Honored Contributor

Re: People hoarding paper products again I think

[ Edited ]

Today, I went to Kroger. I heard the manager tell a customer that shipments of some types of things were slowing down. There were no sugar-free items at all...no diet soft-drinks, sugar-free pudding or gelatin, and the diabetic section was almost empty. Paper products in full supply except no facial tissue at all....not even store brand. Maybe if there are shortages in the coming months it will be of random things. I still haven't figured out the canned corn thing.....never buy it so never knew it wasn't there! 

Honored Contributor

I ordered 20 items from Raleys on instacart.  They only couldfullfill 10 items, and tha wasproduce.  No chicken, frozen food, etc.  so i ordered chicken ad missing items from Safeway, they had everything.   Hit or miss

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I've had trouble finding Bounty paper towels so I've been using Brawny which, although not as good, are still the best of the lower priced paper towels and they have select a size as well. 

------

@GenXmuse I've been getting Bounty Basics toweling. Probably not as good as Bounty, but we don't use a lot and my store always has it stocked.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Would love to find Clorox wipes. They seem to have disappeared in March..except for one pkg I found at WM and I think it may have been hidden behind something else and was finally moved to the right shelf. I think it makes sense to stock up on products you use on a regular basis, but not hoarding huge amounts of anything.

Honored Contributor

In our Walmart this week they are very low on tissues and paper towels.  Hopefully they will restock soon.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

I got groceries over the weekend and at WM and Meijer there was plenty of paper towel and toilet paper.  The shelves weren't packed to the brim like they had been before COVID but there was still plenty.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I have been buying a little here & there knowing another round coming soon. We have limits 2 I would buy 1. This has been going on all summer for me. Did I hoard? No, just being prepared. It's just 2 of us. Micro cloths are great as paper towels plus wash & reuse if you get to that point. Wet wipes (don't flush) for TP if things get bad. Also most frozen, can & prepared food will be scarce, maybe learn to cook more and get creative. We can get threw this but buying a few extra things a week will help.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

One comment here:  When this Prairie Girl who is deprived gets a shot at White Lily Flour I'm going to stock up no apologies. 

Where they normally have it, they will get more.  Where I live and it isn't sold, I get it when I can.  Those folks will get more next week.  I can't.  I might be depriving someone that day, but I wouldn't be taking the last and only.

I'll stick up for Sharke on that one!  

@Sooner wrote:

One comment here:  When this Prairie Girl who is deprived gets a shot at White Lily Flour I'm going to stock up no apologies. 

Where they normally have it, they will get more.  Where I live and it isn't sold, I get it when I can.  Those folks will get more next week.  I can't.  I might be depriving someone that day, but I wouldn't be taking the last and only.

I'll stick up for Sharke on that one!  

My point is don't beef about some complaints of shortages when you clear out all the White Lily at a Walmart in Indiana, depriving people who actually live there of getting that flour. I ordered White Lily from Walmart. It's available online. It doesn't seem to be in short supply. I look forward to doing biscuits with it this winter.

But I don't think it's seemly for someone who's going to another state and clearing shelves of a product that's in high demand to be complaining about other people posting about paper goods shortages. I see nothing to indicate that anyone here is doing "panic buying" and think the accusation is spurious.

If reading threads that are clearly titled to show they're about hoarding or shortages makes a person feel sick, that person shouldn't open those threads. Personal responsibility and all that jazz.

Oh for crying out loud.  Hoards of folks from "other states" are not driving to Indiana to grab flour and deprive the poor residents of that state from good biscuits!  

I just had a really good laugh about that concept!  And anyway, because of health issues I have not had a chance to rob and deprive other states of : White Lily flour, Cheerwine, Carolina Gold Rice, or certain brands of grits in three years.  And boy do I miss it! 

Respected Contributor

some products still have limits seems since holidays coming to get your baking items & turkey breasts maybe the hot items. Turkey breasts cuz many are not having huge family Thanksgiving dinners. Living in Az most are saying to have your dinner in your backyard instead of family in the house which maybe a good social distance idea. Wonder if they will do that but sorry for the families that live in a cold state. Also I lived in east coast would always buy ahead incase of snow storms. Everyone should have a little supply with storms or covid.

Honored Contributor

On my local channel 7 news (NYC) , they just had a promo for disappearing toilet paper, the anchor said "say it aint so"!