Esteemed Contributor

Re: People & Telephone Etiquette, Oy.

I had someone call me from a local Tyson plant, wondering where I was, as I wasn't at work. Well, cause I was in the bed, it was before 6 am & I didn't work there. I told her she had the wrong number, and I hung up. She called me back, and argued with me that I was to so and so and that I needed to come to work! I had to keep telling her she had the wrong number.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I had someone call me from a local Tyson plant, wondering where I was, as I wasn't at work. Well, cause I was in the bed, it was before 6 am & I didn't work there. I told her she had the wrong number, and I hung up. She called me back, and argued with me that I was to so and so and that I needed to come to work! I had to keep telling her she had the wrong number.

There is a dentist in town whose telephone number is one digit different than mine at the office.  Many many wrong numbers over the decades.  Usually I give the correct and explain their one digit mistake.  So I am used to wrong numbers but one woman called wrong but not for the dentist and was so put out the number was not right.  She "told" me to look it up for her in the telephone directory.  I said "do I sound like a telephone operator?" I hung up.  I did help a woman calling from Oregon who called here by mistake and found the correct number for her.  We talked for about 15 minutes, it was so nice.  People could get a lot more out of life if they were pleasant to begin with.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

If I had a call from someone I recognized and he asked for my BIL, we would have nice chat.  

For sure I would not have him told I was a wrong number.  Now that would be rude I think.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The rudest I ever heard was back in the 80's my aunt had a woman who called twice within moments asking for someone.  My aunt told her both times she had the wrong number.  When the woman called back immediately a third time still asking for the same man and my aunt repeated again she still had the wrong number, the woman loudly asked her THEN WHY DO YOU KEEP ANSWERING IT?  Aunt Gaye hung up and the woman did not call back.

@beckyb1012   Sounds like a kid/teen making a prank call.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I never answer the phone or door unless I know who it is and want to speak to them. It's my phone and my home and I choose who is allowed in. It's a safety issue as well. I also put my phone on do not disturb at night so no one except family can disturb me before I wake up. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   If it was a name you knew, I don't understand why you hung up on the person.

Do you mean it was the church number?  Or the name of a person?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I was taught proper phone etiquette even working part-time in an office as a teenager.  Even when its a company you have done business with, or your doctor's or dentist's office, church etc they never identify themselves when they call.  For example, they should say "This is Ms. Jones from Dr. Shipley's office" may I speak to Ms...........    Instead they say, "Am I speaking to Ms......."?.  And with these scammers it could be a poofed number, so I say...."Who are you,and what company are you affilated with????"........And if this is a legit call you can sense that they are somewhat embarrassed and realize they didnt do something right on a simple call like confirming an appointment etc...........Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

There is a dentist in town whose telephone number is one digit different than mine at the office.  Many many wrong numbers over the decades.  Usually I give the correct and explain their one digit mistake.  So I am used to wrong numbers but one woman called wrong but not for the dentist and was so put out the number was not right.  She "told" me to look it up for her in the telephone directory.  I said "do I sound like a telephone operator?" I hung up.  I did help a woman calling from Oregon who called here by mistake and found the correct number for her.  We talked for about 15 minutes, it was so nice.  People could get a lot more out of life if they were pleasant to begin with.

Yes indeed. I have also had a few people call me with the wrong number, and I have had nice conversations with them.

One time, my dad was calling his mother. He thought he was talking to granny, and after they had been on the phone quite a while, he asked about one of her neighbors, and the lady didn't know who he was talking about- he'd dialed the wrong number, but they had a great conversation.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat   Don't you love it.  My favorite calls were when I worked.  I always answered Good morning/afternoon, Attorney Jone's Office.

I got, "is this the Courthouse?"  No, it is Attorney Jone's Office. (what I didn't say but wanted to, "did I say East Begeezus County Courthouse?")

When asked what type of matter they were calling about, wills, criminal, real estate.  I got, it's a legal matter. (You called a law office I figured it was a legal matter.) Didn't say it, but man, I wanted to.

I got what's the phone number for the deli next door/the new grocery store/the bar up the street?  Why call a law office instead of information?

Once I got right out of the gate, "do I have an appointment at your office?"   Can I have your name?  (If I were Kreskin I'd buy a lottery ticket.)

Some days I bit my tongue to hard it's a wonder it didn't fall on the floor.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a funny story about a wrong number.

This happened in the 1980's when I was in high school, so way before cell phones, texting, etc.

Oh, and we were living in Sacramento at the time.

My mom just happened to have the same name as a Senator, both first and last names were the same.

One night, the phone rang, and I answered it.

The voice on the other end asked for my mom, so I hollered, "Mom! It's for you!"

My mom picked up the extension, and the person on the other end started talking politics, after confirming that it was Jane Smith. Not Senator Smith, just Jane Smith.

My mom let the person continue to talk about what to do at the Capital, interjecting an occasional "Uh-huh" and "I see" here and there.

Finally, when it came time for my mom to speak, she said to the caller, "You want Senator Jane Smith. This is private citizen Jane Smith".

The caller immediately apologized and hung up.

So, for a brief moment, my mom could have changed political policies!😄😄😄😄

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.