people who moved into their new homes here as new retirees 8 years ago , when we did, have really changed in appearance over those 8 years. When you look at a picture from back then and look at us now - we have all aged a decade.I think we have all gone from looking middle aged to looking like we are in our 70's- which we are all hovering right around age 70 right now.

Honored Contributor

My husband who has a rare autoimmune illness has aged a lot.  It's been 6 years since he got sick and over that time period he looks to be about 20 years older.  Chronic illnes can do that. 

I recently came across a photo of me from around the time he first got sick.  I look a lot younger than I do now....lots of nonstop stress can wear down and age a person too.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I will tell you that winter of 2016 to 2017 I could honestly say I hardly had a wrinkle on my face except laugh lines around my eyes. I looked like I was in my early 60's. However, ove the course of about a year, my whole appearance has changed. I feel like I aged 10 years in 1 year.

Last summer I had a bad fall down a flight of stairs.I cracked 3 ribs and a vertabrae.I have been in pain ever since - for an entire year now, and all the doctors have to offer me is pain meds, reccommend I do light water aerobics and keep telling me to give it more time. I had back issues previous to this but nothing in comparison to the pain I've had these last 12 months. To make it worse I fell again in the bathroom onto the hard ceramic tile, onto both my knees. Now the cartiledge in my knees is inflammed and , again, all the doctors have to say is time, light exercise and painmeds.

Anyway, I'm sure a year of constant pain & the use of pain meds  is contributing to my face looking so much older. I think actually the appearance of my whole body has aged. How I hold myself now etc. is the appearance of a much older woman. It can happen almost overnight. It happened to me. I've also seen it happen to some of my friends.Many of the people who moved into their new homes here as new retirees 8 years ago , when we did, have really changed in appearance over those 8 years. When you look at a picture from back then and look at us now - we have all aged a decade.I think we have all gone from looking middle aged to looking like we are in our 70's- which we are all hovering right around age 70 right now.

@151949  If you don't mind me asking what pain meds did the Dr.'s prescribe for you? I've had another bout of costochrondritis since Feb and I"m sick to death of not being able to lift, pull, tug, etc. Which is probably why I"m in the shape I'm in , in the first place.

Naproxyn sodium is what I take.

I'd like to know what he prescribed for you.

Thank you !

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Celebrities are able to afford surgery which keeps their looks young.  Maybe some have good genes but aging in the entertainment world isn't always a good thing and therefore they hire trainers, dietitian's, go to plastic surgeons.

For those of us who cannot afford to do those things, stress and illness and so many other factors can age us.  We all age and change and some still look good and others look very old.  I still see girlfriends from grammar school, we are in our early seventies now.  We always comment on how good we look!!!!  Aging is inevitable but if you have good health and not too much stress, do not smoke, you are fortunate.  I guess that is why we must enjoy each day as it comes.  The energy and looks we have today could change tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

On the other hand, I look younger than a year ago! Yes, stress does age a person. To my surprise about six months following my mom's death, I began to receive so many compliments on my "youthful appearance." Indeed, the stress had been lifted and I was feeling better than in several years. My complexion once again has that youthful glow, my eyes sparkle, and my gait is energic. We all care for loved ones when needed without a thought of what it does to our own bodies. Glad I was able to sleep a lot last fall and winter; it was the best medicine for refreshing my body.

As far as other's? Have a very good friend who rides a Harley on Women's Freedom Rides cross-country. She sent me an email today about a breakfast ride. There were the usual group of women and a "mature lady on a sportster." I wrote back and asked, "How old is mature? We're 70!" She wrote back, "I never ask a lady's age who might be two times the age of the number of states in our country!" My response? "You were raised well!! All of those women are young at heart, which is what counts in the scheme of things. Keep riding safely and have fun."

My point is: What is the big deal with appearance? Everyone is aging. It's a natural process. We can age gracefully and with dignity or we can turn into unhappy old women who complain about it. The choice is up to each individual. Have a nice day and be positive! It looks better on you. Smiley Happy 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@JBKO  Yes, I definitely aged overnight.  It was the night after I had my cataract surgery.  I woke up the next morning and my face had little lines all over it!  Cat Tongue

Laura loves cats!