Esteemed Contributor

Re: People Who Don't Say Thank You

@esmeraldagooch, thank you! Dr. Wayne Dyer was such a gift. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Who raised this "new generation of kids with no manners" ? Aren't they your kids and grandkids? Sounds like it's everyone else's children except the people on this board.

No, aren't mine. I'm childless by choice. I just have to contend with everybody else's. LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Who raised this "new generation of kids with no manners" ? Aren't they your kids and grandkids? Sounds like it's everyone else's children except the people on this board.

No, aren't mine. I'm childless by choice. I just have to contend with everybody else's. LOL

Same for me.

Esteemed Contributor

It's all in how you were raised. Common courtesy and appreciation has to be instilled at an early age by the nurturers of the child. Otherwise, children being self centered creatures at birth, will never get beyond the ME.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

LOL .... I was thinking the same thing.  Woman LOL

Obviously there has been a serious breakdown in teaching manners to the next generation.  If the grandkids (and those of that age) aren't being raised properly when it comes to manners, whose fault is that?

Not a baby boomer, but I  send out thank you cards for the gifts they receive.  (I am fine if they just sign their name, and I write the rest)  Sometimes, we thank them by calling too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Life is too precious and short to waste time, thought or energy on such minutiae. The way other people behave is on them. I can only control my behavior and reactions.

Yes!

It's not even a blip on my radar if someone doesn't say, "Please", or "thank-you", or if they say, "No problem".

Why waste energy getting upset.

It isn't going to affect them any. You (general meaning) are only going to make yourself upset, and what good does that do anybody?

I just don't get the ire over "no worries" (which I rarely hear" or "no prob(lem)" which I sometimes use myself, depending. People clearly KNOW what is meant by it - a response to Thank You.  It's not as if there is a single prescribed way to respond to Thank You as delineated by the Response Police.

Much of this thread reminds me of the whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, Mine's Okay/Yours Isn't "battle." Tempest in a teapot.

Exactly!

Example:

"Can you hand me that pen, please?"

"Sure!"

"Thanks!"

"No problem!"

Not every situation requires a formal conversation.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Life is too precious and short to waste time, thought or energy on such minutiae. The way other people behave is on them. I can only control my behavior and reactions.

Yes!

It's not even a blip on my radar if someone doesn't say, "Please", or "thank-you", or if they say, "No problem".

It isn't going to affect them any. You (general meaning) are only going to make yourself upset, and what good does that do anybody?

I just don't get the ire over "no worries" (which I rarely hear" or "no prob(lem)" which I sometimes use myself, depending. People clearly KNOW what is meant by it - a response to Thank You.  It's not as if there is a single prescribed way to respond to Thank You as delineated by the Response Police.

Much of this thread reminds me of the whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, Mine's Okay/Yours Isn't "battle." Tempest in a teapot.

Exactly!

Example:

"Sure!"

"Thanks!"

"No problem!"

It's all about manners and common courtesy. I see in your example you use a thanks, though. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Yes!

Exactly!

Example:

"Sure!"

"Thanks!"

"No problem!"

It's all about manners and common courtesy. I see in your example you use a thanks, though. 

Yes, but a "proper" and "civil" person with "manners" would have said, "Thank-you!"

*lol*

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

For some reason this thread reminds me of bar etiquette. Someone buys you a drink, now you're expected to buy them a drink. I'd rather just pay for my own stuff and not have to play the game of who owes what and deal with the people keeping score. If I give you something or do something for you it's because I wanted to and I don't need anything in return.

ohhhhhh i think i must have missed out on that piece of bar etiquette!!!! lol

i cannot say that my friends or family members follow this rule at all. sometimes i enjoy buying a drink for someone.......and sometimes it makes me smile when someone buys a drink for me!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

For those of you who complain that family members do not send Thank YOU's for gifts sent for birthdays, holidays, etc I have one question:  Why are you still sending these ungrateful people gifts?    It would only take one time with no Thank You and they would be off my gift giving list.