Honored Contributor

Re: People choosing to not own a car.

[ Edited ]

More and more younger people are not even getting a driver's license. The cost of owning a car is not in their budgets--car payment, gas, maintenance, registration, parking fees, insurance can be very costly.

Many of them eat out frequently and stop at the deli daily for food. People need to realize that living in a large city is very different from living in a rural area. Many places cars are a necessity.

Honored Contributor

@Winter Holiday wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I will always own a car.  I do not like riding on public transportation...siting next to/ touching and smelling the person/ Stranger next to me..... YUK!  Nuts ride the bus...and hang out at the bus stops....And, I do not want to carry bags  of groceries ....and walk  a half a mile from bus stop to my home in the rain or heat. 

Yes nuts also drive the roads ...but I will take my chances.

I will always have a car until I am too old to drive.  Then I will take a taxi if necessary. Or I will hopefully have a car that drives itself!

Not having a vehicle is a perfectly acceptable way of life. It is what one likes or is used to. If you have never had the experience it seems strange. The whole germ thing is overrated.

Using public transit helps keep people active rather than going from the grage door to the car to the store. This helps prevent the stuff your face get in the the car lifestyle with little activity involved.

Taking public transit as a way of life requires free thinking and isn't for a lazy person.

The "nut" stories are overrated. I couldn't disagree with you more on the germs. If anything being around a lot of other people helps build immunity. I never get sick. The weather turns cold and my car owning friends are sniveling and the flu instantly hits them its because their bodies are weak.   

I think people are thinking that what works in their community or for their way of life is best for everyone, and it indeed doesn't. 

Major cities (DC, NYC ) especially along the east coast, well, owning a car can be simply crazy. Traffic, parking, etc. just makes it a nightmare, and a huge cost. 

Living rural or in the 'burbs' NOT owning a car can be just as big a nightmare. No decent public transportation, no way to get to jobs, stores, etc. without a vehicle or someone to take you. 

The biggest thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that people with limited abilities and immune issues are hampered when public transportation is their main choice. The trains and buses are enclosed petri dishes for people with immune issues, and hard to access for people with physical limitations, especially when they are crowded. 

It sounds like many staunch public transporation supporters here don't understand that many people don't have the ability to walk blocks and blocks to and from the transportation, may have trouble climbing steps up and down out of busses or subways, and standing/walking out in the elements (heat, rain, snow, ice, wind)  isn't something a lot of people who are elderly or impared wish to or are able to do either. 

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Article on NBC news this evening -- the new thing for people living in the city is not owning a car. They can easily use public transportation or walk  for their daily needs and on those occasions when they need a car they just rent one for the day. And where do they rent them - well people who own cars advertise them for rent a few days a month which greatly helps them with the expense of owning a car.Financially good idea for both sides.

However, I have known friends who did not have a car and they are a bit of a pain in the neck to their friends and relatives who are always having to drive them places.

This is nothing new, both of my parents were born , raised and lived in NYC for most of their lives. A car wasn't needed 90% of the time, my father did not own a car until our family moved to suburban New Jersey in the mid 60's. 

Exactly.  I would love to know more about this news story because by no stretch of the imagination is this anything new.

It's not bnew in NYC but it is new in other cities.

I know of many cities where it is not at all new.  NYC is not the only one.  It's just common sense - People with access to public transportation don't have as much need for a car.

Again, this news is really not "new".  

I'll repeat what I posted earlier. My take on half hearing the news report was that this wasn't as much about big cities like NYC. It was about renting out private cars, how people were using that to pay off their car loans, how other people found it more economical to not own a car and rent from an individual, but in areas that previously were NOT known to have such a large population of non owners.

In other words, is wasn't a debate about public transportation vs car ownership, it was about a relatively new source of obtaining transportation....renting a privately owned car from an individual...instead of from a rental company or instead of using public transportation on certain occasions.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Lucky Dog wrote:

For me, when I go grocery shopping, I usually have several bags.   Don't know how I would manage that on a bus.

It's very common in the city to have groceries delivered.  If I'm buying a lot, I usually walk home with one bag, and have the rest delivered.  There are also stores everywhere, so I tend to do small shopping trips in my day-to-day travels on my way home rather than the big grocery store trips I do when I'm in the suburbs.

