Honored Contributor

People choosing to not own a car.

[ Edited ]

Article on NBC news this evening -- the new thing for people living in the city is not owning a car. They can easily use public transportation or walk  for their daily needs and on those occasions when they need a car they just rent one for the day. And where do they rent them - well people who own cars advertise them for rent a few days a month which greatly helps them with the expense of owning a car.Financially good idea for both sides.

However, I have known friends who did not have a car and they are a bit of a pain in the neck to their friends and relatives who are always having to drive them places.

Super Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

If I had a choice I would not own a car either.  Just get to the bus stop from my house you need to drive there.  Makes no sense.  

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Article on NBC news this evening -- the new thing for people living in the city is not owning a car. They can easily use public transportation or walk  for their daily needs and on those occasions when they need a car they just rent one for the day. And where do they rent them - well people who own cars advertise them for rent a few days a month which greatly helps them with the expense of owning a car.Financially good idea for both sides.

However, I have known friends who did not have a car and they are a bit of a pain in the neck to their friends and relatives who are always having to drive them places.

Nothing new about this for New Yorkers.  Many people in the city don't or never have owned a car.  It's not new.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I have a friend that lives in New York and she doesn't even have a drivers license and never has. She uses the subway and walks everywhere year round and takes a taxi like to the airport. Another friend lives in Minneapolis and doesn't own a vehicle either. Says the trasit system is so amazing it is not necessary and a lot cheaper than paying insurance, parking and up keep on a vehicle.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

my daughter lived in philadelphia for four years and did not own a car. she knew how to use their public transportation system AND also used uber and her feet Smiley Wink. she did not miss having a car at all. when she wanted to come home she took the megabus.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Zip cars have been around for a long time in Chicago.   Now there's Uber and Lyft.   There are many choices for people who don't own cars nowadays 

Honored Contributor

This has been true for many years in cities with great public transportation, and for the physically fit.

It doesn't work if you live where the public transportation isn't good and/or the person's physical state is such that climbing in and out of buses and the metro stations and walking long distances isn't easy or simple. There is Uber and Lyft, but depending on what city it can get semi-expensive if you use it all the time.

I had a co-worker originally from Boston who was used to taking public trans everywhere. She decided when she moved to LA that she didn't want the hassle and expense of a car. She took the crappy, always semi-dangerous public trans, and walked - and was constantly (daily, weekly) trying to invite herself along to go places she couldn't get to and needed to be driven to. And you had to pick her up and drop her off, even if the destination was in the opposite direction. After time #3 I just ignored the hints and pleas. Never offered to pay for gas, never offered to buy a meal, just pushy ride-bumming.  She was always late to work too.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

My 31 year old son has never owned a car, when to school in Seattle and used public transportation, then moved to NYC, again used public transportation.  When he comes home to visit he takes the bus to the DC area and when he and his friends want to do something outside the city, they Uber or rent a car.  Owning a car In NYC is very expensive.  A friend of mine's daughter lived in a condominium in NYC and it cost $700/month just to park the car in the their parking lot, needless to say, they didn't own a car while they lived in the city.  My DS's monthly pass to use transportation is around $110 and he's able to buy it at work using pre-tax dollars.  My DD's boyfriend lives in Alexandria, VA near the metro and doesn't own a car, uses the metro or uber and when he's with my DD, she owns a car.  I know many people that don't own a car but they live in the city near public transportation.  I've always lived where public transportation isn't that great, so I own a car.  I know many people who don't own cars but they live where's there's great public transportation.  When I go to NYC to visit my DS I walk a lot and I use their subway system to get around.  The last time I was in NYC I walked 11 miles in one day, I love walking around NYC and the weather was perfect!    

Respected Contributor

This is an old, old idea. Years ago if you lived in Manhattan,  very few had cars.  There is very little need.

Today in many urban areas parking is very difficult and expensive, traffic is a horror, plus the concern over the 

environment. 

Mass transit, biking are really popular now and necessary.

Honored Contributor

I've moved from an area where a car was required to Chicago and one of the major advantages to me is that I do not need to drive or own a car.  In fact, when my driver's license is up for renewal in a couple of years, I have no intention of  renewing it.  I love public transportation or taking cabs.  Do not miss a car or driving at all.