Honored Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

I live in a semi rural area.  Very few stores.  I think the big shot store is a 7/11 about 2 miles away.  No bus service of any kind.  Average home has about 3 cars. KInd of  like a giant suberb lost in a forest. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Amtrak does not go everywhere. Not in Pittsburgh.WE'd have to travel to DC - hundreds of miles away. Our closest Amtrak in Florida is in the City of Stewart - hundreds of miles away. So if it does not go everywhere - it's not a National rail system.

Europe does have a fabulous rail system and many Europeans do not own or need a car.

@151949 I didn't say it did.  IT IS, HOWEVER our NATIONAL RAIL SYSTEM.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, doing business as Amtrak, is a passenger railroad service that provides medium- and long-distance intercity service in the contiguous United States. Wikipedia

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

How can it be a NATIONAL rail system if it doesn't go to at least each major city in each state. Pa has 2 major cities Pittsburgh & phila. - it would need to go to them both at least, not to mention Harrisburgh , the state capital. And that ios just one state.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Amtrak does not go everywhere. Not in Pittsburgh.WE'd have to travel to DC - hundreds of miles away. Our closest Amtrak in Florida is in the City of Stewart - hundreds of miles away. So if it does not go everywhere - it's not a National rail system.

Europe does have a fabulous rail system and many Europeans do not own or need a car.

@151949 Perhaps you should google more or look up Amtrak's schedule! Amtrak DOES go to Pittsburgh!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

We tried to come to Pittsburgh via Amtrak from Florida - we could not do it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You most likely will have to change trains in Philadelphia which by the way is a very nice station to have a layover. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

How can it be a NATIONAL rail system if it doesn't go to at least each major city in each state. Pa has 2 major cities Pittsburgh & phila. - it would need to go to them both at least, not to mention Harrisburgh , the state capital. And that ios just one state.

I can't tell you why AMTRAK operates the way it does.  GET OUT!  I can only TELL YOU WHAT WE HAVE.  THERE IS NO OTHER RAIL SYSTEM IN THIS COUNTRY.  AMTRAK IS OUR NATIONAL RAIL SYSTEM.  WRITE YOUR LEGISLATORS WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT'S FUNDING. @151949.  Next: get over it.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

AMTRAK.jpgThe railway does not have to have the same name to be a part of the National Railway System.  

You can get a train from several places in Florida to Washington and you know you can get from Washington to Pittsburgh!  

Just because it is not one way, non-stop does not mean you can't get there from here!

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

You most likely will have to change trains in Philadelphia which by the way is a very nice station to have a layover. 

You certainly can.  From 30th Street Station to Pittsburgh.  One can google schedule and fares.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~