Lots of people in NY do shopping in their own neighborhoods, and so carrying groceries on public transportation isn't their usual habit.  People do, of course, but most of the people I know walk to local stores and then walk back home.  Not a big deal at all.

I think if someone has never been to NYC, they cannot fathom what it's like there.  I know I couldn't.  I had no idea until I made my first trip in December.  If you actually live in the city, IMO it would be a total pain to even have a car. 

You walk out of apartments and there is a Whole Foods, or whatever, right next door.  There are tons of stores like Ann Taylor, Sephora, Old Navy, etc.  on the same block as the apartments. Tons of dining choices.  It's nothing like living in the city I live in.   

There are many people who live in a suburb and take public transportation to work in downtown Cleveland.  I used to work in downtown Cleveland and to save money, I took a bus.  However, it wasn't convenient for me and added hours to my day.  I had to drive about 30 minutes to get the bus and then it took almost 1 hour for the bus to get me to downtown because of all the stops.  Then it dropped me 2 blocks from work so I walked the 2 blocks.  To go home, I had to walk 2 blocks back to get the bus, another 1 hour back to the parking lot where my car was and then a 30 minute drive home.  Had I just driven from home to work, I was there in 45 min. to an hour.

When I got stranded downtown during a huge snowstorm and waited over 3 hours for a bus to get home from work, that was the last time I took a bus.  From then on, I paid the daily parking fee and drove myself.    

And for the record, yes there were some major crazies who rode the bus.  And people who smelled and looked as if they hadn't showered in days and days.

Sounds like a nightmare and too people-y for me. lol...I'll stay in Podunk with my car. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To address @mominohio's last two paragraphs:

"The biggest thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that people with limited abilities and immune issues are hampered when public transportation is their main choice. The trains and buses are enclosed petri dishes for people with immune issues, and hard to access for people with physical limitations, especially when they are crowded. 

It sounds like many staunch public transporation supporters here don't understand that many people don't have the ability to walk blocks and blocks to and from the transportation, may have trouble climbing steps up and down out of busses or subways, and standing/walking out in the elements (heat, rain, snow, ice, wind)  isn't something a lot of people who are elderly or impared wish to or are able to do either."

-----------------------------------

Trains and buses are no more "enclosed petri dishes" than any other enclosed public space, including hospitals and doctors' offices.

As far as people with physical limitations, there are elevators and wheelchair lifts in the subway and bus systems. In addition, NYC (and I'm sure other large cities) is wonderful in offering other transportation options such as free vans or cars to and from. All that is required is a doctor's certification.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Grocery shopping would be my main concern without a car.  GEtting on and off a bus with steps or up and down a subway entrance trying to maneuver a portable grocery cart with several heavy items like bottles of water or a gallon of milk plus other items would seem to be difficult.  The alternative would seem to be multiple weekly stops at a grocery store to pick up a few items at a time which would be very time consuming.

You wouldn't have to step or down on a bus @KathyPet, today's buses lower right down to be even with the curb to allow for wheelchairs, strollers as well as shopping carts. Just about all big buses in the big cities all over the USA also have bike racks in the front.

In NYC  major subway stops there are escalators and elevators to accommodate luggage, and the above mentioned items.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Lucky Dog wrote:

For me, when I go grocery shopping, I usually have several bags.   Don't know how I would manage that on a bus.

People in the big cities use folding shopping carts that they take on buses and trains @Lucky Dog

When I lived in NYC I walked to the markets.  They were all right there, no need to take a bus to get my groceries.

My mother and her siste liked to go to different neighborhoods to shop for foods that she liked. As I mentioned before my mother was a native New Yorker and knew every neighborhood like the back of her hand. So for her and others like her, she took her cart everywhere @QueenDanceALot

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Winter Holiday wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Winter Holiday Do you consider it "treating someone like garbage under your feet"  for a person to not want to have to drive way out of their way to pick you up and then bring you back home? This is a great inconvenience ! I used to drive someone to work every day we were on the same shift - she lived on a very steep hill, which was dangerous for me in the sleet & snow, she was also never ready and I would be late for work waiting for her. She never bought me any gas despite that I went several miles out of my way to get her, nor did she ever pay for parking despite that if she had been on time we could have parked in the free lot , but because she was late I had to park right at the hospital and pay. However, I felt sorry for her having to walk a couple miles to work if I didn't pick her up. 

If you take it upon yourself to help someone without a car on a regular basis and they never say thank you, are never on time to be picked up or ready to go, or never offer gas money it is understandable to be unhappy.

I feel this needing rides all the time idea about people who don't have cars is exaggerated. I think most are independent and do as much as they can on their own like my husband and myself do. We walk and take transit and take a cab if its an extreme emergency.

I also think most people don't like asking people for help and most don't because of pride when they might really need it. I hate asking anyone for anything that resembles the notion of ASKING for help as I want people to freely help and to never have them tell me how they helped me and what I OWE them. 

The problem I have is the issue with helping AT ALL. For example I don't see it unreasonable for a family member to say take me to Hobby Lobby once a year as there are none in city limits and are so far out even suburban transit can make it there. That is an example. If a family member lives near there why should it be so hard for them to do that for me? Once a year? I mean really that's selfish to say screw you I can do something nice for you and have the means to but I won't. I can't wrap my head around that.

The worse part is people outright not inviting people to things because of no car. No meeting halfway compromise or helping to pay for gas or two different people doing the pick up and drop off. A lot of this happens for events a few times a year anyway.  That's a hell of a thing to tell family members and friends that basically you only want to be around them if its convenient for you or you are getting something out of it. Its selfish. To not even want to hang out with someone because of not having a car and treating them like poor garbage isn't right and that is pretty much what a few comments on here have said.

If you love people you love them no matter what their circumstances or choices are. I would never tell anyone they are an inconvenience to me or basically act like I'm better than them. People have this crazy idea that the amount of material goods and money in their bank account makes them better than others but it doesn't . What matters is how you treat people in your lifetime.

@Winter Holiday

I hear what you are saying, and agree with pretty much all of it.

What I will say, is that when you are the one being 'put upon' if you will, to pick up people (even if it is only a few times a year for special events) it can be an inconvenience or a hardship, or even frightening or stressful. 

I know that if I lived outside a very large city, and had family that asked me to do what you have asked, one issue I would have is hating to drive in major cities. Not just hating it, but actually having a pretty strong aversion to it. Causes me stress and if the city is big enough, actual fear of being on the congested roads in unfamiliar territory. 

Very few people I know, know this about me. They may ask me to pick them up at a major metropolitan airport and it is something I'd really rather not do, not because I don't love or care about them, but because I don't like driving in those situations.

So maybe it isn't about people not caring or not being willing to do something nice, but maybe they have a fear or a dislike of city driving that you aren't even aware of. Just trying to point out that sometimes, things are not what they seem, and people's reasons for what they do or don't do, isn't always what we think.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'll take one horse and buggy please.

Ha! HA! @qualitygal

That is the major mode of transportation on my road! Live in an Amish community.

And I have to say, even that has it's issues!!!

Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva wrote:  

There are many people who live in a suburb and take public transportation to work in downtown Cleveland.  I used to work in downtown Cleveland and to save money, I took a bus.  However, it wasn't convenient for me and added hours to my day.  I had to drive about 30 minutes to get the bus and then it took almost 1 hour for the bus to get me to downtown because of all the stops.  Then it dropped me 2 blocks from work so I walked the 2 blocks.  To go home, I had to walk 2 blocks back to get the bus, another 1 hour back to the parking lot where my car was and then a 30 minute drive home.  Had I just driven from home to work, I was there in 45 min. to an hour.

When I got stranded downtown during a huge snowstorm and waited over 3 hours for a bus to get home from work, that was the last time I took a bus.  From then on, I paid the daily parking fee and drove myself.    

And for the record, yes there were some major crazies who rode the bus.  And people who smelled and looked as if they hadn't showered in days and days.

@Lipstickdiva

Your experience sounds similar to this-

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/video-baltimore-s-struggle-to-get-to-work/9636118