Honored Contributor

A addict is just that, be it drugs,alcoholic i wonder how many started out smoking one joint , they went on in time to other drugs?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Thank goodness we have the ADA.  For those of us with diseases and disorders requiring medication which would test out in the "forbidden" classification, the ADA regulations have saved us from discrimination.

So, if you take a classification of drug for a disease or disorder that you know to be "on the list," make sure you have a hard copy letter from your physician on your person at all times indicating which medications you take and why, because you never know when you'll be drug tested and will also need this when applying for any position.

I live in a city that is frought with phot shops: some blocks have 3-4 of them.  Look right, look left, look for the green.  And it's impossible to drive around and not see one or two at your beck and call.  Our unemployment and crime rates are rising.  Hmmmmm, wonder why.

The community in general supports this life style and doesn't seem to give a fig about rising crime rates.  If I didn't have family here, I'd be gone in a New York minute.

Really?

Thank goodness for the prescription opioids that can do horrendous damage if used to excess, but the demon MJ is the downfall of society?

@Ms tyrion2 I haven't read the whole thread, but I didn't get that from @sfnative's post.

Nowhere did I say that MJ is the "downfall" of society.  Now, I could wax on about that, but this is not the place to do so.

What I did say was that the city/community in which I live has a real problem and that no one seems to give a fig about it.  We're moving toward 200 retail MK shops...

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Moonchilde

You provided a lot of information re medical cannabis that I did not know and I'm sure many others do not know either.  I didn't know there were different strains and types of plants.  So those States legalizing cannabis for recreational use are legalizing the
"get high" factor, not just the medical advantages.  Makes me change my opinion regarding legalizing cannabis other than the type for medical purposes.  I didn't know there was a difference.

I personally don't think of cannabis use any differently to alcohol use. All alcohol use is recreational. People go out and have a drink, or a beer, and function perfectly well. They are not mentally impaired, and their blood alcohol level does not register them as intoxicated. And it's not by any means a given that one drink will lead to five and wrapping your car around a light pole.

I think people tend to believe that recreational marijuana use is somehow automatically "more" dangerous, "more" likely to mean overdoing it, going on to hard stuff, etc, than alcohol because for one thing society has conditioned people to believe it, whether it's true or not. Both alcohol and prescription pain meds are far more addicting than cannabis, yet people are so condeming of cannabis as a demon gateway drug. It just ain't so for the vast majority who don't have that addction gene - which they would have for any substance, not just cannabis.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

A question: If an employer tests for alcohol, does that mean that the employee imbibed that very day. Otherwise, how would it discern between during work or not at work?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Overuse is bad period. With some drugs that hook you fast any use is like playing with fire. It's hard to understand why anyone would choose to use heroin, crack, meth and others even one time.

I've been around addicts most of my life and that takes a toll. What about the sympathy for those who have to deal with the aftermath? Dealing with an addict is a little like being swept up in a tornado. But all I ever hear is you need to be more understanding. I really hate drugs and addiction. I don't understand it and have a hard to finding sympathy for it. 

Honored Contributor

I personally don't think marijuana should be used for fun, but people have been using it in  one form or another forever. I don't think it leads to the use of other drugs, a persons addictive personality type does that. People who drink alcohol are not all alcoholics. I think marijuana should be legal, alcohol is!

Regular Contributor

So, a person can smoke one joint every couple of weeks and that's a problem because it shows up in a drug test, but, a person can drink themselves into a stupor every night or day and test negative for drugs and that's okay?
The people who condemn marijuana have a "Reefer Madness" mentality and understanding. They should think about the "Lost Weekend" or "Days of Wine and Roses".  Those depictions are reality-based.

I dont smoke, but, I know that pot does not lead to more hard-drugs. Alcohol is a much bigger problem than pot. Drunk drivers are the danger. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Moonchilde

You provided a lot of information re medical cannabis that I did not know and I'm sure many others do not know either.  I didn't know there were different strains and types of plants.  So those States legalizing cannabis for recreational use are legalizing the
"get high" factor, not just the medical advantages.  Makes me change my opinion regarding legalizing cannabis other than the type for medical purposes.  I didn't know there was a difference.

I personally don't think of cannabis use any differently to alcohol use. All alcohol use is recreational. People go out and have a drink, or a beer, and function perfectly well. They are not mentally impaired, and their blood alcohol level does not register them as intoxicated. And it's not by any means a given that one drink will lead to five and wrapping your car around a light pole.

@Moonchilde  Well, actually you can have one or two drinks and be over the legal BAC for driving.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

Some people may smoke pot ever now and then but most who do it do it more than that. And drunk driving is no different from any other impaired driving. If you're high don't drive period. Even if you don't think you're high don't do it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

A question: If an employer tests for alcohol, does that mean that the employee imbibed that very day. Otherwise, how would it discern between during work or not at work?

@suzyQ3  An employer would have to catch someone at work seeming drunk and give them a breath test.  A urine test would not be able to pinpoint exactly when a person drank, as far as I know.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org