Respected Contributor

Re: Payless Shoes Is Closing

Once upon a time.....if you didn't have a lot of money for shoes, they were OK.  That must have been when I was young.

Even when my feet started to change as I got older, I could manage to find summer shoes that I knew that I was going to chuck at the end of the summer. They were good, also, for snow boots. In recent years, however, the prices really went up and the selection went down. One day while I was browsing the shelves, a woman came in to browse and said they should have changed the name to Pay-More-For-Less. She had a point.

Between Amazon and Wal-Mart, how could they stand a chance? Some of this had to be due to overexpansion of stores. 

I do feel badly for low-income people who are not near a Wal-Mart or K-Mart or decent thrift store. Where will they go for shoes?  In general, I feel sorry when chains go under, because it's people losing jobs.

Frequent Contributor

I think their shoes were horrible. Felt stiff like cardboard.  Made the mistake once of buying a pair and never stepped foot inside their store again.  I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.  

Honored Contributor

There is a free standing store near my home and no one is ever there. I felt like it was just a matter of time before they went out of business. Still sad.

Esteemed Contributor

There is a Payless near me is in a strip mall.Everytime I’m in it it’s busy.I buy my DH & son sneakers there.I also buy DH dress shoes there.I’ll be sad to see it go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we still have a payless in our mall. it wasnt that long ago that they actually did a big remodel.

payless was a great store when my children were young (and before they knew what "designer" meant, lol) used to purchase most of their shoes at payless. they always had great, affordable deals and some nice inexpensive accessories.

it was also a great place to have shoes dyed.....i used to love to get a new outfit or dress and then get a dyed pair of shoes to match. it was a big thing to do in the 80s.

sorry that another business is folding and even more sorry for those losing their jobs.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have never been in Payless shoe store. We do have them in my area, but my feet are picky.  I hate wearing shoes...most of them hurt my feet, so I only wear certain brands.

Respected Contributor

I used to buy numerous pairs of kids shoes to donate. I would not wear anything there! The shoes were very cheap looking and not well-made

Esteemed Contributor

I hate to think about people losing their jobs. When my kids were little, I use to take them there sometimes. They had cute shoes pretty cheap.

Contributor

Sorry to hear this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a Payless at our local mall, I used to buy my sons sneakers there when he was little. Once he got to 7th grade he refused to wear sneakers from there. I just couldn't see spending big bucks for sneakers when he was out growing them every few months. I must have damaged him by buying him cheap shoes, he wears shoes and boots that cost 300 dollars or more as an adult , although he's frugal other wise.