Honored Contributor

Pearl Harbor was on my local news and national news. Six and six thirty. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Both NBC and ABC on their evening national newscasts had segments on Pearl Harbor.  NBC, with Lester Holt, saluted Tuskegee Airman Brigadier General Charles McGee on the occasion of his 101st birthday in conjunction with its Pearl Harbor coverage.

Gen. McGee resides in Bethesda, Md., and his birthday celebration was broadcast last night for us in the D.C. Metro Area.  He is a sterling example of bravery and manhood.  You might recall that he and his grandson attended the State of the Union address this past year.

https://www.11alive.com/article/life/heartwarming/tuskegee-airman-brigadier-general-charles-mcgee-ce...

Yes, that's the way it should be. This thread is 2 years old, so things are looking up!

Honored Contributor

Our local (Honolulu) paper didn't even cover it.  How disgustingly sad is that?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

It was mentioned on CNN.  What was also mentioned was that the same number of people are now being killed by covid in ONE day.  Probably includes vets from the war.

Honored Contributor

My dad was on his way over to Pearl Harbor when it was attacked.  He arrived two days later and helped with the clean up.  He passed in 1998 but if he were still alive he would have turned 100 this year.

Honored Contributor

https://external-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQAbMSMOPtcPTyWJ&w=500&h=261&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.baltimoresun.com%2Fresizer%2FNhb3ysEIX9sNn8l4XSK3f9Jb4NM%3D%2F1200x0%2Ftop%2Fcloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com%2Ftronc%2FFWQA5XGA3ZBZFHJ65E76DJ3NVM.JPG&cfs=1&ext=jpg&_nc_cb=1&_nc_hash=AQC9mS3AyXzIx89Z

"The bell of the USS Maryland has sat in Annapolis for nearly 60 years, the last piece of a ship sold for scrap metal.

But the bell, and the ship on which it sailed, spent much of the second World War across the country. It was one of the ships docked at Pearl Harbor during the attack 79 years ago today.

The Maryland, also called 'Fighting Mary,' was an old ship by the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, said Capt. Chris Hemler, an instructor at the Naval Academy." The Colorado-class ship was commissioned in1921.

The ship had been in Pearl Harbor for about a year before the attacks, Hemler said, a sign that the United States was preparing for war in the Pacific. It lay next to the USS Oklahoma, which likely protected it from getting more damage. The ship was hit by two aerial bombs, Hemler said, which took the lives of two sailors and two officers.

While the ship was on battleship row during Pearl Harbor, it is more known for its contribution in battles in other areas of the Pacific.

read more...... (this was an article from the baltimore sun today and was also shared by governor hogan.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

I have lived in Hawai'i my whole life. Every year there is a beautiful ceremony to commemorate the loss that was suffered at Pearl Harbor. During the ceremony there are remembrances, time of silence for the lives lost, an overhead "missing man" formation by fighter jets, and a destroyer that passes by the Arizona Memorial with crew at attention along the decks in honor of the dead. The ceremony is highly attended and the surviving Veterans are usually in attendance, but due to COVID it was scaled down & broadcasted remotely this year.

I don't get the local newspaper anymore, so have no idea if anything was mentioned. This year all our publications have been pared down and very minimal.

In past years there was always a huge front page article, photos past & present, and human interest stories (usually of the surviving Veterans).  

Our local news had numerous reports on the above ceremony, surviving Veterans, and about the day in history. The broadcasts were seen from each news time during the early morning, early evening, and now during the late evening news. The last surviving Veteran that lives here in Hawai'i also had an interview featured. Being Hawaii, the location that the event happened, it will always be remembered & commemorated.

I also saw a few stories on CBS news during morning & evening broadcasts. So, I guess it depends what news station you watch.

My DH has actually been filming during the last week for broadcast in Japan. He covered many interviews, this morning's ceremony, showcased inside the National Parks Service museum at Pearl Harbor, and filmed aboard the Arizona Memorial & the Missouri. He was impressed with the thought & dignity displayed and deeply moved by the reverence given.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife -- yes, I'm disappointed Pearl Harbor wasn't even mentioned in Hawaii's newspapers.  Such a shame.   

I looked for TV news stories yesterday morning, but didn't see any mention of it until the NBC news at 5:30.   My dad is 100 and he remembers hearing news reports on his radio back then.  His whole family gathered around the radio to listen to Roosevelt's speech and to declare war on Japan.  I'm proud that he is a Veteran of WWII.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I already posted I saw stories about it on our local NY news and world news. I also saw a football announcer on Monday night football pay respects to the tragedy at Pearl Harbor. So sorry some of you didn't have it mentioned on your news reports or perhaps you just missed it.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

At least we did have coverage on our local 6pm & 6:30pm news.  It was quite touching.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.