Trusted Contributor

Re: People Who Don't Say Thank You

THANK YOU Coupon Queen! That thread, which is available for anyone to read, caused me so much heartache. Yes it is silly since this is just a forum and most of don't know eachother in person, but my gosh I had no idea people could be so cruel. I have been here for 4-5 years and I feel like I've been made out to be a freak. I am SO NOT, I can't emphasize that enough. Why the heck would I make up the stuff I post? I am sorry I don't live a charmed life.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Valued Contributor

@Baileybut wrote:

Yes this aggravates me too! My husband's family never sends thank you. When my niece graduated high school we could not attend party since husband had surgery and came home from hospital day party was. I mailed card and check and never heard in two months from my niece. Called mother in law whom lives nearby to them. She asked my sister in law why they didn't send thank you. Sister in law reply was " who sends thank you cards, you open the card and throw it in trash any way! Unreal! Entire family no thank you cards for showers, birthdays, graduation and etc. When I vent to hubby he tells me that's how that are don't make big deal out of it! My family we were raised exact opposite! 

I would have been livid! You are so right and SIL was wrong period. I just do not know where manners have gone in ths world we live in. I think if you start teaching them right from very small like 4 or 5 and drill it in their head for all gifts they get. If they are to young to write, at least dial the # for them and tell the child it is nice to at least say thank you to the person.

bamasec

Frequent Contributor

Smiley Madhearing "yup" is like fingernails on a chalkboard

Super Contributor

I knew a gal who was thinking about stopping sending gifts to her grandkids because they didn't write thank you notes to her. 

I asked her if she wrote thank you notes to them when they mowed her lawn, fixed things, and did general odd jobs. She said 'no, of course not, they KNOW I appreciate it!'. Now she accepts their verbal thanks, and focuses on enjoying them. 

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Sydney H says she can think of bigger pet peeves. I believe that the simple act of saying thank you is a "building block" of sorts. It is a reflection of what is to come. People who have gratitude and can empathize and appreciate  don't go on to do the things that may be "bigger pet peeves'.

My goodness the thank you note. If someone spends such a high amount of the money they worked long hours for, the least you can do is send a nice thank you note. Basamec is totally right. I bought A nice little set of thank you notes not too long ago just in case.

@JBKO  I have to agree with you - common courtesy as a building block to people relating to one another - respect, and all that.

While it used to bother me, I just look at the non-thanking person as an ignorant arse.

One may not be brought up to write notes but there really is no reason not to say "Thank you".

As far as thank you notes, my son always sent them and even my in-laws were surprised that kids still did this, and that was back in the 1980's.  So I can imagine how little it's taught in this centry.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

Cute Story -

DS who is now almost thirty used to love helping to hold doors open for people when he was a little guy (about 3-4).  One day we were goi into a restaurant and he helped hold the door for a person (don't recall if it was a man or women)....the person did not acknowledge it and DS turned to me and said loudly, "Mommy!  That person didn't say 'thank you'!!  How rude!!"

Out of the mouths of babes....