Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pele & Telephone Etiquette, Oy.

@Travone wrote:

If  that is the worst thing that happened to you yesterday, you should be on your knees thanking the good Lord. 

Hear, hear

Esteemed Contributor

Re: People & Telephone Etiquette, Oy.

Back in the day when I was a  receptionist, if you asked,CAN YOU HOLD PLEASE, YOU WAITED FOR AN ANSWER. Now they just put you on hold.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

If I had a call from someone I recognized and he asked for my BIL, we would have nice chat.  

For sure I would not have him told I was a wrong number.  Now that would be rude I think.

I read the OP over a few times because that was my reaction too, and I wasn't sure I was understanding it correctly.  It sounds like it wasn't just a random wrong number - There was actually a family connection.  If that's the case, I agree with you 100%!

Esteemed Contributor

For the last five years or so I get messages at least two or three times a month from Walgreens Pharmacy saying the prescription for Donna M is ready for pickup.  I've tried calling back the number but it just disconnects.  The pharmacy that calls is about one hour away from me.  I  did call the pharmacy directly a few times and was told they would remove my phone number -- never happened.  Why doesn't this Donna M realize they have her number wrong.  It is so annoying.

Honored Contributor

The pizza shop story brought back a memory. One of our sons had the same phone number as a pizza place but in a different area code. People called all the time wanting to order pizza. Once when he was bored he took the order & said 20 minutes to them & hung up! 

LOL

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I had someone call me from a local Tyson plant, wondering where I was, as I wasn't at work. Well, cause I was in the bed, it was before 6 am & I didn't work there. I told her she had the wrong number, and I hung up. She called me back, and argued with me that I was to so and so and that I needed to come to work! I had to keep telling her she had the wrong number.

There is a dentist in town whose telephone number is one digit different than mine at the office.  Many many wrong numbers over the decades.  Usually I give the correct and explain their one digit mistake.  So I am used to wrong numbers but one woman called wrong but not for the dentist and was so put out the number was not right.  She "told" me to look it up for her in the telephone directory.  I said "do I sound like a telephone operator?" I hung up.  I did help a woman calling from Oregon who called here by mistake and found the correct number for her.  We talked for about 15 minutes, it was so nice.  People could get a lot more out of life if they were pleasant to begin with.

I once talked to a wrong number for a half hour.  Sometimes you just "connect" with people.  (No pun intended)

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

What I find rude is when someone I don't know calls me and says "your number was on my caller ID--what do you want?"   And one time a lady called me saying this and when I told her that no, I didn't call her, she kept arguing with me that I did!.  Good grief!  I don't like when they call back just because your no. shows up on the caller ID (unless it's one they know). I mean, if it's important they will call back.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Cakers3   I did not hang up on him. He hung up after I said he got the wrong brother. I was going to give him the right # but he hung up.

It was a person in town not the church number.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   My apology.  I read it wrong.Cat Embarassed

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I used to have a phone number that formerly belonged to a local rabbi.  I got calls every now and then from people in his congregation.  Usually they were letting him know about a death or serious illness, sometimes they were sharing good news.  Almost always they were very emotional, in need of the rabbi to pray or visit or officiate a funeral.  I tried to be sensitive to their situations, and had conversations with some very nice people.

Honored Contributor

I even turned off my answer machine.  It rings and rings (probably 5 times) and finally stops.

Sometimes I'll click over....wait about 1 to 2 seconds and click off.  Drives my daughter crazy when she stays here (like now).

She picks it up and answers.  It's almost all political now.

It's just wasted money to keep the home phone but I've had it for almost 50 years.  I hate to delete it.

During 9/11 my land line always worked.  Most people I knew who only had cell phones had trouble getting thru, especially since we are a few miles from the Pentagon.

My friends and I old foggies are the few who still have land lines.