Honored Contributor

Re: People that get under your skin

Not many things get under my skin just negative/rude people and I avoid them.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

What if they post on here?

@goldensrbest,I don't open their posts.  They don't interest me.

Honored Contributor

At my age and this time in my life I don't let people get under my skin. I simply do not socialize with family and friends who upset me. As far as the boards, when I encounter a poster who sounds upset and agitated over my post. My standard reply will eventually be,"whatever you say" and I move on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

I avoid them as much as possible both here and in real life.

My stepmother and MIL both got under my skin.  I did what I had to do then  more often than not, came home and poured myself a glass of Bailey's.

@lulu2,You must be my mirror image, Girl!

I had both of those "gifts" in my life!  One caused so much stress, my dr thought I had actually developed migraines!  

Honored Contributor

In my life and on here, do my best to ignore and avoid. In my life the last few years I have told off a couple of them. Had to for my mental health, and boy did it feel great. It's empowering and freeing, because bottling it up only gives them power over you.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Thirty plus years of teaching I am kind of hard to insult.  

However with that said I have always been a helper and I learn more from helping someone than I do by being self righteous or always right.  Recently in one of our dance groups we have come across those who cast people aside if THEY DON'T GET IT RIGHT 99% OF THE TIME.  This irks and upsets me.  

Honored Contributor

I big smile or laugh always works.  Try it.  Drives 'them' cr*zy,  if they already aren't.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Avoidance is the best remedy for me. 

Life is too short to be miserable because you can't stand the people around you.

When things necessitate me being with them or around them, I simply use it as a reminder to never be LIKE them, and then consider the time spent a valuable learning tool.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I walk away as fast as I can, trying (probably with not much success) to look neutral. They can't help their negative feelings and I can't help mine when I am on the receiving end, either.

The passive aggressive set me off because my contentious and beloved  family taught skills to deal with people who fight fair and will talk to me directly. That does not bother me.

I avoid those, at work but not in my family or friends, thank goodness, who are indirect, sneaky, passive aggressive. 

Wishing them no harm, of course, I am still not motivated to facilitate more contact with such problematic people by acquiring coping skills to please them. I don't hate them but they can hate me if they want.  That's better than to take on an extra job of flattering or propitiating them. Avoidance works pretty well most of the time anyway.

I don't know if it's just me, but I have encountered this passive-aggressive sneak-attacking quite often on the internet and just once in a while at work. Yet the internet also has also acquainted me with information and interactions that have helped me immensely and that I greatly value.

Honored Contributor

I keep my distance from them as much as possible!