Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Snickering at some of the ridiculous POV (and total lack of knowledge) about medical cannabis use.

I use MMJ (oh, the horror!). A relative with cancer uses it and couldn't have gotten through radiation and chemo after-effects without it. Another relative uses for chronic pain, as I do.

Since I began using MMJ I no longer take any opiate, and I rarely need to even use ibuprofen, where before I was using 1600 mg prescription strength almost daily.

I'd venture to guess that being stoned is not relevant to 85% of MMJ users. You don't need to be high unless you want to be, and most MMJ users don't want to be.

But hey, carry on in your ill-informed paranoia.

Those who are using marijuana for medical reasons are not likely out applying for jobs or released for work in most situations.  Those that are in the workforce have likely made thier employeer aware of the situation.  I am glad it is working for you and it continues to help you.  However most users consider themselves recreational users.  Does not matter if they obtain it legally, illegally or abuse the system in place for those with medical reasons, it is a problem for employeers. 

I would disagree on all counts. 

Those who use MMJ are working. They're not all very elderly or totally disabled. They use it in many instances in order to be able to continue working.

No, you would not tell your employer, lol, for precisely the reason @Plaid Pants2 and I have been discussing.

"Most users consider themselves recreational users." 

I think your statements are simply your opinion, based on little to no first-hand knowledge. You certainly have a right to express your feelings about MMJ use, but you clearly don't know whereof you speak as far as accuracy.

I seriously doubt, since the vast majority of states have legalized medical cannabis use only, and in a good many of those states the person is put through the wringer in order to get a certificate of need under very strict controls, that people consider themselves recreational users.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

So employers don't give a free pass to medical MJ card holders when drug testing? (It is so easy to get a card, I have heard)  What about states that MJ is legal?

@missy1

No, a lot of employers (can't say all) don't give a "free pass" to medical marijuana users when drug testing, because the test doesn't differentiate between recreational marijuana, or medical use marijuana.

A positive result, is a positive result, reguardless of which one you are using.

It does not matter if the state has legalized the use of recreational marijuana or not.

If one fails the drug test because it came up positive for marijuana use, (at least with my employer) you are instantly fired.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting and inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

So employers don't give a free pass to medical MJ card holders when drug testing? (It is so easy to get a card, I have heard)  What about states that MJ is legal?

@missy1, in a small handful of states it's relatively easy, but in most states it's very difficult indeed.

I think the bottom line for employers is that it's still illegal at this point in time on the federal level, so they use that as their rationale to not hire, or to fire, with testing.

Honored Contributor

Re: People on drugs

[ Edited ]

Why are we just discussing marijuana? There are other drugs that should be the main focus when it comes to drug abuse in the workplaces.

The heroin crisis is really bad and so is the meth problem. Both drugs are destroying our society, in my opinion pot is not an epidemic!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Regular Contributor

Use of marijuana is still a federal offense. State laws are relying on the Feds not enforcing the federal laws.  So, illegal at airports, federal lands, etc.  Wouldn't take the chance on breaking the law.

Honored Contributor

When someone takes drugs, drinks,and drive it is the other people on the road that pays the price, using heavy equipment and doing either one puts others at risk ,take some responsibility.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I know marijuana is not legal on the federal level and employers on federal contracts may have different requirements, but in states where it's legal for both medical and recreational purposes, are all employers still required by law to reject user applicants or are they rejecting them because they can't/won't do the required work?

The current powers that be are planning on cracking down on people in states where it's legal - prosecuting dispensaries any way...and instituting mandatory sentences for possession.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

I know marijuana is not legal on the federal level and employers on federal contracts may have different requirements, but in states where it's legal for both medical and recreational purposes, are all employers still required by law to reject user applicants or are they rejecting them because they can't/won't do the required work?

The current powers that be are planning on cracking down on people in states where it's legal - prosecuting dispensaries any way...and instituting mandatory sentences for possession.

IMO, not going to happen. Not worried about that at all.

Honored Contributor

Medical MJ has saved lives, think here of children suffering from continual seizures, it can help control them.  And cancer patients getting help with pain and the ability to hold food down. 

One of the biggest problems is middle class people, especially women, using PRESCRIPTION pain killers and becoming addicted.