Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@SilleeMee Way to go and happy to hear that you are clean and healthy..what do you think helped you to conquer the beast.

I was literally on my death bed in the hospital dying. I did not want to die and I heard voices telling me to go back and live a good life. I believe one of those voices was my motherHeart who was always the one person who could talk me into doing anything...it worked. It's only been seven years since that day in the hospital but feels like a lifetime ago.

@dexWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

If there's such a challenge to pass 'the drug test' then maybe it's time to toss it out and stop pretending that it's just fine for employees to pickle their livers into oblivion, but it's not all right for them to decide for themselves what other substances they might want to use... and particularly with respect to marijuana use. It really is such a shame our society is so backward in so many ways... After all these years, sometimes it's as if the Puritans just landed on the Mayflower...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, there has been a very recent decision I read about, in I believe Massachusetts, where a judge ruled that a person with MMJ certification for use could not be fired for that reason alone. That's one state, but I'm sure it will be used as a precedent.

It gets complicated when a company has offices in multiple states and their employees cross state lines on business, and/or the company has federal contracts - that, I could see being "right to fire" on the federal basis.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2, there has been a very recent decision I read about, in I believe Massachusetts, where a judge ruled that a person with MMJ certification for use could not be fired for that reason alone. That's one state, but I'm sure it will be used as a precedent.

It gets complicated when a company has offices in multiple states and their employees cross state lines on business, and/or the company has federal contracts - that, I could see being "right to fire" on the federal basis.

@Moonchilde

I hear what you are saying, but all I know is, where I work, even if I were to have a prescription, from a licensed M.D. for medical marijuana, that would still not matter one whit, to my employer.

If I came up positive on a drug test for marijuana, medical grade or not, I would be instantly shown the door.

No if's and's or but's about it.

No exception.

So, if my employer is like that, I'm sure that others are too.

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Snickering at some of the ridiculous POV (and total lack of knowledge) about medical cannabis use.

I use MMJ (oh, the horror!). A relative with cancer uses it and couldn't have gotten through radiation and chemo after-effects without it. Another relative uses for chronic pain, as I do.

Since I began using MMJ I no longer take any opiate, and I rarely need to even use ibuprofen, where before I was using 1600 mg prescription strength almost daily.

I'd venture to guess that being stoned is not relevant to 85% of MMJ users. You don't need to be high unless you want to be, and most MMJ users don't want to be.

But hey, carry on in your ill-informed paranoia.

So agree with your post, @Moonchilde. I have posted on many threads re: the positive, life- changing effects that MMJ has had on my own life. There is no "smoking", there is no "high" and there SHOULD BE NO SHAME OR EMBARRASSMENT imposed upon me (or anyone else who is treated with MMJ) by folks who are uninformed and uneducated to the incredible benefits of MMJ. 

All it would take to change any doubter's mind would be to see the immense decrease in suffering that MMJ would bring to a loved one. I cannot believe anyone could witness that and continue to have a negative opinion of MMJ.

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Snickering at some of the ridiculous POV (and total lack of knowledge) about medical cannabis use.

I use MMJ (oh, the horror!). A relative with cancer uses it and couldn't have gotten through radiation and chemo after-effects without it. Another relative uses for chronic pain, as I do.

Since I began using MMJ I no longer take any opiate, and I rarely need to even use ibuprofen, where before I was using 1600 mg prescription strength almost daily.

I'd venture to guess that being stoned is not relevant to 85% of MMJ users. You don't need to be high unless you want to be, and most MMJ users don't want to be.

But hey, carry on in your ill-informed paranoia.

Those who are using marijuana for medical reasons are not likely out applying for jobs or released for work in most situations.  Those that are in the workforce have likely made thier employeer aware of the situation.  I am glad it is working for you and it continues to help you.  However most users consider themselves recreational users.  Does not matter if they obtain it legally, illegally or abuse the system in place for those with medical reasons, it is a problem for employeers. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@maestra wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Let's not forget the good that marijuana does for those with glaucoma, cancer, and many brain diseases.  

If you have cancer, brain diseases and glaucoma you likely may no be applying for work, or you will have a medical release form indicating that you are using med. marijuana for a specific concern.

@maestra

At a lot of work places, mine included, it does not matter if you have a doctor's note saying to use medical marijuana, or not.

Zero tolerance in a lot of places, means just that, ZERO.

Medical release, or not.

The zero tolerance policies is becoming an issue for many companies.  It is becoming a balance between employees medical privacy, workers comp and company liability issues. Lots of law suits in the future as this gets sorted out.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I know marijuana is not legal on the federal level and employers on federal contracts may have different requirements, but in states where it's legal for both medical and recreational purposes, are all employers still required by law to reject user applicants or are they rejecting them because they can't/won't do the required work?

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde

I hear what you are saying, but all I know is, where I work, even if I were to have a prescription, from a licensed M.D. for medical marijuana, that would still not matter one whit, to my employer.

If I came up positive on a drug test for marijuana, medical grade or not, I would be instantly shown the door.

No if's and's or but's about it.

No exception.

So, if my employer is like that, I'm sure that others are too.

I understand that, @Plaid Pants2. I am just relating that in one state, there has now been a "test case" where the ruling has gone in favor of the employee, nothing more than that. There has to be a first case before there may be others. And it is just in one state. But it's a start.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

So employers don't give a free pass to medical MJ card holders when drug testing? (It is so easy to get a card, I have heard)  What about states that MJ is legal?