Respected Contributor

Re: People Who Call Everyone "My Friend"

The first host I heard that from was Mary D. and it was with a celebrity (can't remember who, though).  When she said it like that several times, it came across as her wanting the audience to know that she was buddies with a celebrity. I only say that to my real friends. 

Honored Contributor

It's a common tactic used to draw people in, whether it's an ideology or sales.

Scott Grimes from Jai Jewelry says it all the time, in every show. 

Honored Contributor

I like how the British say "love"-Let me help you love.

Or how on the Eastern Shore, Baltimore and other places say "Hon"-there is nothing better because even though strangers they usually mean it.

Once in a town in VA visiting a college, at the grocery store and everywhere they asked-"how you doin hon?" And then they waited until you told them how you were doing!!

Amazing. They really were asking and wanted to know.

But yeah sometimes it just becomes a mindless automatic habit. Maybe they like the sound of themselves saying my friend or something😬

The one I don't like for no defineable reason is "enjoy"! It's become such a used ending when someone presents something. I know people just mean it to be nice but I always feel like I'll enjoy it if I feel like it lol! It brings out my rebellious streak for some absurd reason. 

The only time this doesn't bother me is when a chef or waiter brings a plate to the table and says "enjoy."

It is nice to talk about our pet peeves. I know some hate "honey" but I like it.😊

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay  I've watched many episodes of "Vera," from British TV. She's a tough cop, but she calls everyone Luv. The first time I heard it, I thought, What?? But, now it seems like she's just trying to get people to open up to her.

Honored Contributor

No, it doesn't bother me one bit.  I have never even thought about it.

I have heard people call others horrible things.....friend is not one of them.

Honored Contributor

I like being called luv, hon, many things except ma'am. A young man called me that when I was about 30 or 40 and I thought wait, when did I become a ma'am?! It made me feel so old.(not that aging is a bad thing just I didn't feel "old" at 30 something!) Course he probably meant it as respect, anyone older than he, but I thought in a few years he will be "old" too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with it.  No one takes it literally.   

Esteemed Contributor

Yes - drives me nuts.  Mary D - QVC - really overworks it........

Respected Contributor

That doesn't bother me. JT with her I love your and hugging and on the verge of tears is annoying. She wants to be liked so desperately.

Respected Contributor

No, it does not bother me, seem disingenuous at all.  It is just another term of politeness, endearment.  Not meant in a bad way so I don't take it as such.