Super Contributor

Re: People deciding you spent too much money

I'm frugal and like to think I'm a savvy shopper. I would never comment to the person that I think they spent too much. I may think it though. Lol.

For something like a roof, cost wouldn't be my biggest concern. We just had to get a new water heatER. The company that was recommended by my builder wanted $2300. But I did call around to get 2 bids because I thought that was insane for one.  turns out that the price here for a high altitude super energy efficient one.  I didn't go with the cheapest company, but didn't pay a lot more.  

Honored Contributor

I think some people don't mean to be out of line, but have had experience that they think might be of value to you in your position, and are offering up in a less than proper way.

And then there are people who go with the cheapest bid on anything they have done. They don't care about quality or a lasting product/service, warranty or service after the purchase/service.

I would simply listen to what people say, as you never know what  might enlighten you (when enough people are saying the same thing, maybe a second look is warranted), and move on with your research and decision making. In the end, you are paying the bill, and have to live with the results. 

And roofs aren't something that I would choose to skimp on. Too expensive and too important. 

Respected Contributor

we had bought a new tv on black friday a few years ago because it was a good deal and our tv was old. my mother went telling people she coulnnt  see why we spent money for something we didnt need. and then infront of us said how much we deserved it.  she goes gambling tons of money. when she sold her house most of the money went to gambling.

Honored Contributor

I just shine it on.  I've heard 'oh, you could have gotten that sort of thing for so much less'.  

Well, I put quality above price and it's nobody's business.   Sure you can get something for less, but what you get is probably going to BE less.  Some folks never figure that out.

Honored Contributor

The inspector was just here, and went up on the roof. He told my husband, they are doing a very good job. I chose this company for a reason ,the roofing for another reason. I am more than pleased

Honored Contributor

My MIL was the absolute worlds worst for saying this!   If it was something she "approved" of, then the price was perfect.   If she thought it was a frivolous purchase, or if we were buying something better than she had, we absolutely paid too much.   

Our response to her was that we were the ones working our a$$es off to pay for it, and we would buy what we wanted!   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My MIL was the absolute worlds worst for saying this!   If it was something she "approved" of, then the price was perfect.   If she thought it was a frivolous purchase, or if we were buying something better than she had, we absolutely paid too much.   

Our response to her was that we were the ones working our a$$es off to pay for it, and we would buy what we wanted!   

Mine needs to know why.  Finally learned to keep my mouth shut about major purchases and projects.

Frequent Contributor

I'm sure DH has had that happen with his male friends.

I certainly did and remember it well. I was working a part-time job years ago. A few days before Christmas I decided to buy myself a new car. Found a very nice car that cost quite a lot.

Went back to work after the Holidays and the fellows made a big deal about it.  They were laughing and wanting to know if they should call me "Boss".

We had a lot fun with that, and yes, they all did ask how much it cost. I laughed and said the Dealers open on Sundays. 

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Honored Contributor

Sorry this happened to you.  People DO seem awfully free with their opinions.  Frequently it seems the less they know about the subject the more generous they are.

In my experience, unsolicited opinions are generally worth exactly what you paid for them.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The inspector was just here, and went up on the roof. He told my husband, they are doing a very good job. I chose this company for a reason ,the roofing for another reason. I am more than pleased

@cherry

We went for the best roofer we could find, too, @cherry , he also had the highest bid but he was reportedly so good and we'd had people before that just didn't care.  I told the guy at the time I wanted an upgrade on what he suggested, I wanted the hurricane level. 

Friends thought I was nuts back then, but since then, northern CA has had small tornadoes and winds getting worse and worse.  I'm so glad I went all out for a roof I wouldn't have to worry about.