Esteemed Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I love the freedom of a car.  I never have to worry about bad weather or people or getting sunburn or windburn. So many advantages to owning a car that i never will be without one. When you live in a city where many own one and you walk, you are breathing in noxious car fumes which is like 2nd hand smoke. No thank you. Yes insurance is expensive as are repairs. It's all figured in to our household budget and we'll never be without our cars.  

I wouldn't be without a car either.  I"d be scared to death to take public transportation in these large cities.  No way.  Don't feel like getting robbed, raped, mugged or even killed by a gun or stabbed to death thank you very much.  Give me a car any day. 

Sorry but LOL! I have lived in NYC for my entire life and have never been robbed, raped, mugged or killed by a gun or stabbed while taking public transportation. I have never known anyone who experienced though things. Oh wait....I do know someone who was pickpocketed  on the subway when he fell asleep on the subway at 3am. But he was just stupid.

Thank you!  I didn't even know how to respond to this.  You said it perfectly.

No one I have known in all my years living in NYC has ever had any of these things happen, and the vast majority take public transportation every day.  

My son, btw, was robbed at gunpoint on a suburban street in a wealthy neighborhood where everyone uses cars as transportation.

That's fine and dandy.  Here, in Washington, DC, I've heard on more than one occasion, people have been shot riding DC Metro buses.  It happens.  Again, give me my car!!!

I lived in DC in the early 70s and was held up at gun point one fine Sunday afternoon on my way to Safeway.  It was a terrifying experience and ultimately led me to move to the suburbs, Alexandria, VA, where my apartment was burglarized (although I am sure it was my exhusband's brother because one of the items stolen was my sewing kit (long story but made sense to me)).  

About 4 years later I moved  back to California, and one Saturday afternoon, in a very upscale area at a very small branch of my bank, was in a bank robbery.  I saw out of the corner of my eye someone come in with a ski mask and what looked like a sawed off 22 rifle, and he shot once into the floor to get our attention.  He got it.  My point it, bad things can happen anywhere!

And I really hope being the victim of three crimes I have had my lifetime allowance of crime. I didn't have a car until I moved to VA, and anytime we wanted to get away we rented a car.  I miss the simplicity of not  being a car owner/maintainer/insurance/car payment payer!  My next move will be somewhere where I don't have to rely on a car for my day to day needs, and hopefully that is a long way away.