Honored Contributor

@sparklestar You are so right, it has always gone on, but people used to be ashamed of addiction and dependency, now they are not. I think that's a good thing for them and for society.

Esteemed Contributor

Addiction: Unlike physical dependence addiction is abnormal and classified as a disease.

Addiction is a primary condition manifesting as uncontrollable cravings, inability to control drug use, compulsive drug use, and use despite doing harm to oneself or others.

Uncontrollable cravings prompt the destructive behaviors of addiction. There is no addiction without cravings.

Strong cravings are common to all addictions. These cravings are rooted in altered brain biology. Recovery is the process of reversing, to the extent possible, these brain changes. This is accomplished through therapy and replacing the addictive behaviors with healthy alternative behaviors. Addiction is sometimes called; opioid dependence, substance dependence, and most recently opioid use disorder, but still too often simply dependence, which leads to confusion.

Physical Dependence: 

In short a physical dependence to opioids means that the body relies on a external source of opioids to prevent withdrawal. Physical dependence is predictable, easily managed with medication, and is ultimately resolved with a slow taper off of the opioid.

Normally, the body is able to produce enoughendogenous opioids (example: endorphins) to prevent withdrawal. But as tolerance increases, eventually the body's ability to maintain this equilibrium is exceeded and the body becomes dependent on that external source.

Many substances - such as caffeine, nicotine, sugar, anti-depressants, to name a few - can cause physical dependence, it is not a property unique to opioids. Physical dependence to opioids is normal and expected and a distraction from the real problem, addiction. Physical dependence is sometimes simply called dependence, but this can lead to confusion because addiction is sometimes called dependence as well. http://www.naabt.org/addiction_physical-dependence.cfm/

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

he is about 27 , nothing parents can do.

Yes they can!

Kick is ass out before he starts stealing from them if he has not already done so.

Easier said than done

@nun ya

It's very easy.  The cops will be glad to help if there are no family members to do so!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

goldensrbest wrote:

Oh i was not fearful of my dad, he was a good dad, loved me alot, but i did not want to hurt him by doing that, i respected my dad, getting your butt spanked is not a terrible thing,  he would cry after he spanked me, but there were rules, i am glad there was, he was a hard worker,and a great dad.

Aww, your dad sounds wonderful!  Smiley Happy  You must have loved him as much as he loved you, if that was possible.    I'm glad you had such a great dad.  

I always hope that people who were fortunate enough to have wonderful, loving, nurturing parents really appreciated that.    It's something very special.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I work with a group called Clarks Promise. They help homeless and get them not only into homes but back in society. I haven't met one person who we have helped who hasn't had drug problems. It is really heartbreaking. Most have had life experiences that are so brutal and so heartbreaking, it feels hopeless at times. We have a lady now who was a really bad heroin addict. She started about 15 yrs ago when she had a house fire. Her husband and 2 yr old daughter were killed in it. She was a normal stay at home mom whose husband had a good job. She has been on the street for about 13 yrs. 

She has had enough loss ,that it is a wonder she is even alive, my heart goes out to her.

I know. I can't even imagine the pain she has been through and to be honest, I completely understand why she needs to dull her pain. I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing. The day I met her for the first time I cried all the way home. She is doing really good. She is seeing mental health weekly, has a job and is getting ready to move into an apt. She is a sponser for NA too. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor
@Irshgrl31201
Clark's Promise sounds like a wonderful group.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Haven't read all the replies yet, and will when I have more time, but I believe, bottom line, more and more people today are just plain weak.

Life overall has gotten easier over the last several generations. People have less hard intensive physical work to do in order to survive each day, and they are finding too much time on their hands for everything from "partying" which if you have an addictive personality will lead you there, to feeling sorry for themselves and unable or unwilling to suck it up and get through the tough stuff.

Yes, there are people who are sick (mentally and physically) who become addicted to getting rid of pain or symptoms, but so many more who just don't make the choice to say no, avoid the temptations, find meaning in their lives, and choose to become/stay involved with drugs.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:
@Irshgrl31201
Clark's Promise sounds like a wonderful group.

It really is. It isn't just surface stuff like getting people housing. They set them up with dentists, doctors, mental health, people who teach them how to budget, etc... Every move is thought out that can ensure the highest success. So many homeless return to homelessness because they aren't equipped for many different reasons. It has changed my life. The people I have met have changed my life. 

JFK
Honored Contributor

@151949

People who are anorexic want control of something, anything, especially their lives. 

The person you know who keeps running to various things is wanting control. 

She is in desperate need of a psychiatrist --probably as an inpatient.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone wants to escape pain. Some do it with drugs, alcohol, food, shopping, gambling, obsessive work, exercise, secks, too much TV, etc. So sad that folks don't understand that those are false solutions. They don't ease pain in the long run. You can only ease pain by looking within.