Honored Contributor

Re: People Have The Right To Be Wrong

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.  My elderly mother needed me to drive her several places today and I came home and got company.  They just left. I am about to have my supper.  Will try to get back after I eat. 

Valued Contributor

No one actually exercises the "right to be wrong."  Lot of people are wrong (I know we're all wrong about something at one time or another.) but they don't know they're wrong, or don't believe that they are wrong.  They think they are right, which of course is wrong. 

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

People have a right to be correct also, even when others reject facts that are there in black and white.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this is about us giving people the right to be wrong without that bothering us.  No one likes to be told they are wrong.  It  was about stuffing each others wrongs back in each others faces.  It's about letting other people be wrong without telling them they are wrong to promote better conversations.  It is not telling them they are right....it is not telling them they are wrong.  If they are wrong it is something they must learn for themselves.  So until you yourself are ready to see it...you will not see it. That goes for all people. That's basically what the guy was saying.

I agree this could be taken a lot of different ways.  If I had created the title myself, I think I might have said..."we need to give people the right to be wrong"  On the other hand that is not for us to give and you get into the matter of choice...so I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this!!  Everyones take on it has been interesting.  It was more the title that drew me in....

Respected Contributor

I don't believe being wrong is a right. I think it is a choice. 

There are plenty of truths that some people just don't want to accept. To elevate ignorance and a stubborn need to continue believing something that is incorrect to a "right" is not the thing to do.  

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

There are plenty of truths that some people just don't want to accept. To elevate ignorance and a stubborn need to continue be***

******************* But what is truth to one person may not be truth to another person.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting topic. To me the statement comes across as going with the flow, letting people be who they are. We don’t have to try to control them or their thoughts. It’s also another way of saying – let’s agree to disagree.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

People also have a "right" to be stupid,  but it's a waste of human life.

************  I think that would depend one's definition of stupid.  You may think that person is stupid but they may think you are stupid.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I think this is about us giving people the right to be wrong without that bothering us.  No one likes to be told they are wrong.  It  was about stuffing each others wrongs back in each others faces.  It's about letting other people be wrong without telling them they are wrong to promote better conversations.  It is not telling them they are right....it is not telling them they are wrong.  If they are wrong it is something they must learn for themselves.  So until you yourself are ready to see it...you will not see it. That goes for all people. That's basically what the guy was saying.

I agree this could be taken a lot of different ways.  If I had created the title myself, I think I might have said..."we need to give people the right to be wrong"  On the other hand that is not for us to give and you get into the matter of choice...so I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this!!  Everyones take on it has been interesting.  It was more the title that drew me in....

there are ways to correct someone, but seriously, if people cannot accept being corrected with facts, it tells me that they do not want to know the correct information and blindly have their own narrative.

If you are refering to life choices, like marrying the wrong person and refusing to accept what others can see, at some point and time, you will have to admit you are wrong in that choice.      However, most people aren't going to "correct" you on your choice of partner (maybe some close friends and family)   

Or taking  a risk that everyone thinks is a bad move. Those things are personal life experiences.  What I was thinking of when I read your OP, was about people denying basic and factual information.   Not life choices.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

There are plenty of truths that some people just don't want to accept. To elevate ignorance and a stubborn need to continue be***

******************* But what is truth to one person may not be truth to another person.

I never understood that statement.  I think it gets misused way too much in order for people to ignore science, factual statistics and information.    

It isn't truth to that person if  their belief flies in the face of logic and facts.  That is just their totally incorrect and illoglic opinion

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames