Honored Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Lucky Dog wrote:

For me, when I go grocery shopping, I usually have several bags.   Don't know how I would manage that on a bus.

People in the big cities use folding shopping carts that they take on buses and trains @Lucky Dog

When I lived in NYC I walked to the markets.  They were all right there, no need to take a bus to get my groceries.

Esteemed Contributor

We have two cars and are thinking of going down to ONE since we travel together.  We are rural and the closest grocery store is 12 miles round trip. I would love to have NO car but I know if we live here for the rest of our lives that is only a dream.  We would starve to death or have little or nothing to do since everything is 10 miles away or more.  We dance almost every evening and our trips are 120 miles round trip and in many cases city traffic. 

But I would not trade our situation just to have NO CAR.  We are truly blessed with great country scenery and wonderful neighbors. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just one more comment.  Because of our rural setting and the distances to get necessities I have one fear that if we can no longer drive safely THAT WE WILL BE FORCED TO MOVE.  I really don't want to go into a senior home of some sorts....Fortunately our state does not have age laws for driving.    

Respected Contributor

I have never lived anywhere where public transportation would be possible.  You would need a car to get to it.  I think I would love it if I did.  I don't love driving and it would be a some exercise.  Also it would seem great to be able to sit back and read while the driver gets me where I need to go.

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I love the freedom of a car.  I never have to worry about bad weather or people or getting sunburn or windburn. So many advantages to owning a car that i never will be without one. When you live in a city where many own one and you walk, you are breathing in noxious car fumes which is like 2nd hand smoke. No thank you. Yes insurance is expensive as are repairs. It's all figured in to our household budget and we'll never be without our cars.  

I wouldn't be without a car either.  I"d be scared to death to take public transportation in these large cities.  No way.  Don't feel like getting robbed, raped, mugged or even killed by a gun or stabbed to death thank you very much.  Give me a car any day. 

Sorry but LOL! I have lived in NYC for my entire life and have never been robbed, raped, mugged or killed by a gun or stabbed while taking public transportation. I have never known anyone who experienced though things. Oh wait....I do know someone who was pickpocketed  on the subway when he fell asleep on the subway at 3am. But he was just stupid.

Thank you!  I didn't even know how to respond to this.  You said it perfectly.

No one I have known in all my years living in NYC has ever had any of these things happen, and the vast majority take public transportation every day.  

My son, btw, was robbed at gunpoint on a suburban street in a wealthy neighborhood where everyone uses cars as transportation.

That's fine and dandy.  Here, in Washington, DC, I've heard on more than one occasion, people have been shot riding DC Metro buses.  It happens.  Again, give me my car!!!

there are stories about bad things happening no matter where you live. What I and others are saying is the stories you believe are not as common as you believe.They are the exception rather than the rule. I have a car and would not give it up. I also have no qualms about taking public transportation whe it makes life easier.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Whatever works for them. For me, a car/SUV/truck till I die.

Honored Contributor

I lived in NYC during the transit strike of 1980.  I had a car, lived in Queens, but took the subway to work in Manhattan.  During the strike I drove and talk about a PITA.  I worked midtown, 54th street and 6th Avenue.  There was no way to park anywhere near where I worked and I ended up parking in the Stuvesant Town area, around 1st Avenue and 19th Street.  I had friends who lived down there and kind of knew that it was possible (if you gave yourself enough time to look) to find a spot there on the street for the day.  It could take me an hour to find a spot.  But it was what I had to do.  Then I'd walk from there uptown and across town to my job.  Then back again at the end of the work day.

No one can tell me that they would choose to do that every day instead of hopping the train!

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Lucky Dog wrote:

For me, when I go grocery shopping, I usually have several bags.   Don't know how I would manage that on a bus.

People in the big cities use folding shopping carts that they take on buses and trains @Lucky Dog

When I lived in NYC I walked to the markets.  They were all right there, no need to take a bus to get my groceries.

@Exactly @QueenDanceALot. There are 5 supermarkets within walking distance of where I live, not to mention outdoor Farmers Markets in the spring and summer. The choices are outstanding, the convenience is great. 

Honored Contributor

I live in a city but it's not a huge city. There is no way we could go without car as we do not have public transportation and things aren't close enough for us to walk to.    

I have a friend who lives in NYC and she hasn't had a car in 10+ years.  She lives in an apartment and ubers to work everyday.  Her apartment complex also has some type of car service where she can pay to use a car if the need arises. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Lucky Dog wrote:

It's very common in the city to have groceries delivered.  If I'm buying a lot, I usually walk home with one bag, and have the rest delivered.  There are also stores everywhere, so I tend to do small shopping trips in my day-to-day travels on my way home rather than the big grocery store trips I do when I'm in the suburbs.

Lots of people in NY do shopping in their own neighborhoods, and so carrying groceries on public transportation isn't their usual habit.  People do, of course, but most of the people I know walk to local stores and then walk back home.  Not a big deal at all.

I think if someone has never been to NYC, they cannot fathom what it's like there.  I know I couldn't.  I had no idea until I made my first trip in December.  If you actually live in the city, IMO it would be a total pain to even have a car. 

You walk out of apartments and there is a Whole Foods, or whatever, right next door.  There are tons of stores like Ann Taylor, Sephora, Old Navy, etc.  on the same block as the apartments. Tons of dining choices.  It's nothing like living in the city I live in.   

There are many people who live in a suburb and take public transportation to work in downtown Cleveland.  I used to work in downtown Cleveland and to save money, I took a bus.  However, it wasn't convenient for me and added hours to my day.  I had to drive about 30 minutes to get the bus and then it took almost 1 hour for the bus to get me to downtown because of all the stops.  Then it dropped me 2 blocks from work so I walked the 2 blocks.  To go home, I had to walk 2 blocks back to get the bus, another 1 hour back to the parking lot where my car was and then a 30 minute drive home.  Had I just driven from home to work, I was there in 45 min. to an hour.

When I got stranded downtown during a huge snowstorm and waited over 3 hours for a bus to get home from work, that was the last time I took a bus.  From then on, I paid the daily parking fee and drove myself.    

And for the record, yes there were some major crazies who rode the bus.  And people who smelled and looked as if they hadn't showered in days and days.