Esteemed Contributor

Re: People On Foot Using The Drive-Thru

@Sooner wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Isn't that what ATMs are for???  Why use a drive thru??

@kaydee50 Not everyone on the planet has a car.  Not everone wants to go in.  I feel sure there are homeless people, people on the streets, elderly people, etc. out there who might do this.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and it doesn't hurt me that someone would want or need to do this. 

Excellent point @Sooner  If it wasn't allowed there should be signs or the teller should deny service. The bank controls how they service customers.  

Yes I have seen it and it doesn't bother me one bit.  Give people the benefit of the doubt as they may have a very good reason.  Car or walk up, same amount of time for the transaction so who are they hurting? 

While I may go the the drive through ATM maybe once or twice a year for cash and do all my banking with my phone many people are not comfortable with on line banking so do what they are comfortable with. I would not complain about them.

Honored Contributor

A lady I worked with went through the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant on her bicycle and they turned her away.
Respected Contributor

Personally, I would not walk up to a drive-thru, I wouldn't feel safe.  However, if someone else wants to I wouldn't mind.  EXCEPT, like you say, if their transaction is complicated and takes more than a minute or two, I would definitely have a problem.  I would have the same problem if it was another car taking up too much time with a complication transaction that requires a lot of communication and/or sending the tube back and forth.  That's just inconsiderate, and just like people using the express check-out for large purchases, the cashier needs to speak up for the sake of everyone behind them who are there for quick trips.

Honored Contributor

I remember asking if I could do that when I was a kid and the fear of God was put into me about it. "NO! You'd get run over!" So I wouldn't even consider it.

A few responses here have helped me understand why someone might choose to, particularly in the case of a bank drive thru. I'd still be too afraid of being run over to try it myself.

I've never seen it done. And I think that if I were to see it, I would be very worried for the person, and I'd assume they would be turned away because they weren't in a car.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The Bank of America has closed all drive in windows in the Albuquerque area branches so I guess it's a moot point.

How come @Kachina624 ?

I haven't been inside a branch in at least 5 years.

@RespectLife    I haven't either and don't know the reason.  I do everything online and rarely need cash.  I use my debit card for everything.  Deposit checks online.

@Kachina624 

I was wondering if there were a lot of robberies...I am always a bit leery in the dark!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@persiflage  Had it been 1 woman and a quick transaction that is one thing.

After waiting for several minutes they sent the tube back, the woman took something out, proceeded to sign something, send it back and we waited again. That was just the 1st woman.

**************************************************************************************

In 2018 our city code was changed making it a violation for a drive-through window to deny service to bikers and pedestrians if the business is open and other entrances for service are unavailable or locked.  Most patrons don't seem to object even when the establishment is open and the person could go inside, no honking or anger that I have observed.  I figure they are in line ahead of me regardless of how they got there.  

Our bank drive-through has a sign stating "single transactions only" but often people appear to be transacting a lot of business back and forth at the window.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

One time at fast food they got my order wrong--again.

I looked at the drive up window and saw it was an "accident waiting to happen" and took the issue inside.

Esteemed Contributor

Today I was at the red light, turned to my left and there was a guy in a bicycle waiting in line to use Well’s Fargo ATM. Don’t blame him, gas too expensive.

Honored Contributor

Drive through lanes are called that for a reason.  Maybe banks need to consider a "walk up" window? I won't use the ATMs at my bank.  There are two, one in front, a few feet from a busy boulevard and one behind the building completely obscured.  I don't consider either to be safe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If I have a transaction I think will take time i never use the drive thru, I go inside to do my banking.

I see no point in making people wait for me when I can go in and not hold up the line of cars.

At the grocery store I always let people with a few go ahead if I have a full cart.  Again, why make them wait.