Honored Contributor

Re: People Have The Right To Be Wrong

have never heard the phrase "people have the right to be wrong."

i have heard "people have the right to their own opinions" and "people can say or think what they want to say or think."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Being wrong is not a "right".  Sometimes it just accidentally happens.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

What do you think about this saying?  I think it is true.

no,  People have a right to their opinion.   It doesn't matter if you think it's wrong.

Respected Contributor

They have the right to be wrong, but there are consequences if it affects others in negatively. 

I would hope that people would recognize that they are wrong and try to correct that, but lately, I've come to the conclusion that people just want to hold onto that ignorance.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I just remembered.  In this country you can be wrong.  In many countries, you can't afford to be wrong. 

@Puzzle Piece

B I N G O !!!!! 

How true, so very and absolutely true. 

How very quick you were to that answer.............

Respected Contributor

Being wrong is not a 'right.'  It is a result of wrong choices, incorrect information, or misinterpretation of facts, something we are all guilty of at some time or another.  If you are 'wrong', it is best to apologize, correct the wrong, or at least admit you are wrong.

It is not appropriate to call it a right to be wrong.

Honored Contributor

Every body is wrong about some things,we are human!!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

People also have a "right" to be stupid,  but it's a waste of human life.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

The subject this man was talking about was how no one really likes to be told they are wrong.  When you are  having a converstation and when we tell someone they're wrong we need to ask ourselves how we feel when someone tells us that.  There was a lot more to it than this but that is the jest of it.

Now THIS I do have a problem with.  People need to learn how to handle being told they were wrong, or they made a mistake without it being crushing news!  Nobody is perfect.  I had to deal with this sort of thing when I worked - people would report a computer or program issue that turned out wasn't an issue, it was a user created problem.  Some people would get their "feelings" hurt when you showed them what the problem was and the correct way to do it no matter how you did it.  To this day I still can't fathom how people can not cope with facts and that they aren't perfect.

This is more about learning how to accept correction than it is about providing the correct info IMHO. 

Honored Contributor

Much of the time, "wrong" is in the eye of the beholder and is relative, if you're speaking of opinion. It's irrelevant to me  if people think my opinion is "wrong."

If speaking of the sciences, for example, or questions with definitive documented correct answers, then yes, people have the right to be wrong ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all