Honored Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

@151949 wrote:

Article on NBC news this evening -- the new thing for people living in the city is not owning a car. They can easily use public transportation or walk  for their daily needs and on those occasions when they need a car they just rent one for the day. And where do they rent them - well people who own cars advertise them for rent a few days a month which greatly helps them with the expense of owning a car.Financially good idea for both sides.

However, I have known friends who did not have a car and they are a bit of a pain in the neck to their friends and relatives who are always having to drive them places.

This is nothing new, both of my parents were born , raised and lived in NYC for most of their lives. A car wasn't needed 90% of the time, my father did not own a car until our family moved to suburban New Jersey in the mid 60's. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

my daughter lived in philadelphia for four years and did not own a car. she knew how to use their public transportation system AND also used uber and her feet Smiley Wink. she did not miss having a car at all. when she wanted to come home she took the megabus.

My oldest daughter works in DC and lives in Maryland, she uses the Metro system to get back and forth to work. Her car stays in her driveway on weekdays.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think the posters from NYC really do not realize that there is a huge country here that is completely different from NYC - that life in NYC does not at all represent life in most of the rest of the country.

@151949. You posted an article. Did you not want posters from NYC to answer? Try and have a conversation instead of always putting posters down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I think the posters from NYC really do not realize that there is a huge country here that is completely different from NYC - that life in NYC does not at all represent life in most of the rest of the country.

Of course we realize that.  But the topic is about owning a car in the city.  NYC is a city.

And some posters have ideas about NYC that make no sense to those of us who actually live (or have lived) here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own a car but will not drive in big cities because of parking be so expensive and while visiting NYC, Boston, Philadelphia and Washington will gladly take public transportation. I haven't been mugged, raped, shot or stabbed. I have not caught any major illness, broken out in sores or blisters and don't have any phobias concerning my safety.

Super Contributor

For me, when I go grocery shopping, I usually have several bags.   Don't know how I would manage that on a bus.

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Article on NBC news this evening -- the new thing for people living in the city is not owning a car. They can easily use public transportation or walk  for their daily needs and on those occasions when they need a car they just rent one for the day. And where do they rent them - well people who own cars advertise them for rent a few days a month which greatly helps them with the expense of owning a car.Financially good idea for both sides.

However, I have known friends who did not have a car and they are a bit of a pain in the neck to their friends and relatives who are always having to drive them places.

This is nothing new, both of my parents were born , raised and lived in NYC for most of their lives. A car wasn't needed 90% of the time, my father did not own a car until our family moved to suburban New Jersey in the mid 60's. 

Exactly.  I would love to know more about this news story because by no stretch of the imagination is this anything new.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

For me, when I go grocery shopping, I usually have several bags.   Don't know how I would manage that on a bus.

People in the big cities use folding shopping carts that they take on buses and trains @Lucky Dog

Regular Contributor

My husband and I don't have a car and we live in the city. We can walk to get things we need and if not we use public transportation as we live in a city rich with transportation possibly one of the best in the world. We can get anywhere we need to get  and if necessary even have stuff delivered. The few times we need to get to the suburbs we can as there is a separate suburban bus system as well as train.

We save lots of money that would go to gas, maintenance, and insurance. We don't have to pay exorbitant amounts for parking. We don't have to deal with traffic, bad weather or the the neccessity to be super vigilant every moment so that we don't kill people who are stupid and don't do as they should. Public transit can and often surpasses the speed at which a car can get anywhere and easier.

My thinking is I can get mostly anywhere I want to. Anywhere I can't get probably requires a plane and if it doesn't its probably not worth my time anyway. I can't understand why other cities, towns, and suburbs haven't advanced themselves. There would be less pollution and there would be more opportunity for seniors who can't drive to be independent and go about their lives.

We go through this from people who are family and supposedly love us. Sometimes they meet us halfway. We have no problem offering gas money. My problem is the treating people like they are garbage and not inviting them places. Something can be worked out. If you really care about family or friends you would never treat them so badly. You would accept their choice or situation just as you expect them to accept yours.

If I don't see some people often than I don't. I didn't tell them to move out to the middle of nowhere so if the car dies they are stranded. My niece lives in the suburbs and I can't understand it as she is single and that is not the place to be for single people her age.

I don't see myself ever getting a car. I have it made. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

It's very common in the city to have groceries delivered.  If I'm buying a lot, I usually walk home with one bag, and have the rest delivered.  There are also stores everywhere, so I tend to do small shopping trips in my day-to-day travels on my way home rather than the big grocery store trips I do when I'm in the suburbs.

Lots of people in NY do shopping in their own neighborhoods, and so carrying groceries on public transportation isn't their usual habit.  People do, of course, but most of the people I know walk to local stores and then walk back home.  Not a big deal at all.