Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@itiswhatitis Controlled substances are legal narcotics. They can be obtained by a Rx - not street drugs but their use is just as addictive. If you are taking controlled substances daily you are addicted to them.

That isn't true. Addiction and dependence are different and the majority who have to take them for an extended time develop a dependence, not an addiction. 

Can you explain the difference?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@itiswhatitis Controlled substances are legal narcotics. They can be obtained by a Rx - not street drugs but their use is just as addictive. If you are taking controlled substances daily you are addicted to them.

I took a controlled substance almost every day for several years. I was neither physically nor psychologically addicted to it in the sense that I continually wanted or needed higher doses or suffered any physical withdrawal symptoms when I didn't take it/stopped taking it.

I had zero physical effects of any sort of withdrawal, and psychologically I stopped needing it so simply stopped taking it except for occasionally. There was no repercussion of any sort going from almost daily to occasionally, it happened naturally and I felt no physical withdrawal.  There were neither physical nor psychological cravings to continue taking it, so I just stopped.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I think we should remember that the addiction that costs our society the most is to a perfectly legal drug, alcohol.

And I don't believe dysfunctional families is a fair characterization.  Many families have a child who is addicted, while the other children are not.

Super Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

That isn't true. Addiction and dependence are different and the majority who have to take them for an extended time develop a dependence, not an addiction. 

@Irshgrl31201 I totally agree and cannot believe a nurse does not know the  difference between addiction and dependence in the medical definition.😳

Esteemed Contributor

@glorybe wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 I totally agree and cannot believe a nurse does not know the  difference between addiction and dependence in the medical definition.😳

I know. Maybe she just mispoke and meant to say dependence. I will give her the benefit of the doubt. Woman Frustrated

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Can you explain the difference?

You are a nurse, do you not know this? 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest

Why? I have heard and can think of many excuses for many that allow themselves to get addicted to drugs. Like most other physical and mental issues, genetics and environment can(might), play a role. Because someone is genetically predisposed to weight/alcohol or drugs, does not mean they are destined to be the same.

Unless there are very major mental conditions involved, every adult has choices to make concerning the direction of their life. Sadly, some get on legal prescription drugs, others through the illegal market. 

I have heard that now more people die of drug overdoses than die in motor vehicle crashes. It isn't because "we hear" more about it, it is because facts actually bear this out.

hckynut(john)

I can't believe it john, i actually agree with you again!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I work with a group called Clarks Promise. They help homeless and get them not only into homes but back in society. I haven't met one person who we have helped who hasn't had drug problems. It is really heartbreaking. Most have had life experiences that are so brutal and so heartbreaking, it feels hopeless at times. We have a lady now who was a really bad heroin addict. She started about 15 yrs ago when she had a house fire. Her husband and 2 yr old daughter were killed in it. She was a normal stay at home mom whose husband had a good job. She has been on the street for about 13 yrs. 

She has had enough loss ,that it is a wonder she is even alive, my heart goes out to her.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

he is about 27 , nothing parents can do.

Yes they can!

Kick is ass out before he starts stealing from them if he has not already done so.

I  think he needs a tough love intervention.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have clinical depression,and chronic, when i was growing up in the 60's, kids would drink,i never did, not once, i knew if my dad caught me ,he would bust my butt.

Yeah, fear can go a long way to deterring, yes?  Smiley Happy   I was so terrified of my so-called mother (a hideously cruel woman) that I was really a good kid because I didn't want to suffer the consequences of doing bad.  Well, of course, I wasn't perfect but I would never do anything that I thought there would be one iota of a chance of getting caught.  Smiley Wink

Back in my day you couldn't even go to someone to tell about being abused because guess who they would go to?  Your abuser!  I made that mistake only once and, yes, I did suffer the consequence of having done so.   You learn quickly to keep your trap shut and try to just blend in.

Oh i was not fearful of my dad, he was a good dad, loved me alot, but i did not want to hurt him by doing that, i respected my dad, getting your butt spanked is not a terrible thing,  he would cry after he spanked me, but there were rules, i am glad there was, he was a hard worker,and a great dad.