Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I have seen several stories on our local news in NYC about Pearl Harbor.  There is a ceremony every year on the Intrepid and they interviewed a 96 and 99 year old survivor of the attack. To hear their memories of that day is so touching.  It was also reported that this is the first year none of the remaining survivors were well enough to attend the memorial service in Hawaii.  

I have been to Pearl Harbor and seeing it in person is so sad, but the memorial is still a beautiful tribute to all those lost that day.

You are right, we must never forget and thanks to all for their service.

@twinsister. I also saw the Pearl Harbor stories on the NY local news. It certainly was a day that will live in infamy.

I have also been to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Very sad and will never forget.

Regular Contributor

One thing that really sets my teeth on edge is when the media calls it a "surprise" attack. No, it wasn't; it was a SNEAK attack. Heck the Japanese diplomats were trying to arrange a treaty with the US even as they knew their government was planning the attack.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not critical of the Japanese people (who probably didn't know anything about it) but of the -- in FDR's words -- "dastardly and unprovoked" attack by the Empire of Japan.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad someone wrote this. My dad wasn't at Pearl Harbor but served in the army air corp in the Pacific. My neighbor across the street was a Pearl Harbor survivor. I didn't see any mention on this in the paper or TV. either

Respected Contributor

My dad, though not at Pearl Harbor, was a WWII vet.  He couldn't wait to serve but wasn't old enough for a few years after the attack. As soon as he could do so, he quit HS and signed up.

He and his generation of young men (and women) never seemed to ask for any recognition for their sacrifice.  They came home after the war was over, went to work, got married and raised their families.  

I'm glad to see that folks on here recognize that we wouldn't be living the life we have without the sacrifice of those who've served and it's nice to see appreciation for veterans, especially our most fragile and dwindling population of WWII vets, many of whom are in nursing homes.  (I'm glad to read this discussion as opposed to discussions I saw online in the summertime about how folks felt the elderly, which includes many veterans, have lived their lives and if they get sick and die, it's survival of the fittest so no one need worry about losing them.) 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

[ Edited ]

It's interesting that a poster resurrected this thread, that no one started a new one this year. And if my newspaper today mentioned it, I must have missed it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Strange how thoughts come into our heads. When I was a child my Grandmother had an ashtray with Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941, the writing embossed around the edge. It was a  metal ashtray maybe aluminum.  I thought what is that for?  What does it mean? She didn't smoke but it was a memento probably  given to her by her son who was in the Navy in WWII. @lovesrecess  Thankyou for posting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been thinking of this day for the last three days.  When I grew up, there was much attention paid to Pearl Harbor Day.

Then again, so many folks still had a circular portrait of FDR displayed on a wall in their home or business during my youth.  That portrait was prominently displayed well into the '60s, as I recall.  My father had it in a circular preformed frame that he proudly displayed in his restaurant.  It might have been an oval shape; my memory is a bit hazy on the shape.  The photo of FDR's head and shoulders was lifted from this photo below.

Honored Contributor

i know that this thread is from 2018, but i will respond anyway.

i do know that whoopi mentioned pearl harbor briefly today on THE VIEW.

npr did a story today regarding world war 2.

we had the chance to go to pearl harbor about a year and a half ago. i am ready to go again (possibly in may if it works out.) it is a very sobering experience and the movie that they show is excellent. it is a very busy place that gets a lot of visitors. i remember we had to be there i think around 7am to get in a long line just to get tickets.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The attack on Pearl Harbor was 79 years ago today. Early this year, the Navy announced it would name a carrier after one of the day's heroes, the first black sailor awarded the Navy Cross.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both NBC and ABC on their evening national newscasts had segments on Pearl Harbor.  NBC, with Lester Holt, saluted Tuskegee Airman Brigadier General Charles McGee on the occasion of his 101st birthday in conjunction with its Pearl Harbor coverage.

Gen. McGee resides in Bethesda, Md., and his birthday celebration was broadcast last night for us in the D.C. Metro Area.  He is a sterling example of bravery and manhood.  You might recall that he and his grandson attended the State of the Union address this past year.

https://www.11alive.com/article/life/heartwarming/tuskegee-airman-brigadier-general-charles-mcgee-ce...