Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Don't Say Thank You

Who raised this "new generation of kids with no manners" ? Aren't they your kids and grandkids? Sounds like it's everyone else's children except the people on this board.

Regular Contributor

I don't let it bother me too much but when I hold a door open for someone and they don't say Thank You, I say out loud " you're welcome"  don't know if they hear me or not but I say it anyway. I always say thank you if someone hold the door for me or lets me go ahead in a checkout line. Guess it was the way I was bought up.

Honored Contributor

"Please", "Thank you" and using them when appropriate takes SECONDS. To not is to be rude. And that says a great deal about the person. Yes, yes it does.

Respected Contributor

Saying please, thank you, and you're welcome is said on a daily basis in our home. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always say thank you and I still say please too.  Whenever I leave a cashier at any store I wish them a great day too.

It's not hard to say these things, it's not hard to be polite.  It's not hard to be kind or to do a kind thing for someone.  It's not at all hard to still hold a door open for someone behind you, in fact it's not even hard to open a door for someone before you pass through it yourself.

These things many of us grew up learning never cost us anything. 

Nice - some things for nothing still do exist.  I love it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't even notice. I don't keep a score card nor do I do nice things for people expecting anything in return. I prefer genuine responses to ones made out of habit or obligation. I think way too many people spend their time just looking for something to complain about. And yes I do live in an area where manners matter and I say thank you often. But it doesn't bother me if other people don't thank me. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I couldn't get a thank you or please from my deceased husband. Finally when he was sick I heard him say it. I am still mad why his nieces and nephews never sent a sympathy card after he died this year. He gave each of them $10,000 from the money his mother left him and they are all around 50 years old.

Respected Contributor

My husband is one that doesn't say please and thank you here at home.  When he doesn't say please or thank you at appropriate times, I say "your mom didn't teach you manners, did she?"  Of course I only say that if we are alone.  It really irritates me.

He uses his manners with others though (at least most of the time).  I guess he's too lazy to use them with me. 

My granddaughter recently had a baby shower and I was so glad she sent out "thank you" notes!  I think she is the only one out of 8 grandkids that I have ever received a "thank you" note from. 

The others I have to call or message them to make sure they have gotten their gifts if I have mailed them.  I blame their parents (my kids) for that.

Honored Contributor

Manners went out the window, years ago.

Respected Contributor

Life is too precious and short to waste time, thought or energy on such minutiae. The way other people behave is on them. I can only control my behavior and reactions.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown