Honored Contributor

Peanuts at the Ballpark- Thoughts?

Just a little background...

I have food allergies and seasonal allergies. I carry an EPI pen as not all of my allergies have been diagnosed. I have had contact dermatitis and anaphylaxis.

A few months ago I went to a ballgame with BF's friend and his family. When we went out to eat before the game, the mom wiped down all surfaces (table and chairs) with antibacterial wipes before the kids sat down to eat. I thought maybe she was just a germaphobe. When we got to the stadium, she did the same thing to all the seats. Both children (elementary school age) had pretty severe food allergies and as a result they brought food with them to dinner. The little girl, who is older, has had a few anaphylactic reactions and is now terrified of having another. At about the third inning, the mom took the kids out for a break and the people sitting next to her brought out a giant bag of nuts in their shells. I was seated about three seats away from the couple. I was worried about the nuts because I learned that both kids were highly allergic to peanuts, so I traded seats so the kids weren't freaked out when they returned and saw the shells. To my surprise, when I told the man about the allergy, I learned that they were not peanuts, but rather pistachios, to which I am allergic.

As it turned out, the kids are okay with pistachios so I moved back to my seat.

I'm curious as to how you feel about peanuts/peanut shells scattered throughout the ballpark. Since I'm not allergic to them, their presence doesn't really affect me, but having attended a game with those who are I can see both sides of the issue.