Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

@goldensrbest wrote:

Seems logical that if one smokes weed,some people will try other drugs, some start out drinking beer and go on to hard liquor, if you do either and put others at risk, they should pay a price.


So. What are you saying? You think that throwing back several beers involves less alcohol than having one shot of tequila, vodka, whatever?  That's ridiculous. Because, I don't know too many people who have just one beer. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why should it matter if someone is middle class, or other wise?


 

@goldensrbest

 

It's data.  Opioid addiction has soared among white middle class women.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Why are just discussing marijuana? There are other drugs that should be the main focus when it comes to drug abuse in the workplaces.

 

The heroin crisis is really bad and so is the meth problem. Both drugs are destroying our society, in my opinion pot is not an epidemic!


 

 

Because a few posters have taken the opportunity to demonize cannabis, believing and repeating misinformation.

 

Do people honestly believe that others blatantly use cannabis in any way, shape or form in public, on the way to work, at work and driving home from work? Or out grocery shopping with their kids and grandkids? Uh....no. 

 

Those who use meth, heroin, etc are the ones who OD, kill themselves, endanger others, get arrested for theft and violent crimes against others.

 

Most cannabis users stay home and nap on the couch ;-)


(my bold)

Well. In NYC, yeah, people are all over the sidewalks and sitting on stoops smoking. It's no secret and its no big deal.  You only know because of the smell (not because of any bad behavior). Really, no-one cares. It's the drunks (walk around at 2 or 3am near bars or come to town during SantaCon) that are the problem. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,808
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

@sfnative wrote:

Thank goodness we have the ADA.  For those of us with diseases and disorders requiring medication which would test out in the "forbidden" classification, the ADA regulations have saved us from discrimination.

 

So, if you take a classification of drug for a disease or disorder that you know to be "on the list," make sure you have a hard copy letter from your physician on your person at all times indicating which medications you take and why, because you never know when you'll be drug tested and will also need this when applying for any position.

 

***

I live in a city that is frought with phot shops: some blocks have 3-4 of them.  Look right, look left, look for the green.  And it's impossible to drive around and not see one or two at your beck and call.  Our unemployment and crime rates are rising.  Hmmmmm, wonder why.

 

The community in general supports this life style and doesn't seem to give a fig about rising crime rates.  If I didn't have family here, I'd be gone in a New York minute.

 


There are many industries that require employees to be drug free.  If for some reason a person is using a medication, as you say "on the list", they must have clearance to return to work.  To bring up the subject only after the fact is to late to save your job.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,574
Registered: ‎01-02-2011

@Lali1 wrote:

Some people may smoke pot ever now and then but most who do it do it more than that. And drunk driving is no different from any other impaired driving. If you're high don't drive period. Even if you don't think you're high don't do it. 


Like moonchilde said somewhere above, most people who used some MJ will most likely stay rooted to their sofas, rather than head off for a drive.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

@tansy wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

Some people may smoke pot ever now and then but most who do it do it more than that. And drunk driving is no different from any other impaired driving. If you're high don't drive period. Even if you don't think you're high don't do it. 


Like moonchilde said somewhere above, most people who used some MJ will most likely stay rooted to their sofas, rather than head off for a drive.


I disagree with this. I know (and have always known) plenty of people who drive high. I do object to anyone driving, flying, performing surgery, having a gun, etc. while under the influence of anything.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,504
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Moonchilde

 

You provided a lot of information re medical cannabis that I did not know and I'm sure many others do not know either.  I didn't know there were different strains and types of plants.  So those States legalizing cannabis for recreational use are legalizing the
"get high" factor, not just the medical advantages.  Makes me change my opinion regarding legalizing cannabis other than the type for medical purposes.  I didn't know there was a difference.


 

 

I personally don't think of cannabis use any differently to alcohol use. All alcohol use is recreational. People go out and have a drink, or a beer, and function perfectly well. They are not mentally impaired, and their blood alcohol level does not register them as intoxicated. And it's not by any means a given that one drink will lead to five and wrapping your car around a light pole.

 


@Moonchilde  Well, actually you can have one or two drinks and be over the legal BAC for driving.


 

 

If as an adult one is 4'11" to 5'1" and weighs 95 lbs, it's possible. I seriously doubt that an average size and weight adult served an alcoholic beverage or 12 oz beer will be over the legal limit unless they chug it in 5 min., walk out the door and zip down the road. I wasn't speaking of the remote possibilities but the practical realities. And I did indicate one drink, not two. Could someone, under certain circumstances, have one drink and be over the legal limit? Yes. Is it likely or common? No.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎06-05-2017

I totally agree.  Epidemic in some parts of the country.  I personally know of two young women who have taken drugs (prescription) and never woke up.  My question is -- who is getting rich from this -- the drug manufacturers?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,504
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

@Lali1 wrote:

Some people may smoke pot ever now and then but most who do it do it more than that. And drunk driving is no different from any other impaired driving. If you're high don't drive period. Even if you don't think you're high don't do it. 


 

 

What do you base "most" on? If it's personal knowledge of people you know, that's just the people you know.  People can only relate their personal experiences, or cite a source for statistical data.

 

There are a lot of opinions in this thread, and that's fine, but I don't think people should mistake opinions for "one truth."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,475
Registered: ‎03-14-2015

@goldensrbest wrote:

A addict is just that, be it drugs,alcoholic i wonder how many started out smoking one joint , they went on in time to other drugs?


 

 

 

 

 

 

Not as many as you think or want it to be.