Honored Contributor

Today is Pearl Harbor Day; a day to remember the brave men who died in the attack in Hawaii and spurred our involvement in WWII.

My father served in FIji during WWII....fewer survivors of this war every day.

I have heard not even a single word on the TV, social media, or radio or newspaper acknowledging Pearl Harbor.

We must never forget that infamous day.

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen several stories on our local news in NYC about Pearl Harbor.  There is a ceremony every year on the Intrepid and they interviewed a 96 and 99 year old survivor of the attack. To hear their memories of that day is so touching.  It was also reported that this is the first year none of the remaining survivors were well enough to attend the memorial service in Hawaii.  

I have been to Pearl Harbor and seeing it in person is so sad, but the memorial is still a beautiful tribute to all those lost that day.

You are right, we must never forget and thanks to all for their service.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

[ Edited ]

It's sad that not only have so many forgoten this day, but the many young people who have never heard of Pearl Harbor. I'm old enough to remember Roosevelt's speech when he called it "a day that will life in enfimy."  So many young lives were lost that day. To see the Arizona in Pearl Harbor is a sad reminder of the foolish behavior of misguided mankind. Thank you for remembering and reminding.

Honored Contributor
glad to know someone even commented on the news about Pearl Harbor. I know the ceremony takes place each year there....such a shame to see such an important day pretty much ignored by the media....it's almost like it never happened.
Trusted Contributor

@Perkup So true. I worked with a young lady who did not know about it.

One of my older coworkers quipped " She probably thinks it's a jewelry store at the mall".

Honored Contributor

I will admit to thinking it was strange that our Los Angeles Times had no mention of it today.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

According to CBS News, there are five remaining survivors of the 1941 attack on the USS Arizona and they are all well into their nineties:   Lou Conter, 97; Lauren Bruner, 98; Lonnie Cook, 98; Ken Potts, 97; and Don Stratton, 96.  How young they were in 1941 -- 77 years ago.  Mr. Conter said his doctor advised him not to make the trip this year, though he intends to return next year.

Although none of these five attended, the article mentioned that about 20 survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor did attend the ceremony.  I guess they were at Pearl Harbor when the attack occurred, but not stationed on the USS Arizona.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

[ Edited ]

very sad....it is a statement on what our society thinks has value. We learn from our history...and there has been so many attempts to rewrite or ignore historical events....I pray this day and what it represents will never be ignored the way it has been today.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Today is Pearl Harbor Day; a day to remember the brave men who died in the attack in Hawaii and spurred our involvement in WWII.

My father served in FIji during WWII....fewer survivors of this war every day.

I have heard not even a single word on the TV, social media, or radio or newspaper acknowledging Pearl Harbor.

We must never forget that infamous day.

I know. I think it's terrible. We watched a war movie tonite. At least TCM remembered.

"Never Forget"

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

It's sad that not only have so many forgoten this day, but the many young people who have never heard of Pearl Harbor. I'm old enough to remember Roosevelt's speech when he called it "a day that will life in enfimy."  So many young lives were lost that day. To see the Arizona in Pearl Harbor is a sad reminder of the foolish behavior of misguided mankind. Thank you for remembering and reminding.

A friend of mine and I were talking about Pearl Harbor the other day, it was such a frightening,  senseless act. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam