Honored Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

We split our time between the city and NJ.  My husband must have a car because he needs to get where he's needed at all hours.  He pays an arm and a leg for the parking garage across from our apartment. I never drive in the city.

I remember a poster tell us he/she took the bus to work, the grocery store and the laundermat. It was only public transportation or walking for this person. 

Honored Contributor

@Winter Holiday wrote:

@Katcat1 its not about expecting or relying on its about being decent people and helping out every once in awhile. If you can't handle that or refuse to you are not a nice human being and quite frankly someone I personally wouldn't give the time of  day  to. I believe in helping people and selflessness. There is too much selfish in the world me and mine and not enough giving and others. 

Speaking of time of day, nice human being, etc. - I have seen no such demonstration in your posts. It's your way or nothing, no exceptions, no extenuating circumstances. Anyone who needs a ride for whatever reason is a saint, anyone who isn't willing to provide a ride whenever or wherever is snail slime.

I don't think most people in this thread would want to be your bosom buddy either. Ten foot poles and all that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I still need to read the article itself but I would never rent out my car.  That's one thing I never learned to share even with family members.  People usually don't treat property that doesn't belong to them well.  And I would love to know how the insurance works in case of an accident; god forbid they kill someone in your car.  Guess who is getting sued.  You.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole Uber thing since I was taught never to get into a stranger's car.  The world has moved past me although I'm glad people are so trusting of each other these days.

Just the whole idea that people will take a stranger's car anytime that they have no idea is safe, insured, or not stolen but maybe won't take a public train/bus system that is constantly regulated for health and safety every day and monitored.  I don't quite get the logic.       

@Laura14, out of curiosity I went to their website and looked it up. TURO provides $1 million in liability insurance which includes theft on your vehicle.  In that case, the person renting their vehicle can make anywhere from 65-85% of the trip price.  If people have their own commercial rental insurance they can waive the insurance coverage and make 90%.  The amount you make on renting your car depends of the year and make  & overall market value of the car. 

They source a $20,000 market value car rented out for 15 days/month would earn $6, 500/year.

I am not interested, but not a totally bad deal for those that want to do it. 

@pitdakota  Thanks for doing the legwork!

I still wouldn't do it.  You know how fast $1,000,000 goes when you have medical bills and an at fault accident?  Not for me either. And I noticed it is liability and not collision insurance.  You still have to replace your car after all this and or get it repaired at your own expense/insurance.  

You’re covered by $1 million in liability insurance and your car is protected against physical damage. Or bring your own commercial rental insurance and take a bigger piece of the pie.

your car is covered under their insurance coverage also, but you CAN get a commercial policy instead on your own.

In the event your car is unfortunately totaled, or deemed a total loss, Turo provides coverage up to the actual cash value (ACV) of the car, up to a limit of USD $125,000 in the US and CAD $75,000 in Canada. The only exceptions, in both the US and Canada, are the Tesla model X and model S; these vehicles will be covered up to their actual cash value with no other limit.

This coverage applies to owners who are utilizing a Turo protection plan for their vehicle(s) and do not violate our Terms of service. This coverage does not apply to owners who use their own commercial rental liability insurance instead of Turo’s protection.

In some states, certain coverages may continue to stay with the vehicle, even during the rental period. In states where  the UIM/UM, PIP, and liability coverages “follow the vehicle”, in the event of an accident, the owner’s insurance could be implicated. To note, Turo, through its third party liability insurer, provides the statutory minimum UM/UIM coverage in all states, which may sometimes be zero.

@sunshine45  Thanks for the explanation.  I still wonder how much money people really make after you expense out the extra insurance, gas, and wear and tear.  It's still not for me but obviously a lot of people apparently make it work.  Thumbs up if it's worth it to you.    

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Winter Holiday wrote:

@Katcat1 its not about expecting or relying on its about being decent people and helping out every once in awhile. If you can't handle that or refuse to you are not a nice human being and quite frankly someone I personally wouldn't give the time of  day  to. I believe in helping people and selflessness. There is too much selfish in the world me and mine and not enough giving and others. 

Speaking of time of day, nice human being, etc. - I have seen no such demonstration in your posts. It's your way or nothing, no exceptions, no extenuating circumstances. Anyone who needs a ride for whatever reason is a saint, anyone who isn't willing to provide a ride whenever or wherever is snail slime.

I don't think most people in this thread would want to be your bosom buddy either. Ten foot poles and all that.

@MoonchildeWow.  Just wow.  You don't speak for "most people" here. 

You don't see your posts as commanding others to act as YOU would while picking at them for the same thing.  It goes on constantly.  Chill out already.

smh  I get her point-if you do a person a favor ONCE IN A WHILE and expect something in return then the favor is a negative, imo.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Chill, @Cakers3, CHILL 😎

You don't love me. I'm well aware of that. I'll live.

Have a lovely weekend.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Winter Holiday wrote:

Whoa, and you accused me of making a statement that "wasn't even remotely" close to what was posted.

lol!  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Article on NBC news this evening -- the new thing for people living in the city is not owning a car. They can easily use public transportation or walk  for their daily needs and on those occasions when they need a car they just rent one for the day. And where do they rent them - well people who own cars advertise them for rent a few days a month which greatly helps them with the expense of owning a car.Financially good idea for both sides.

However, I have known friends who did not have a car and they are a bit of a pain in the neck to their friends and relatives who are always having to drive them places.

@151949

This isn't new. Ask anyone who lives in NYC.

But I suppose it is new for people who move to big cities and then realize they don't need a car.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Winter Holiday wrote:

Whoa, and you accused me of making a statement that "wasn't even remotely" close to what was posted.

lol!  

Winter Holiday has posted repeatedly in this thread pretty condemnatory and nasty towards anyone (and there have been several) who has said that they have had repeated bad experiences with those wanting rides. She chose in her comments to label those who don't, or have stopped, giving rides. She chose to respond as if every person wanting a ride was a blameless and anyone who didn't give rides was a horrible human being. She was very blunt about it, and cared not at all what people might think of her opinions.

I was not the only person who didn't appreciate her attitude and said so; it's not "just me."

The fact that two posters have singled me out tells me all I need to know. It's posters wanting a swipe at me - any way they can get it. Doing it through/over a third party is the "safe, approved" way, apparently. LOL.

Respected Contributor

I will give someone a ride if I am not busy. I will not give someone a ride if it becomes habit. Buy a car. My time is my time and just as important as yours. 

If that makes me bad...I don't care.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.