Trusted Contributor

Re: Paypal - What Do You Know About It?

@millieshops wrote:

@fortuneI haven't used either company for years, so my info may not be current but I think eBay and Paypal are linked.  Maybe they share info to do business -  check the privacy statements they sent you.

ebay owns Paypal.  They bought it many years ago because most ebay buyers preferred Paypal over ebay's own online payment method -- forget what it was called.  I've used Paypal at online sites for a long time, for the same reasons stated in other posts.  Now I even use Paypal to pay for my Uber rides.  My cc statement reads "paypalUber" or "paypalBallardDesigns" or whatever site I've purchased from.  It never says just "paypal".  If I return an item, the store credits my paypal account and paypal puts the credit right back on my credit card.  I love not having to use my cc number all over the Internet.

Honored Contributor

I use PayPal whenever it’s available 

Honored Contributor

@fortune

DH and I have used PP for years and it started by using eBay (as sellers).

Even tho we don’t do many transactions (eBay selling) now, this selling allowed me to understand the value of PP.

It functions like a bank, providing a service of handling money, and this is not a “free service.”

When they stated “faster delivery” I’m almost certain they were referring to the delivery of the money to the merchant. Can you imagine if you had to write a check each time? I figure that amount of time into the PP transaction.

We can send DD $ safely through use of PP.

I believe that this company guards my cc and makes my $ available to me almost anywhere in the world.

The fee used to be like .001/$100 but I will look this up. 

‘As a seller, this fee was nominal to me because I sure did not want to run people’s credit cards or take their checks directly.

HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@fortuneI haven't used either company for years, so my info may not be current but I think eBay and Paypal are linked.  Maybe they share info to do business -  check the privacy statements they sent you.

@millieshops

They are linked. I did not like that. I un-linked mine. I think that's only asking for trouble.

Esteemed Contributor

Ebay and PP broke up but you can still use PP or a cc to pay on ebay at the checkout.

If you have previously used PP on a specific retail site like say ULTA you "agree" that you always want to use that cc with ULTA when you shop. Even years later.  You have to search in your PP account to remove your preferred retailers and payments. Works better on a desktop/laptop. You can't always see various features on a mobile device or tablet.

PP can decide on its own to deny a transaction. Its frustrating. I once used PP on Best Buy's website to send a gift card to a family member. PP decided my purchase might be fraudulent and declined it. Twice.

Honored Contributor

I use PayPal more and more. It is easy and fast checkout.

Honored Contributor

What I like about PP is when I have to return something and my return postage can be refunded back to me through PP by using their 'Request return shipping refund' link found in a transaction. All you have to do is upload your postage receipt and PP takes care of the rest. Your refund goes into your PP balance account where you can transfer it out to your bank or leave it there for future purchases.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it just means the seller uses PayPal. We used a credit card on eBay and my dad was questioning that also. I dont think it means anything to the buyer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If y out do not have a PP account or have one and don't use it, you should be aware that many sellers on the internet do have a PP account.

When you use a credit card with that seller, PP processses the payment for the seller.  It is a safer way for the seller to do business and safer for the buyer. You do not have to request to use PP...it is automatic because the seller processes all CC and payment through them.

the summary is...the seller is using PP, so credit card or bankand statements will show payments to PP.

PP forwards the money to the sellers account.  I have had PP forever and love it.  They have helped me more than once with bad transactions with sellers.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

All I know is that when I use the PP payment option, when listed on a website checkout page, then I can use any of the credit cards I have placed in my PP account and that way I don't have to give my cc info to the site from which I am making my purchase. I feel a bit more secure knowing that I can go back to PP to resolve any issues, if any, with purchases I have made using PP including shipping cost refunds.

Shoekitty says

@SilleeMee. i agree!  I trust paypal more that putting my amex or bank card on an online website.  We had an issue once, it was resolved quickly, and to my satisfaction