Esteemed Contributor

Re: People Who Don't Say Thank You

I used to tell my kids no one owes you anything,when they give you a gift always always say thank you. If it's a dollar or a thousand dollars,they didn't HAVE to give you anything,be grateful.  People today seem to feel they're owed something,entitled to gifts.  When you feel that way you're bound for disappointment.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Who raised this "new generation of kids with no manners" ? Aren't they your kids and grandkids? Sounds like it's everyone else's children except the people on this board.

@proudlyfromNJ

LOL .... I was thinking the same thing.  Woman LOL

Obviously there has been a serious breakdown in teaching manners to the next generation.  If the grandkids (and those of that age) aren't being raised properly when it comes to manners, whose fault is that?

Respected Contributor

i'm on the board of a women's club here where i live, so i get quite a few emails from our membership who are my peers.  i'm really surprised and shocked sometimes how they want something from me and don't even have the courtesy to say please or thank you.  most of our membership is not like this, so when this occurs, these women stick out in my mind. i have to bite my tongue to not say something!

Respected Contributor

I always thank clerks, etc. also. The response that bugs me is "no problem." Whatever happened to, "You're welcome?"

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Life is too precious and short to waste time, thought or energy on such minutiae. The way other people behave is on them. I can only control my behavior and reactions.

Yes!

It's not even a blip on my radar if someone doesn't say, "Please", or "thank-you", or if they say, "No problem".

Why waste energy getting upset.

It isn't going to affect them any. You (general meaning) are only going to make yourself upset, and what good does that do anybody?

Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

I always thank clerks, etc. also. The response that bugs me is "no problem." Whatever happened to, "You're welcome?"

@Yardlie

I don't understand that, either.   I recently had to pass by someone in a retail aisle and said "excuse me" ... and his response was "no worries".   ????    Who said there were any worries?    Strange reply ... IMO.

Honored Contributor

Just ran across this (from an email newsletter)::::   "Old-fashioned niceties that deserve a comeback  Real Simple.com "  ......... (Just Web search those quoted words.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I always send thank you notes for even the smallest favor/gift.  But my purpose here is to tell you that even though my husband came from a family that did not thank, he writes the most beautiful thank you notes.  He has a part time job where people often give small tokens of appreciation to him.  He will always write a thank you.  He always writes thank you notes to our children for their gifts.  People will often tell me about the nice note they got from him.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Life is too precious and short to waste time, thought or energy on such minutiae. The way other people behave is on them. I can only control my behavior and reactions.

Yes!

It's not even a blip on my radar if someone doesn't say, "Please", or "thank-you", or if they say, "No problem".

Why waste energy getting upset.

It isn't going to affect them any. You (general meaning) are only going to make yourself upset, and what good does that do anybody?

I just don't get the ire over "no worries" (which I rarely hear" or "no prob(lem)" which I sometimes use myself, depending. People clearly KNOW what is meant by it - a response to Thank You.  It's not as if there is a single prescribed way to respond to Thank You as delineated by the Response Police.

Much of this thread reminds me of the whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, Mine's Okay/Yours Isn't "battle." Tempest in a teapot.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

I don't even notice. I don't keep a score card nor do I do nice things for people expecting anything in return. I prefer genuine responses to ones made out of habit or obligation. I think way too many people spend their time just looking for something to complain about. And yes I do live in an area where manners matter and I say thank you often. But it doesn't bother me if other people don't thank me. 

I can agree with you, to a certain extent.  When I don't get a sincere "thank you", they are telling me not to waste any of my future efforts on them,

When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller