Honored Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

@Mominohio, I know, I'll bet it's not. But a sleigh ride in winter could be  fun, and a hayride in the fall with cider and doughnuts!! LOL

Honored Contributor

If you choose not to own a car and need a ride somewhere then you need to rent a car or call a taxi.  It's not right to expect friends and family to drive you around unless you paying them.  IMO  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I still need to read the article itself but I would never rent out my car.  That's one thing I never learned to share even with family members.  People usually don't treat property that doesn't belong to them well.  And I would love to know how the insurance works in case of an accident; god forbid they kill someone in your car.  Guess who is getting sued.  You.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole Uber thing since I was taught never to get into a stranger's car.  The world has moved past me although I'm glad people are so trusting of each other these days.

Just the whole idea that people will take a stranger's car anytime that they have no idea is safe, insured, or not stolen but maybe won't take a public train/bus system that is constantly regulated for health and safety every day and monitored.  I don't quite get the logic.       

@Laura14, out of curiosity I went to their website and looked it up. TURO provides $1 million in liability insurance which includes theft on your vehicle.  In that case, the person renting their vehicle can make anywhere from 65-85% of the trip price.  If people have their own commercial rental insurance they can waive the insurance coverage and make 90%.  The amount you make on renting your car depends of the year and make  & overall market value of the car. 

They source a $20,000 market value car rented out for 15 days/month would earn $6, 500/year.

I am not interested, but not a totally bad deal for those that want to do it. 

@pitdakota  Thanks for doing the legwork!

I still wouldn't do it.  You know how fast $1,000,000 goes when you have medical bills and an at fault accident?  Not for me either. And I noticed it is liability and not collision insurance.  You still have to replace your car after all this and or get it repaired at your own expense/insurance.  

Regular Contributor

People with extreme immune issues would not be riding public transportation they probably would be confined to the house with home care. Disabled passengers get first priority when it comes to getting on the train and especially the bus. If a disabled passenger needs to get on with their wheelchair the people sitting where this person would be seated have to get up and give up their seats the same goes for people with crutches, canes, the elderly and expectant mothers. Where I live most train stations have elevators and escalators at each station and the ones that don't are currently being renovated to be up to date. Where I live most commercial streets have bus routes so any walk isn't too far. There is also para transit services for the disabled so they can be picked up and dropped off at home.
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Article on NBC news this evening -- the new thing for people living in the city is not owning a car. They can easily use public transportation or walk  for their daily needs and on those occasions when they need a car they just rent one for the day. And where do they rent them - well people who own cars advertise them for rent a few days a month which greatly helps them with the expense of owning a car.Financially good idea for both sides.

However, I have known friends who did not have a car and they are a bit of a pain in the neck to their friends and relatives who are always having to drive them places.

I agree. It is probably great for people who live in a large city to not own a car. They have such excellent public transportation. I live in a very small town with taxis and a senior bus that only runs 5 days a week during limited hours.

There is a new gal in a group that I am in who does not have a car. She lives in a completely different direction than I live. She usually takes a taxi to the group and then calls for a taxi afterward. I have given her a ride a few times in urgent situations. She makes a big scene out of having to take a taxi. Nobody in the group wants to be committed to picking her up and driving her home every week. She even asks to use other people's cell phones to call for the taxi when she forgets hers.

Recently when we had an early morning activity, she asked me to call her at 6:00 am and give her a wakeup call. I just felt that she was becoming too dependent on me. I told her that I was very busy in the morning and did not want to be responsible for her not getting up if I forget to call. You do a little favor for some people and the next thing you know, they are dependent on you.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Regular Contributor

@Katcat1 its not about expecting or relying on its about being decent people and helping out every once in awhile. If you can't handle that or refuse to you are not a nice human being and quite frankly someone I personally wouldn't give the time of  day  to. I believe in helping people and selflessness. There is too much selfish in the world me and mine and not enough giving and others. 

Honored Contributor

@Winter Holiday So you have told us in this thread repeatedly about how you feel others should put themselves out to cater to you and give you rides etc. My question to you is - in what way do you put yourself out to cater to others and do for them? This is a 2 way street you know.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I still need to read the article itself but I would never rent out my car.  That's one thing I never learned to share even with family members.  People usually don't treat property that doesn't belong to them well.  And I would love to know how the insurance works in case of an accident; god forbid they kill someone in your car.  Guess who is getting sued.  You.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole Uber thing since I was taught never to get into a stranger's car.  The world has moved past me although I'm glad people are so trusting of each other these days.

Just the whole idea that people will take a stranger's car anytime that they have no idea is safe, insured, or not stolen but maybe won't take a public train/bus system that is constantly regulated for health and safety every day and monitored.  I don't quite get the logic.       

@Laura14, out of curiosity I went to their website and looked it up. TURO provides $1 million in liability insurance which includes theft on your vehicle.  In that case, the person renting their vehicle can make anywhere from 65-85% of the trip price.  If people have their own commercial rental insurance they can waive the insurance coverage and make 90%.  The amount you make on renting your car depends of the year and make  & overall market value of the car. 

They source a $20,000 market value car rented out for 15 days/month would earn $6, 500/year.

I am not interested, but not a totally bad deal for those that want to do it. 

@pitdakota  Thanks for doing the legwork!

I still wouldn't do it.  You know how fast $1,000,000 goes when you have medical bills and an at fault accident?  Not for me either. And I noticed it is liability and not collision insurance.  You still have to replace your car after all this and or get it repaired at your own expense/insurance.  

You’re covered by $1 million in liability insurance and your car is protected against physical damage. Or bring your own commercial rental insurance and take a bigger piece of the pie.

your car is covered under their insurance coverage also, but you CAN get a commercial policy instead on your own.

In the event your car is unfortunately totaled, or deemed a total loss, Turo provides coverage up to the actual cash value (ACV) of the car, up to a limit of USD $125,000 in the US and CAD $75,000 in Canada. The only exceptions, in both the US and Canada, are the Tesla model X and model S; these vehicles will be covered up to their actual cash value with no other limit.

This coverage applies to owners who are utilizing a Turo protection plan for their vehicle(s) and do not violate our Terms of service. This coverage does not apply to owners who use their own commercial rental liability insurance instead of Turo’s protection.

In some states, certain coverages may continue to stay with the vehicle, even during the rental period. In states where  the UIM/UM, PIP, and liability coverages “follow the vehicle”, in the event of an accident, the owner’s insurance could be implicated. To note, Turo, through its third party liability insurer, provides the statutory minimum UM/UIM coverage in all states, which may sometimes be zero.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We've made "do" with one car (DH and I) for over a decade.  We would love to give up the car but right now it's not practical.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winter Holiday,  How dare you presume that I would not help someone out.  Some people can take advantage of other people's kindness and take advantage of it.  Asking someone one or twice is one thing but all the time a person becomes a pain and if you can't handle that then be a goody two shoes.  The person always asking could offer to take the person to lunch or do something nice in return or at least offer it.

kindness is strength