Trusted Contributor

Paypal notice..HELP...I sure hope this is a scam!?

I got an email notice that a payment was authorized to someone.  It gave the amount of the purchase but didn't say what it was for.

I couldn't tell you the last time I used Paypal, and I have only used it a handful of times probably years ago.

Obviously I didn't click on any links, but can anyone tell me how I can be sure my Paypal account has not been hacked/used?

Respected Contributor

Re: Paypal notice..HELP...I sure hope this is a scam!?

@Sue98 wrote:

I got an email notice that a payment was authorized to someone.  It gave the amount of the purchase but didn't say what it was for.

I couldn't tell you the last time I used Paypal, and I have only used it a handful of times probably years ago.

Obviously I didn't click on any links, but can anyone tell me how I can be sure my Paypal account has not been hacked/used?

@Sue98 That happened to me a few years ago. I called PayPal and they canceled my account. I started a new one a year or so later. They were very understanding and it just took a few minutes.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue98 wrote:

Contact Paypal or visit your Paypal account online and look for recent transactions

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

It is most likely a scam. If you are worried and have a Paypal account, I would log into it directly and look (not via any email links.)
Honored Contributor

I'd call them, and if there is a phone number in the email don't use that.  Google them or go on the Paypal site (don't use ANY links in the email, just in case) to get contact info.

Also, if you log into your account you will see any activity and if something is there, call them ASAP.  

HTH Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It is a scam but if you are worried go check you paypal account for activity

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I have posted before that I used PP years ago.  But every month or so, I would get an email message that there was 'something' wrong with my PP account.  I would call PP and they knew nothing about the message. 

After several emails, I cancelled my PP account.  Just did not want to worry about my account's security so often. 

Super Contributor

I have discontinued using Paypal because they seem a little loose with their security.  I had two breaches within a short amount of time.  I was always worried anyway that they could get fairly easy  access to my bank account.  I informed a couple of vendors that I use who said they  only take Paypial of my concerns and they have let me use my regular charge card.  I feel better about paying this way. 

Valued Contributor

DD checked her checking account today and there was a pending Paypal deduction.  DD doesn't even have a Paypal account.  

Esteemed Contributor

Most likely a scam....Log into your Paypal account (not from the link) and see if there are any transactions....

Scmmers send these out all the time. My daughter got one and she doesn't have a Paypal account....