Respected Contributor

The printing business is looking to hire a warehouse/bookbindery person.  He says HR guys sets up  appt. for interview and it's a no call/ no show.  Very common and very frustrating.

Respected Contributor

If I had gone to school to do a specific job, and they hired someone and expected me to give them all of my expertise, I would not be happy.   A typical young person who has no idea what the real working world is like and what expectations are.

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow

Yes and also offer abject apologies for kicking her out the door.  

It is astonishing that some posters think this person was perfectly within her rights to expect to be allowed to,stay for the two weeks, contribute no work product on her own, get paid and then walk out the door.  

And my daughter was not complaining about working extra hours.  Her position is considered a exempt supervisory position and she certainly understands that working extra hours as needed is part of the reason she gets paid the extra bucks.

Honored Contributor

Re: People today amaze me.

[ Edited ]

Over my working life, 45+ years, I lost count of the number of people I trained. I trained many in different facilities because I was considered effective at it when co-workers were not.

I'd say that at least 60-75% of those I trained ended up quitting within a year or two, sometimes within months. They would quit because the job was too difficult, exacting, complicated, overwhelming, "too much to learn", they couldn't take other co-workers, they couldn't take correction, they couldn't follow rules or directions, they couldn't be there on time, couldn't handle being corrected or reprimanded. 

All of the time taken, by me and sometimes others, was wasted and meant departmental work suffered. Yet we went through it over and over again. And I'm sure they're still going through it now.

No one in Management ever gave a rodent's nether regions whether this little song and dance was detrimental either to the employees or the department. C'est la vie.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

My daughter is the head paralegal at a firm of patent lawyers.  Recently they hired a new Jr. Paralegal.  Since it was a Jr. Position they did not require prior patent law experience.  The woman they hired was in her late 20's with no patent law experience.  My daughter had to train her.  Now all of you who have ever had to train a new employee know that when you are training someone you cannot get your work done nearly as quickly because you have to slow down and explain what you are doing in detail.  The first week goes by and the training will last another week.  Meanwhile my daughter is staying late so she can keep up with her work load.  The following Monday this new employee walks in and notifies my daughter that she is resigning because she received a offer from another law firm that she had also interviewed with when she was interviewing with my daughter's firm and the second offer is closer to her home.   Now here's the kicker.  She gave two weeks notice.  HEr new job start date was two weeks away so she actually thought she could stay at my daughter's firm for the two weeks so she would get paid until her new job started.  Now remember she is in training and has not done a lick of work on her own.  Her training would last another week so she expects to be able to stay and continue to be trained for a job she is never going to do there while my daughter takes her time from her work to do this.   Needless to say the hiring attorney told her she could simply leave immediately and no she was not getting paid for the two weeks notice time.  My daughter said she got quite huffy when she was told to hit the bricks.

Nothing surprising.

The only surprising thing is thatheydid not kicked your daughter out and replace her with a new ,cheap newbie.  That's what's going on today!!!!!

Nothing surprise me anymore.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmm...if the daughter was training her it would be her responsibility to make sure the hire was doing the work. So who really is too blame?

If the hire didn't do the work it was the daughter's job to report it to her superiors as it will fall back on her if the person stayed and didn't know how to do the work it falls back on the trainer/daughter. 

It would also be her job to let them know this person wasn't a good fit whether superiors liked it or not. It' called CYA.

Esteemed Contributor

@Melania wrote:

Hmm...if the daughter was training her it would be her responsibility to make sure the hire was doing the work. So who really is too blame?

If the hire didn't do the work it was the daughter's job to report it to her superiors as it will fall back on her if the person stayed and didn't know how to do the work it falls back on the trainer/daughter. 

It would also be her job to let them know this person wasn't a good fit whether superiors liked it or not. It' called CYA.

THis is Beyond belief.  ONce again this is somehow my daughter's fault?????   Are you people even reading my post.  THis was a brand new employee who knew nothing about patent law and how to process the patent applications that come in. IT is a very complex and intricate process that has paperwork and processing requirements that are very specific and detailed since all the documents get submitted to the US  Patent Office and one mistake can cause the entire application to be rejected.  It takes a long time to get someone trained to understand and follow all the requirements exactly as they are specified.  She was sitting with my daughter and my daughter was walking her through the various steps she had to follow for the different kinds of patent applications. THere are many different requirements and this is not something that a one size fits all approach can be applied to.  The training period was expected to last two weeks and then she would start to,process simple applications with all of her work being checked before submission.  A mistake could cause the entire application to be rejected and then it would need to be resubmitted with a new application fee needing to be paid to the Patent Office.  THese application fees can run a lot of money and the applicant pays them but if the law firm makes a error then the law firm eats the second fee.  We are not talking about making sandwiches in a school cafeteria here.  

I can't believe that people are somehow holding my daughter responsible for this dingbat woman's decision to take another job and then to expect to stay two weeks so she would not be without a pay check when she was not even contributing anything.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't see any posts here indicating the young woman should have been allowed to work the 2 weeks.  Most people are saying the woman gave the customary two weeks and probably shouldn't have been surprised the company told her to leave that day.

I don't agree with the complaining on the part of the OPs daughter. She wasn't volunteering her time to train the new person, she was being paid to do it.  She's lost nothing but a few hours of her time. It happens, and good employees know enough to keep their head up and move on.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

I don't see any posts here indicating the young woman should have been allowed to work the 2 weeks.  Most people are saying the woman gave the customary two weeks and probably shouldn't have been surprised the company told her to leave that day.

I don't agree with the complaining on the part of the OPs daughter. She wasn't volunteering her time to train the new person, she was being paid to do it.  She's lost nothing but a few hours of her time. It happens, and good employees know enough to keep their head up and move on.

Where  in my post did I say my daughter complained?  Please tell me where I indicated in any way that she complained about having to train this person? That is part of her job description and she knows that.  However,  because she is a conscientious worker she was working extra hours to keep up,with her regular work flow.  I did not say she complained about it simply that she was doing it.  PLease stop making untrue statements about her actions.

Valued Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

Where  in my post did I say my daughter complained?  Please tell me where I indicated in any way that she complained about having to train this person? That is part of her job description and she knows that.  However,  because she is a conscientious worker she was working extra hours to keep up,with her regular work flow.  I did not say she complained about it simply that she was doing it.  PLease stop making untrue statements about her actions.

How did you come to know this story and that your daughter had to put in extra time to get her own work done?

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.