Esteemed Contributor

I work with a group called Clarks Promise. They help homeless and get them not only into homes but back in society. I haven't met one person who we have helped who hasn't had drug problems. It is really heartbreaking. Most have had life experiences that are so brutal and so heartbreaking, it feels hopeless at times. We have a lady now who was a really bad heroin addict. She started about 15 yrs ago when she had a house fire. Her husband and 2 yr old daughter were killed in it. She was a normal stay at home mom whose husband had a good job. She has been on the street for about 13 yrs. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I think people want to "belong", come from dysfunctional including abusive home and?or relationships, or can't deal with reality so they "hide".

You rarely see drug abuse/emotional abuse without a hurt soul.

Esteemed Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Fifty years ago my late mother said that when heroin hit the white community something would finally be done. She and my father had a store in a neighborhood that became a black ghetto and she watched drugs taking over.

I think that's what we're seeing now. White middle and upper class young people get hooked on opiods and are turning to heroin.

I have a friend who's beautiful daughter has basically thrown her life away. She never got prescription opiods but was given them by the boys she dated. My friend and her husband have tried everything from rehab to prison. They've spent a fortune. My friend feels it's genetic. She has a sister and first cousin who are alcoholics.

I agree with her. When I had a severe case of shingles I was on six percocets a day for close to three months. I tapered down myself. I still have a bottle left. I'm not a better person than an addict; I have different genetic makeup.

I'm on three controlled substances now; no narcotics. I can't figure out how anyone could get high on them. My pharmacist says an addict would take them all at once and then do anything to get more including turning to heroin.

Once a month I attend a support group for chronic pain. Many people there are terrified that their pain meds will be stopped.

You should check this out (link below).  I think Narcotics are the same as controlled substances.  Narcotics is a term made famous by law enforcement.  It's a little confusing.

http://drugs.laws.com/narcotics

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Why? I have cared for many drug addicts and alcoholics over my 40+ years as a nurse. Mostly they tell you that there is an empty feeling they just can't get filled with anything else. An emotional emptiness they feel driven to get rid of and the drugs or alcohol does it for them. 

My friend I referred to earlier was orphaned at age 7. Saw her parents die in a crash. Then the years of foster care and all it's horrors, and at age 18 your booted out into the world to make it on your own. Fly or die.

Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I work with a group called Clarks Promise. They help homeless and get them not only into homes but back in society. I haven't met one person who we have helped who hasn't had drug problems. It is really heartbreaking. Most have had life experiences that are so brutal and so heartbreaking, it feels hopeless at times. We have a lady now who was a really bad heroin addict. She started about 15 yrs ago when she had a house fire. Her husband and 2 yr old daughter were killed in it. She was a normal stay at home mom whose husband had a good job. She has been on the street for about 13 yrs. 

@Irshgrl31201....wow, that is so sad. Smiley Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis Controlled substances are legal narcotics. They can be obtained by a Rx - not street drugs but their use is just as addictive. If you are taking controlled substances daily you are addicted to them.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest

Why? I have heard and can think of many excuses for many that allow themselves to get addicted to drugs. Like most other physical and mental issues, genetics and environment can(might), play a role. Because someone is genetically predisposed to weight/alcohol or drugs, does not mean they are destined to be the same.

Unless there are very major mental conditions involved, every adult has choices to make concerning the direction of their life. Sadly, some get on legal prescription drugs, others through the illegal market. 

I have heard that now more people die of drug overdoses than die in motor vehicle crashes. It isn't because "we hear" more about it, it is because facts actually bear this out.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Any illegal drugs.

Legal drugs are just as bad and can be even worse because people get lulled into thinking because a doctor prescribed it, it must be okay.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@itiswhatitis Controlled substances are legal narcotics. They can be obtained by a Rx - not street drugs but their use is just as addictive. If you are taking controlled substances daily you are addicted to them.

That isn't true. Addiction and dependence are different and the majority who have to take them for an extended time develop a dependence, not an addiction. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Drugs and alcohol have been with us forever.

Coca Cola used to contain a little "pick me up" , heroin was given for coughs,there used to be opium dens, Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup killed many children or turned them into morphine addicts, and on and on.

Global communications just make us more aware of problems that have been around for a long time.