Respected Contributor

I used to love pay phones and phone booths.

A by gone era. Smiley Sad

I used to wait in the phone booth for the bus as a kid and I would grudgingly come out if someone needed to make a call.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

i have not seen a pay phone in so many years.  I wish there would be more payphones around so if you do need to make an emergency call and you don't own or have a cell on you , you can get ahold of someone asap.

Honored Contributor

We have a version of the payphone around our area.

I live in a rural area that is heavily populated by some of the most staunch old order Amish left. They have no electric, phones etc, and this order doesn't even allow their people to ride bicycles.

They do have, every couple of miles or so, small wooden structures, usually located on an English property (that is what they call all non Amish) that looks like an outhouse, but has a landline phone in it, and usually a bench/desk type thing. 

It isn't unusual to drive by one of them on our roads down here, and see several buggies tied up outside, and a line for the phone!

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen a payphone booth in years and years. There is one in Adele's video for her song "Hello" but that doesn't count.  I sing along, should say I screech, trying to sing with her. Love, love, love Adele and especially that song.

Honored Contributor

There is still one outside Albertsons in my area.Thank goodness too as I have needed to use it.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

There is still one outside Albertsons in my area.Thank goodness too as I have needed to use it.

just curious......how much does it cost to make a call nowadays?

i think the LAST time i used a payphone it was 25 cents?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@dex wrote:

just curious......how much does it cost to make a call nowadays?

i think the LAST time i used a payphone it was 25 cents?

@sunshine45

According to google most are 50 cents now................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

There was actually one in a train station.  I had to contact my husband & my phone was dead.  There was someone at the pay phone, so after waiting a while & still not available, I asked someone to use their phone.  Since then, I still see it and it is in use more then you think it would be.

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U  -  Yes, just the other day and it stopped me in my tracks.  I hadn't seen one in quite a while and guess I just hadn't noticed.

Honored Contributor

http://www.payphone-directory.org/

Need to find a payphone in  your area?