Esteemed Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

My one niece and nephew live in NYC and do not drive.

I was raised in a city here in PA and lived there until I REmarried 10&1/2 yrs ago (now I live in the country).

My grandparents did not drive. My dad drove but my mom never drove. (My aunts and uncles drove and were the first to leave the city),

Anyway everything was nearby and people took public transportation and or walked.

Me, my brother, and my kids (who were raised in the city) all drive.

No one we know still lives in the city, everyone moved out.

But I can tell you what I miss most about the city is everything was nearby. Its still SO annoying to me that we have to drive far just to get groceries, medicines, the list goes on. Side note; I also miss the people because they were much friendlier in the city than here! (I still have friends I grew up with in the city).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I saw this news story on tonight, but was focused on several things at the same time.

I thought the focus was not about those who live in major cities, but was more addressing  areas where car ownership is more 'traditional' and more people are now foregoing that for renting cars owned by private individuals.

I hope I never have to live somewhere and depend on public transportation for my daily life. It skeeves me out to even go to a movie theater, let alone be on a bus or train everyday to get where I want or need to be. 

In my area of the country, not having your own transportation limits your life considerably. It limits where you can live, and still find employment, access shopping, or have any kind of a social life.

The larger cities in my state have some public transportation (mostly buses), but the more medium and smaller cities really don't have anything that is of any consequence.

@Mominohio,  why are you bothered by being in a movie theater?

@suzyQ3

Have you ever seen the theater with the light up really bright (my son's girlfriend used to work at our theater in high school)? The seats are so nasty dirty (unless you have really new theaters in your area, ours are rather old now). And our pediatrician said that head lice from the back of the seats is common. The floors are sticky....the place is just ...blech!

I'm not a huge germophobe, but certain places kind of skeeve me out. I don't like doing my laundry in a laundromat (again, most around here are kind of dirty, the last one I had to take a few things to actually had roaches running around, I couldn't get out of there fast enough). And in our area, cabs are only taken by the most unseemly people. I think I'd rather walk ten miles than get in a cab in our nearest town, they are so run down and dirty. 

All that said, I do go to the occasional movie,  or a couple of times a year, need to use a laundromat (but don't ride the local buses or cabs!!!). For travel, I'm just really used to my own clean car, and it is just really foreign to me to imagine having to use public transportation on a daily basis, with so many people closed in such confined spaces for daily travel. Just has never been part of my reality. 

@Mominohio, thanks for your reply.

I refuse to give in to such thoughts. I have one life to live, and I will live it going to movies, etc.

Me too!  

In my experience, the things we worry about are not the things that happen.  I have lived thru a lot of personal tragedy, and it's always been something that blindsided us while we were worrying about something else.

People have been killed by out-of-control cars slamming thru their bedroom walls.  We're not 100% safe even in our own beds. 

I shared a story here once about a woman I knew who was terrified to fly.  So she & her husband saved up, and went on a round-the-world cruise.  On the first day, she slipped on a wet step, fell, hit her head, and died.  There's a moral in there somewhere.

And as for germs, they are everywhere.

I am not a courageous person by any means, but I refuse to deprive myself of pleasures in life and I refuse to be ruled by fear.  

Regular Contributor

I've been reading all the comments and its amazing how defensive people are. Call a person out on their unwillingness to help a person in even a single instance and the crowd goes mad.

Some people think people without cars are beneath them and wouldn't help a person without one or even assocate with them. These same people wouldn't help family or friends out at all not even for a pre-planned situation. Other people can't even imagine life without a car lol.

Some assume if someone asks for a ride they are moochers and rely on people ALL THE TIME because they might need a ride once in awhile. That's another huge stretch. There are some wild imaginations here.

I'm not going to participate on these forums anymore and not because anyone thinks they told me off.

I don't wish to interact with narrow minded people and for what its worth there are some strange people on here.

Some are afraid of large cities. Others have never been to one.  Some are silly germaphobes or xenophobes.

Have fun shopping and hoarding!

Respected Contributor

@Winter Holiday wrote:

I've been reading all the comments and its amazing how defensive people are. Call a person out on their unwillingness to help a person in even a single instance and the crowd goes mad.

Some people think people without cars are beneath them and wouldn't help a person without one or even assocate with them. These same people wouldn't help family or friends out at all not even for a pre-planned situation. Other people can't even imagine life without a car lol.

Some assume if someone asks for a ride they are moochers and rely on people ALL THE TIME because they might need a ride once in awhile. That's another huge stretch. There are some wild imaginations here.

I'm not going to participate on these forums anymore and not because anyone thinks they told me off.

I don't wish to interact with narrow minded people and for what its worth there are some strange people on here.

Some are afraid of large cities. Others have never been to one.  Some are silly germaphobes or xenophobes.

Wanna lift?

Honored Contributor

Whatever. I'll drive my car, thank you.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@Winter Holiday wrote:

Buh-bye...........Woman Very Happy

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I saw this news story on tonight, but was focused on several things at the same time.

I thought the focus was not about those who live in major cities, but was more addressing  areas where car ownership is more 'traditional' and more people are now foregoing that for renting cars owned by private individuals.

I hope I never have to live somewhere and depend on public transportation for my daily life. It skeeves me out to even go to a movie theater, let alone be on a bus or train everyday to get where I want or need to be. 

In my area of the country, not having your own transportation limits your life considerably. It limits where you can live, and still find employment, access shopping, or have any kind of a social life.

The larger cities in my state have some public transportation (mostly buses), but the more medium and smaller cities really don't have anything that is of any consequence.

@suzyQ3

Have you ever seen the theater with the light up really bright (my son's girlfriend used to work at our theater in high school)? The seats are so nasty dirty (unless you have really new theaters in your area, ours are rather old now). And our pediatrician said that head lice from the back of the seats is common. The floors are sticky....the place is just ...blech!

I'm not a huge germophobe, but certain places kind of skeeve me out. I don't like doing my laundry in a laundromat (again, most around here are kind of dirty, the last one I had to take a few things to actually had roaches running around, I couldn't get out of there fast enough). And in our area, cabs are only taken by the most unseemly people. I think I'd rather walk ten miles than get in a cab in our nearest town, they are so run down and dirty. 

All that said, I do go to the occasional movie,  or a couple of times a year, need to use a laundromat (but don't ride the local buses or cabs!!!). For travel, I'm just really used to my own clean car, and it is just really foreign to me to imagine having to use public transportation on a daily basis, with so many people closed in such confined spaces for daily travel. Just has never been part of my reality. 

I refuse to give in to such thoughts. I have one life to live, and I will live it going to movies, etc.

Like I said, I go to the movies occasionally (not really much released the last couple of years to interest me anyway), but I prefer to be places that are clean, especially outdoors. Less crowds, more of nature's beauty.

I really don't know what 'thoughts' you refer to. Dirty, bug infested, germy, nasty places aren't a 'thought', they are a reality. I don't live like that, and I don't like to spend time in places that are. And to relate to the actual topic of the thread, most public transportation I've experienced is as well.

If that makes me weird, or somehow outside the social norm, well then, I'll own it, and actually live a pretty full life in spite of it.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3

Me too!  

In my experience, the things we worry about are not the things that happen.  I have lived thru a lot of personal tragedy, and it's always been something that blindsided us while we were worrying about something else.

People have been killed by out-of-control cars slamming thru their bedroom walls.  We're not 100% safe even in our own beds. 

I shared a story here once about a woman I knew who was terrified to fly.  So she & her husband saved up, and went on a round-the-world cruise.  On the first day, she slipped on a wet step, fell, hit her head, and died.  There's a moral in there somewhere.

And as for germs, they are everywhere.

I am not a courageous person by any means, but I refuse to deprive myself of pleasures in life and I refuse to be ruled by fear.  

Please stop putting words in my mouth, which happens here a lot. I never said I was 'afraid'.

I don't like dirty, bug infested places. Sorry if that makes me weird, but where I come from that is normal. Normal clean and decent living people don't enjoy being in places that have roaches running around, dirty stick chairs and floors, cabs that are so gross inside you wouldn't let your dog sit on the seat, or even restaurants where the fabric of the chairs and booths are stained, the carpets dirty etc. 

Some of you must live in places that have lots of really nice and well maintained public transportation and public facilities. Not everyone's experiences are the same. And we certainly aren't some kind of freaks or nuts because we refuse to partake of it on any kind of regular basis.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio There is no theatre in our little town but every Thurs night they have movies in the park. You go & park your car (similar to a drive in) and put the radio on a certain channel to get the sound. You can either sit in the car or bring lawn chairs. Most folks bring a picnic basket of snacks. Due to geckos and snakes and other creepy crawlies in Fl. I wear long pants , walking shoes and a lot of deep woods off. Otherwise, though, it is very enjoyable. They show first run movies and it is only $5 per person. I've seen some folks come in pajamas - a little extreme to my way of thinking but whatever.

We also have dinner and a movie once a month at our church. Eat dinner in the social hall then they show the movies in the sanctuary. I understand they are always crowded but we don't go because sitting in those hard wood pews for 2 to 21/2 hours does not appeal to me. I believe it costs $10 a person but that includes dinner.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I have taken public transportation since 1969. My husband was in the army stationed in New England. He had to take the car to work so I took two buses for the job I had for the nine months we were there. Part of the time was in the freezing weather and snow. Not fun.